U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 10:50 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,720,357 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the education, I never knew! I have spent far too long trying without success to explain why I am an atheist, now I know I should just keep my yap shut,

It's not that I didn't try to believe, I did. One church told me that faith is a 'mystery.' Uh-uh sure is to me! Couldn't force myself believe. Another told me it was 'grace,' and not everyone is blessed with it. Guess I'm damned then? Humph. Doesn't make sense, oh, wait, it's a 'mystery,' I forgot. I also forgot, I'm not supposed to be analytic, I'm female.

When the topic arises I simply state that I don't know what, or who - or is it whom? created the universe because my brain is too infinitesimal to begin to figure it out. It's so small that it doesn't have the ability to know how small it is in comparison to the vastness of the universe.

So, I'm an atheist, a woman and open about it but living in an area where everyone touts their Christian beliefs it is uncomfortable at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 11:30 PM

2,415 posts, read 2,430,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2 View Post
Thanks for the education, I never knew! I have spent far too long trying without success to explain why I am an atheist, now I know I should just keep my yap shut,

It's not that I didn't try to believe, I did. One church told me that faith is a 'mystery.' Uh-uh sure is to me! Couldn't force myself believe. Another told me it was 'grace,' and not everyone is blessed with it. Guess I'm damned then? Humph. Doesn't make sense, oh, wait, it's a 'mystery,' I forgot. I also forgot, I'm not supposed to be analytic, I'm female.

When the topic arises I simply state that I don't know what, or who - or is it whom? created the universe because my brain is too infinitesimal to begin to figure it out. It's so small that it doesn't have the ability to know how small it is in comparison to the vastness of the universe.

So, I'm an atheist, a woman and open about it but living in an area where everyone touts their Christian beliefs it is uncomfortable at times.

Yeah, the religionists say "faith is a mystery" or, more often, they say "God's ways are mysterious" or "the ways of the Lord are mysterious". And yet , at the same time, .they will go on and on and on and on and on with telling you that "God wants this" and "God wants that" and "God wants you to do this" and "God doesn't want you to do that" and "This is what God thinks" and "This is what God meant" and "This is God's plans" and "This is what God will do at such and such a point in the future", etc., etc., etc., . . . ad infinitum (or should I say ad nauseum).

And I think "But gee, I thought you all said that 'the ways of God are mysterious'. Well then, if so, then how do you all know so very much about what is in God's mind and heart? For that matter, how do you know anything at all about what you call 'God'? And for that matter, how do you know that there even IS a god or gods? and how are all these things that you claim to know conveyed to you by said 'god'?" The great majority of them don't really take the time to think through the logic of the things they proclaim to 'know' or even just 'believe' . . . or perhaps any number of them simply do not have the intellectual capacity to think it all through . . . or perhaps some of them could think it through but are just too intellectually lazy . . . or perhaps their beliefs serve some deep or important emotional needs that override any impulse or desire to be intellectually honest (regardless of where the pursuit of intellectual honesty leads them to). They are not really seeking to find truth i.e., objective reality), even if they say they are or think they are. What they are, in fact, really doing (whether they recognize it or not and then admit it or not) is to create truth (i.e., their own self-defined truth) and to superimpose their own self-defined truth upon reality-at-large . . . to, in essence, create their OWN reality.

About matters for which we don't (or perhaps even can't) have answers to, we should just have it in ourselves to say "I DON'T KNOW" or "WE DON'T KNOW" and leave it at that.

Last edited by UsAll; 08-11-2013 at 11:41 PM..

Old 08-12-2013, 10:58 PM

3,020 posts, read 2,700,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Just hearing the phrase "against their husband's wishes" gives me the heebie jeebies. I sympathize with the women of your town.

It's just bullying and it only makes the believer even more resolved to hang onto their belief system.
I think you're over-analyzing the situation. Perhaps I should have used a different phrase. It's "against my wife's wishes" for me to ride my bike to work (she worries about the narrow shoulder and high traffic volume). I ride my bicycle very little because of her concerns, but she still gives me the freedom to do as I wish. Same goes for the women in my town wanting to go to church. There's generally nothing wrong with spouse expressing or showing their displeasure over an activity.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:28 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,720,357 times
Ahh, USA you've hit a nerve with me. Makes me want to chew my nails, what little I have when people start telling me they know what God, or whatever <waving hands> wants. That arrogance just astounds me. I don't even know what I want most of the time so how in the world would I presume to know what a deity would want?? Arrruuuugggh. I shall go eat worms. Yeah it's a mystery all right, the fact that our species survives is the mystery to me. Sorry, I'm feeling cynical tonight I guess, unusual for me.

Clearly we do not know so to comfort ourselves we create myths and I've no problem with that so long as no one insists I embrace it. Ever notice that some insist that all is predestined while others are equally adamant that humans have free will? Must be that dang mystery again.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:24 AM

13,685 posts, read 13,619,604 times
Coming late to this thread, with no time to read it all, but I think women are less likely to identify as atheist simply because religion is a tool for creating family bonding. For myself, I have been an atheist in my beliefs for nearly 20 years, yet went through the religious motions of my Catholic extended family for much of that time, simply because it was a way of bonding with them. And I'm single without kids.

Based on my observations, women are usually tasked with maintaining their family's religious life and organizing the holiday celebrations, in addition to being assigned more responsibility for the family's emotional health. Religion makes a nice tool for fostering family cohesiveness.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:24 PM

2,415 posts, read 2,430,339 times
Quote:
Ahh, USA you've hit a nerve with me. Makes me want to chew my nails, what little I have when people start telling me they know what God, or whatever <waving hands> wants. That arrogance just astounds me. I don't even know what I want most of the time so how in the world would I presume to know what a deity would want?? Arrruuuugggh. I shall go eat worms. Yeah it's a mystery all right, the fact that our species survives is the mystery to me. Sorry, I'm feeling cynical tonight I guess, unusual for me.

Clearly we do not know so to comfort ourselves we create myths and I've no problem with that so long as no one insists I embrace it. Ever notice that some insist that all is predestined while others are equally adamant that humans have free will? Must be that dang mystery again.

Yeah, they say and think that they can read the heart and mind of an immaterial undiscernable undetectable non-manifesting purported "deity". Well then surely they should be able to read the heart and mind of a mere mortal like me . . . and yet if I asked any of them to demonstrate that they could read MY mind, they would all fail miserably. They wouldn't even get past the starting line.

And how would they even know or define what a "deity" or "god", in fact, IS . . . having never actually encountered or experienced one (except in their own imaginations)? How would they recognize and distinguish a "deity" from a "non-deity"?

Old 08-14-2013, 06:18 AM

39,207 posts, read 10,887,543 times
Quote:
Ahh, USA you've hit a nerve with me. Makes me want to chew my nails, what little I have when people start telling me they know what God, or whatever <waving hands> wants. That arrogance just astounds me. I don't even know what I want most of the time so how in the world would I presume to know what a deity would want??
I am now convinced that a person who does that is creating God in their own image and in fact 'God' is themselves, their beliefs, personal preferences and individual prejudices, all elevated to divine level. No wonder they are all damning one another on the Christianity thread.

Quote:
Arrruuuugggh. I shall go eat worms.
First feed them white flour to flush the vermine system, then sautee in garlic -butter. With oyster mushrooms to add texture.

Quote:
Yeah it's a mystery all right, the fact that our species survives is the mystery to me. Sorry, I'm feeling cynical tonight I guess, unusual for me.

Indeed, predestination and free will are apparently a contradiction. In fact they are not. There is a perfectly good theological answer, but no Theist yet has ever argued anywhere near it.

There is of course a problem with the idea that only a certain number are predestined to be saved and that number has already been filled. If so, there is absolutely no point in telling the rest of us.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:49 PM

2,464 posts, read 5,826,195 times
Why arenít there more women atheist?

Thatís a really good question, if you believe the stats indicating that men are more likely to be atheist. Iíve wondered that myself and canít offer much more than has already been indicated.

I suspect that atheism is more prevalent among certain personality types ďin general.Ē Perhaps if I could describe the average personality type of an atheist, one might be able to ascertain if that personality type is more likely among males or females.

Perhaps it comes down to how women are wired - is there a religious section of the brain that makes us susceptible to supernatural concepts such as invisible super gods in the sky/astrology/tarot card readings/psychics? Iím willing to bet women hit the psychic shops way more than men, even though, itís proven to be hokey, twinkle ding dong entertainment by professional deceivers. (I bet they read the astrology section more too. Iíve never heard a man say, ďoh, sheís a cancer... weíll probably hit it off!Ē unless heís of the feminine persuasion??).

I did discover that there are people who are doing research on the brain and religion called neurotheology. I donít know how credible the idea is as I have not done my research on it. Having a biological basis for the statistical variation doesnít seem far fetched.

Neurotheology: This Is Your Brain On Religion : NPR

Iím inclined to think that women tend to keep their atheist beliefs to themselves (especially ones with children) as we know what theist can be like and we donít want to alienate our families. So maybe the numbers are closer than what is being presented.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:15 PM

1,769 posts, read 3,869,002 times
I like astrology. It's entertainment. It's amusing, fun.
I like mini golf too.
There are as many women who don't believe in a "God" as there are men, or
pretty close anyway.
I wouldn't believe that article at all.
Women, I think are actually smarter than most men, but that's another thread.
If a woman has a family, she concentrates on her work, her family and her likes in
life.
She doesn't go out of her way to answer polls about being atheist.
I hate labels, personally, and some people who post on this thread are a little
too overbearing with pretending to know everything also, just like religion.
No one really knows everything.
We are all just little human ants on this small planet in the middle of a billion
universes, so lets admit that everyone here has their own opinion of wether or not
atheists should believe in this or that.
I figure it this way, I don't care what anyone else in the world believes,
just DO NO HARM.
And do you know what? I bet there are many women who feel like I do.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:48 PM

3,020 posts, read 2,700,040 times
Studies have shown that women are generally more religious than men are in terms of the participation of women in church services as well as in expressed faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism