U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 10:53 AM

36,486 posts, read 43,870,844 times

Advertisements

I found this article interesting. It is in response to another article cited in the first sentence.

5 Reasons There Aren
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 11:56 AM

39,278 posts, read 10,931,096 times
So far as I could see, there are two reasons - Churches provide a lot of childcare. And women seem to be backward in coming forward unless it's in gender issues. I'd like to see a lot more female presence in atheist/ agnostic areas.

Also there are going to have to be some non -religious alternatives to the tradition social Hooks provided by the churches. The politicians here, quite apart from their liking for Traditional values, just love any organization that provides a service (like Church schools) that they don't have to find the money for.

Secularism has a much bigger job to do than just winning the religion debate. There has to be provided alternatives to the social provisions by religion that carry a fee: support for religion.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:37 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,998,862 times
Simply this reason (from the article):

Quote:
Third, men of all ideological persuasions are overrepresented in media why should atheists be any different?
Who says that there are fewer women atheists? You just have fewer (or none) of them on TV and writing books about atheism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I found this article interesting. It is in response to another article cited in the first sentence.

5 Reasons There Aren

Old 07-29-2013, 06:27 PM

14,198 posts, read 9,107,204 times
I would also submit that women are much less likely to self-identify as atheists, even while functionally holding to that viewpoint. In other words they tend to embrace their worldview more intuitively and loosely.

My totally scientific justification for this theory is my wife. She does not believe there is a god unless maybe, theoretically, in the deist sense of a a clockmaker who wandered off and got interested in other things. She has never interacted with church beyond the fact that her mother, who died when she was 9, dragged her to services at a Unitarian church, and later there was some occasional attendance at a Presbyterian church in support of her daughter, who was exploring theism for several years before ultimately deciding it was hogwash.

My wife has never uttered a prayer, and her reaction to any remotely conservative theism is a straight-up, honestly puzzled WTF. Makes, at best, zero sense to her; she has said many times it's utterly ridiculous and she can't understand how an adult could possibly hold such views.

I think she regards my identification as atheist to be overcompensation for my theist past and is amused by it. But how her view of god is in any practical sense different than mine, I don't pretend to know.

She regards herself as agnostic, skeptical, but open minded. She does not care about the technical definitions of atheist vs agnostic and the overlap between them, she only cares about what label "feels right" to her. To her, atheist = closed mind. That is why I amuse her, my mind is not at all closed yet I call myself closed-minded. And that is why she amuses me, she can only regard things quirkily and ironically and through the lens of absurdity.

If she is remotely representative of the style in which women tend to approach unbelief, I think there are plenty of female atheists flying under the radar.

I am not, of course, saying that all women do this ... there are plenty of analytically oriented women (some of whom hang out here); there are geeky / wonky females in the world, too. But my honey would definitely confuse a Gallup pollster who was trying to quantify her; she mostly defies description in this and other respects. She would be totally bored with the debates here, it would not be worth her time. She senses no one is at the controls of this world and doesn't care to delve any deeper than that. It just is what it is, not some big philosophical point to ponder.

She is far from the only one like this, I suspect.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:40 PM

39,278 posts, read 10,931,096 times
I can also say that ladies in my life are not Christian and are at least agnostic about the God - claim. at the same time they are all involved with the local church as a sort of social activity and show not the slightest interest in seeing organized religion gone. There is perhaps a different mindset about the irreligion- thing.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:20 PM

354 posts, read 246,442 times
Quote:
Why aren't there more women atheists?
It seems to me that women, in general, are more touchy/feely creatures and men are more analytical. Religion and god belief are generally held because of emotions, and I propose that women are typically more susceptible to this type of thing for biological reasons.

It would make an interesting study determining if this suspicion was true, and that there is a disproportionate number of male to female atheists as represented in the population at large.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:01 AM

16,119 posts, read 17,943,466 times
I wonder how you could actually quantify this. I hang out on several boards that are primarily women atheists who happen to be parents. We often talk about raising children without religion since we are concerned about the proselytizers and our relatives who happen to want to convert our children to their religious view. A lot of these moms live in the south and are closeted atheists because of the social stigmas that result from coming out as atheist (we don't want our kids ostracized by their playmates, for example).

Old 07-30-2013, 02:52 AM
bUU

11,892 posts, read 8,683,430 times
I coordinate small group ministry at my church. Within my own small group, and within the other few small groups within the church, there are two or perhaps three men. I don't have as firm a grasp on the numbers for overall church membership - though I would care more about participation than membership. My instinct is that women dominate. The disparity, at that level, seems to be focused on singles: The single men are practically non-existent, while single women are as present as married women. A couple of the men at church I know best at church would self-identify as Atheists before identifying as members of our church. (Our church welcomes Atheists and agnostics.) I suspect the situation would be opposite among the women. I believe what's going on is that men have been indoctrinated into our society to be individualist rather than to support and be supported by community. The impact of this in more traditional religions is muted (but still very evident) by other indoctrination (though shalt go to church), yet men still attend church substantially less than women, 39% to 47%. I believe men often just are following their programming and eschew "belonging" in favor of asserting themselves.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:47 AM

14,198 posts, read 9,107,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I can also say that ladies in my life are not Christian and are at least agnostic about the God - claim. at the same time they are all involved with the local church as a sort of social activity and show not the slightest interest in seeing organized religion gone. There is perhaps a different mindset about the irreligion- thing.
My stepdaughter, who is very social, goes to church primarily for social reasons. She would go along with her theist friends and happily participate in most of the routine oblations with no cognitive dissonance at all. Yet this is the girl who scandalized her catechism class by coming to the "wrong" conclusions about god (he doesn't exist). I doubt she would want to be characterized as an atheist either.

I think strong extroverts and most women will see church as a source of connectedness and as a social outlet and if they are unbelievers they will not be picky about the theist trappings it's barnacled with.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:51 PM

354 posts, read 246,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
My stepdaughter, who is very social, goes to church primarily for social reasons. She would go along with her theist friends and happily participate in most of the routine oblations with no cognitive dissonance at all. Yet this is the girl who scandalized her catechism class by coming to the "wrong" conclusions about god (he doesn't exist). I doubt she would want to be characterized as an atheist either.

I think strong extroverts and most women will see church as a source of connectedness and as a social outlet and if they are unbelievers they will not be picky about the theist trappings it's barnacled with.
It might also be that women are more opposed the stigma associated with the word atheist, just as some atheists prefer the term agnostic even though they have no god belief. Atheist is also seen as contentious. This also might be something that drives many women away from adopting the term, as it seems the female of our species is more in touch with our social/cooperative nature, while men seem to be more competitive/combative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism