U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 04:49 AM

15,395 posts, read 12,143,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
I get tired of atheism every time I see a post.
Thank you, my first laugh of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 05:55 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,087,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDragon View Post
Is there anything left to debate on the subject of a deity?
I doubt there's much that hasn't already been said, and in theory anyone interested in the subject could get a good, approachable overview of theist / atheist debating points by reading through the archives here.

But it's my view that a significant number of lurkers just watch the realtime interaction. There are many theists who dare not give voice to their own doubts, even to themselves. I was one of those initially. A high quality discussion is what these folks need. It also humanizes unbelievers to the segment of believers who have been swayed by all the rampant otherizing of atheists that goes on in theist circles.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:24 AM

41,007 posts, read 18,578,670 times
When I get tired of a subject I cease paying any attention to it. I do not hang out on net forums devoted to the subject, telling everyone how tired I am of the subject.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:43 AM

39,135 posts, read 10,857,554 times
The sly suggestions that we would be better off giving it up, going away and doing something else, thus leaving the believers free of anyone raising those pesky Doubts about their tatty religious claims is all I need to persuade me that my time and efforts here are well spent.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:06 AM
Q44

895 posts, read 766,360 times
Nope, that debate is over. You've freed yourself from religion, god and other mythologies. You've fulfilled your intellectual satisfaction regarding the natural universe and science - I didn't think that was possible, so congratulations. I'd say it's time to move on to politics.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:25 AM

17,258 posts, read 19,555,335 times
Quote:
I'm spending less and less time thinking about this anymore. At first, it was awe-inspiring to free my mind from this man-made nonsense. Then, it was the fresh air of science and understanding the universe through natural methodology, and the intellectual satisfaction that followed. Afterwards, it was chasing the dragon; trying to find something equally compelling to fill the void of 'Does god exist?" Now, it's just beating a dead horse. We don't sit around thinking about fairies and unicorns. Is there anything left to debate on the subject of a deity?
Just keep the science part of it going strong.

There are still quite a lot of mysteries we don't know about reality - such as what caused the big bang to happen, why is the universe almost entirely dark matter, how did the first cell become a self-replicating living organism, how do you reconcile relativity with quantum mechanics or is there life on planets of nearby stars?

There will be Newtons, Darwins and Einsteins in the future who will solve these and many other puzzles. It is exciting to look forward to it all.

Also, if you know any young people or you have children of your own, then encourage them to go into scientific or engineering fields. We sure do have a shortage of American-born people doing so.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:32 AM

125 posts, read 113,744 times
Quote:
I'm spending less and less time thinking about this anymore. At first, it was awe-inspiring to free my mind from this man-made nonsense. Then, it was the fresh air of science and understanding the universe through natural methodology, and the intellectual satisfaction that followed. Afterwards, it was chasing the dragon; trying to find something equally compelling to fill the void of 'Does god exist?" Now, it's just beating a dead horse. We don't sit around thinking about fairies and unicorns. Is there anything left to debate on the subject of a deity?
If 90% of people believed in fairies and unicorns, then the comparison would be apt.

If a significant percentage of people wanted to base human morality on the rules an ancient book says were handed down by fairies and unicorns, then the comparison would be apt.

If roughly half the country wanted to undermine public education by replacing basic biology with Fairyism, then the comparison would be apt.

If people were flying planes into buildings because they think the Great Unicorn wants them to, or depriving their children of medical treatment because they think praying to the One True Fairy is more effective, then the comparison would be apt.

Sadly, we are plagued by all of those things because of belief in dieties.

And that is why the topic is so important.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:42 AM

3,509 posts, read 5,177,173 times
I don't tire of it anymore than I do the fact that I'm a female. It's just a fact that bears no navel gazing. No void to fill, nothing to waste any thought over.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:42 AM

39,135 posts, read 10,857,554 times
Quite true. It IS important. But if someone simply doesn't have the interest in engaging in the religion debate, that is absolutely fine. So long as they have shrugged off the religious delusion they have done all I could ask of them and more.

Ps. Do I gather that Steel Dragon is not just a deconvert but a relatively recent one who dunnit before our werry eyes, as it were?

Old 07-31-2013, 11:41 AM

6,864 posts, read 3,788,814 times
Quote:

Depends at which stage you are at in your 'atheist journey' I suppose - some people new to atheism will have many questions to ask and I guess that's what we are here for. I sort of know what you mean though. There have been a few times when I thought I'd written my last post on this forum / said everything I needed to say and all my questions had been answered. But I am still drawn here by the people more than anything else. It is one of the very few forums I find that people actually have stimulating, intelligent and interesting things to say. Honestly I'm not usually interested in the 'atheist' subject matter so much, but rather all the bonus material that comes with it in answering all the big questions about life.

I check in most days. I tend not to even open threads with titles that have been covered before, such as the one running currently about funerals, as that was covered just a few weeks earlier.

There are occasionally new threads though with a new angle like the one started yesterday about female atheists - it never even occurred to me that I might be in an even smaller minority than I thought! So there is always something new to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism