Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 11:31 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,245 times

Advertisements

Left Brain vs. Right: It's a Myth, Research Finds | LiveScience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 12:08 PM

19,991 posts, read 13,470,976 times
This is a confusion between brain activity as measured and as expressed. It is pretty obvious that some people favor right or left brained thinking, or have left or right brain dominant personality characteristics, regardless of the physical activity or connections between the hemispheres. Perhaps we should get away from the term "left brain" or "right brain" as misleading terminology and express it more in terms of cognitive styles such as objective or subjective, but I still think the personality tests are largely valid in spite of that.

It may indeed be that any given individual is simply more aware of and attuned to a particular aspect of their thought processes, negating or wasting or ignoring some of the work the brain actually does. That would make for an interesting study.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:13 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,043 times
Sexism exist where the sexist guys are. I am a woman, atheist and I know many other atheist women.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:18 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,369,627 times
Well, I'm a woman and an atheist, but that proves nothing. I'm just an anecdotal sample size of one.
Cannot speculate about anyone else's brain & how they make sense of the world in ways different from how I do.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:17 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I just discovered this thread today, so I'm giving it a bump with my thoughts.

I'm a liberal, feminist, atheist woman with a very left brain bias, as my degree in Physics will attest. Even with that being the case, I have to agree with NOTaTHEIST in the observation that women tend to be more emotional (right brained) on average and men tend to be more logical (left brained) in their methods of approaching a question/situation/problem. Not all, but definitely more than a random chance (which would generate an equal number of left brained and right brained men and the same with women). As others have said, that doesn't mean that women are less capable of being rational, or men have fewer emotions, but it does have an effect on the way women and men behave.
Actually, I don't believe women are more emotional than men.

Are Men More Emotional Than Women?

Quote:
Indeed, is it not men, rather than women, who do the craziest things in certain circumstances?

For example, it is men who are crazy enough to die for their countries or their rulers.

It is men who end up the most passionate about their religion.

It is men who seek the thrills from sports and taking risks and sex.

True. Men seem to be endowed with greater skills than women when it comes to logical analysis, mathematics, space and time, and more able to detach themselves from emotions, but it does not follow from this that men are, in general, less emotionally driven than are women
Men and women are different in how we respond to emotions.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...ntelligent-men

I do think there are more women atheists who are simply not out because they value their community and because they don't want their children ostracized by playmates.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:26 PM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
This is a confusion between brain activity as measured and as expressed. It is pretty obvious that some people favor right or left brained thinking, or have left or right brain dominant personality characteristics, regardless of the physical activity or connections between the hemispheres. Perhaps we should get away from the term "left brain" or "right brain" as misleading terminology and express it more in terms of cognitive styles such as objective or subjective, but I still think the personality tests are largely valid in spite of that.

It may indeed be that any given individual is simply more aware of and attuned to a particular aspect of their thought processes, negating or wasting or ignoring some of the work the brain actually does. That would make for an interesting study.
Your are correct, mordant . . .but it is simpler than mere confusion. It really is myth. This is a typical misuse and misunderstanding of brain research that lay audiences, personality tests and frequently the media have been prone to. This cited study is about using the brain and it has never been alleged that anyone used one side of the brain more than the other. We always use our entire brain. It is the type of processing and functionality that differs in the hemispheres. The terms left-brain dominant and right-brain dominant are pop psych nonsense misrepresenting the differential modes of brain processing . . . NOT dominance or amount of each side used.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:37 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,645,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I do think there are more women atheists who are simply not out because they value their community and because they don't want their children ostracized by playmates.
This theory has also been debunked several times over already.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:48 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
This theory has also been debunked several times over already.
You should frequent the atheist board at babycenter. Very few of the women there are out in real life. If you live in the south and you don't want your child to be isolated, you do NOT tell people you are an atheist.

In the Chicago area (suburb), it was NEVER a problem, but we didn't talk about religion because there were Christians, Jews, Hindus, Muslims, atheists, agnostics, etc. in our neighborhood. In our suburb of Houston? My son is considered *evil* by the neighbors and his Hindu ex-wife is being proselytized and goes to church with the neighbors just for the socialization. She still goes to her Hindu events though.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:52 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Atheist was never supposed to mean "anti-religion," but it definitely has become that way in a lot of cases.

Most women aren't necessarily up for fighting against something like that and will not be as vocal as their male counterparts. Women in general are not as vocal as men in sociopolitical arena.

I imagine there are plenty of women who are atheist/lean that way. They just aren't shouting about it.

Frankly, that makes more sense to me. If you don't believe in god, why talk about it? Then again, I am a woman.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:18 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Atheist was never supposed to mean "anti-religion," but it definitely has become that way in a lot of cases.

Most women aren't necessarily up for fighting against something like that and will not be as vocal as their male counterparts. Women in general are not as vocal as men in sociopolitical arena.

I imagine there are plenty of women who are atheist/lean that way. They just aren't shouting about it.

Frankly, that makes more sense to me. If you don't believe in god, why talk about it? Then again, I am a woman.
For the same reason many of the religious folks feel need to push their views on those that would rather not hear.

I don't know why it's fair game that they can talk about it but we can't. What is worse is that some think that religious lawmakers are allowed to make laws promoting Christianity but atheists have to be silent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism