U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 06:10 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,661,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Minervah, I am so sorry for your loss.

As a prior theist, it is comforting and less stressful that I don't have to ask the "why" questions anymore. I don't believe there is a god who is either causing or preventing the things that happen to me in my life. If I make a dumb or a smart decision, it is on me. If it is something out of my control that happens to me, well then, it happened because things just happen in life. Some good, some bad. The pressure is off to try and be a good enough dooby, or believe enough or pray enough or what have you.

But again, Minervah, we are sending our cyber hugs out to you and your family during your time of loss and grief.

Hugs
Thank you for the cyber hugs and thanks to everyone who has shown such care. I really didn't expect that. I actually just came here to talk about my thoughts regarding death and belief amongst those I thought would understand. I did this at the suggestion of a friend who posts here from time to time when I told her how I was feeling during a phone conversation. It was good advice. It's good to share with those who do get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 10:58 AM

8,398 posts, read 9,888,823 times
Like an ant on the way back to the mound gets stepped on we occasionally get the foot of life. No reason, just in the same path as a disease or illness. It sucks!!

I think you did the right thing by sharing with us, we understand. Most of us have dealt with the religious around us in times like this. I usually bite my tongue and try to understand that in times like these people have to grab a bit of comfort from where ever they can. Their blankie is none of my business. They grab theirs, I grab mine and we all hold on and try to get through it.

My condolences, that's a rough situation.

I always tell people I don't ask why, but how. I don't ask why was the earth created, the universe, or disease. I ask how. That puts it in perspective for me.

Last edited by PoppySead; 08-05-2013 at 11:11 AM..

Old 08-05-2013, 04:57 PM

I watched a video of the funeral services online Saturday. It was supposed to be real-time on Friday but there was something wrong on their end so I had to be content with watching the video the next day. It was still pretty nice to be able to see it from 2000 miles away. Of course, the religious stuff was there but all in all it was a pretty nice ceremony.

My cousin's daughter read from a book written by my cousin but was not published. She was a wonderful writer. It was a book of poems and short essays. That was the nicest part of the ceremony for me.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:39 PM

8,897 posts, read 2,760,681 times
Thinking about you today, Minervah.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Thinking about you today, Minervah.
Thanks. I am going to call my cousin, her brother, tonight and see how he is doing. He had been sharing a home with her for the past ten years. I don't know if I mentioned that due to an illness from which I am recovering, I couldn't be there for the funeral but I am thinking about flying back to Chicago when the doctors say it's okay to fly and staying with him for a bit.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:30 PM

8,897 posts, read 2,760,681 times
I'm sure your cousin would appreciate your call. And hopefully you'll be able to make that trip soon if you wish. Take gentle care of yourself.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:26 PM

27,960 posts, read 15,050,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
In all of the above scenarios I see odd beliefs in what God is or does
or in what all think "He" is in control
of or whatever.
It is common to blame God for many things and think 'He' is something He is not.
Look at the whole Judeo- Christian religion...it was based on made up stories
from primitive, savage, immature, fearful minds.

I am the one creating all the scenarios of my life...
no one but me. ..not God.

Heh-heh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism