U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 05:24 AM

89 posts, read 205,905 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about this for awhile. I consider myself an Atheist yet have nothing to expound upon any further than "my name's Dom and I have no god." I don't understand what else there is to discuss. The Atheist movement is picking up steam in the military community and I now see signs organizing groups in person and online...for what? Let's go do something we find interesting versus bashing Christians for the millionth time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 07:06 AM

40,853 posts, read 18,553,245 times
I've an idea, let us all devote a few forum pages to discussing how tedious we find discussions.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:16 AM

10,202 posts, read 6,085,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domfromco View Post
I've been thinking about this for awhile. I consider myself an Atheist yet have nothing to expound upon any further than "my name's Dom and I have no god." I don't understand what else there is to discuss. The Atheist movement is picking up steam in the military community and I now see signs organizing groups in person and online...for what? Let's go do something we find interesting versus bashing Christians for the millionth time.
I think there would be little bashing of Christians if there wasn't such a drive by some of the Christian groups to try and impact legislation that would force their beliefs on the general population. As long as that continues, there needs to be an organized opposition to it. Groups like freedom from religion do that.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Old 09-02-2013, 07:30 AM

14,191 posts, read 9,077,440 times
Quote:
I have no doubt that some atheists engage in "Christian bashing" as sport. But I've recently come to realize that a lot of what atheist discourse on religion is about these days, is about breaking down the taboos in society that have given religion a free ride for literally millennia, placing it beyond question and beyond criticism. It has never had to defend itself empirically, intellectually, and objectively. Also this is probably the first time in human history where atheism has come out of the closet, at least outside highbrow academic and intellectual circles.

The intersection of these two things is most inconvenient for theism but contrary to popular belief, atheists really don't seek to dismantle theism or outlaw it or anything like that. We simply want it in its proper place and relationship to everything else, which is currently distorted and magnified by various indulgences in the public sphere -- taboos against ever questioning religion or suggesting that it has harmful or less than savory aspects; taboos against suggesting that even relatively areligious theism is not the best adaptation to reality; blanket tax exemptions with low barriers to entry and maintenance; taboos against embarrassing the religious leadership hierarchy, which enables truly awful things like the whole pedophile priest issue in the RCC; clergy abuse of all kinds in all denominations; an unwillingness to call out anti-science crusades in those areas where science contradicts religious dogma; violations of what church / state separation we have on paper; and so forth.

If theism had to compete on a level playing field with other ideas it would not die -- not for another thousand years or so anyway in my judgment -- but it would be disabused of its unearned dignity and respect as a belief and thought system that stands among peers. It would be downsized to reflect the degree to which people actually buy into religious ideology anymore, rather than the level at which they pretend to. It would be stripped of most of its worldly power that it claims to have no interest in anyway. It would be made to earn its place, to the extent that it can.

Are there other things an unbeliever could focus on? Of course. There are discoveries to be made, whole worlds to conquer, and more. But I think that at this point in human history, taking religion down a few pegs is a worthy goal for the greater good, one in which we actually have a lot of common cause with liberal theists. God belief itself, rendered truly private and non-institutional, is a self-limiting problem by comparison.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:05 PM

3,552 posts, read 6,169,958 times
Getting tired of Atheism is like getting tired of Science.. which is ever changing and discovering. Its virtually impossible to be tired of that.. The Bible however hasn't had a new edition in... well who cares cause it just hasn't.. Reading the same versus over and over and over again then having someone reiterate them to you every Sunday must get mundane no?

Old 09-03-2013, 02:31 AM

89 posts, read 205,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I have no doubt that some atheists engage in "Christian bashing" as sport. But I've recently come to realize that a lot of what atheist discourse on religion is about these days, is about breaking down the taboos in society that have given religion a free ride for literally millennia, placing it beyond question and beyond criticism. It has never had to defend itself empirically, intellectually, and objectively. Also this is probably the first time in human history where atheism has come out of the closet, at least outside highbrow academic and intellectual circles.

The intersection of these two things is most inconvenient for theism but contrary to popular belief, atheists really don't seek to dismantle theism or outlaw it or anything like that. We simply want it in its proper place and relationship to everything else, which is currently distorted and magnified by various indulgences in the public sphere -- taboos against ever questioning religion or suggesting that it has harmful or less than savory aspects; taboos against suggesting that even relatively areligious theism is not the best adaptation to reality; blanket tax exemptions with low barriers to entry and maintenance; taboos against embarrassing the religious leadership hierarchy, which enables truly awful things like the whole pedophile priest issue in the RCC; clergy abuse of all kinds in all denominations; an unwillingness to call out anti-science crusades in those areas where science contradicts religious dogma; violations of what church / state separation we have on paper; and so forth.

If theism had to compete on a level playing field with other ideas it would not die -- not for another thousand years or so anyway in my judgment -- but it would be disabused of its unearned dignity and respect as a belief and thought system that stands among peers. It would be downsized to reflect the degree to which people actually buy into religious ideology anymore, rather than the level at which they pretend to. It would be stripped of most of its worldly power that it claims to have no interest in anyway. It would be made to earn its place, to the extent that it can.

Are there other things an unbeliever could focus on? Of course. There are discoveries to be made, whole worlds to conquer, and more. But I think that at this point in human history, taking religion down a few pegs is a worthy goal for the greater good, one in which we actually have a lot of common cause with liberal theists. God belief itself, rendered truly private and non-institutional, is a self-limiting problem by comparison.
I feel foolish after reading your post, excellent points made (my favorite statements in bold. I think if we had these levels of discussions in my immediate circle of friends/fellow non-believers I would be more inclined to attend/discuss my thoughts. Unfortunately they haven't advanced past endlessly posting Spaghetti Flying Monster infographs, etc. I've never actively thought about directly challenging the heavy theological suppression in the world we live in, I guess I just learned to accept that that's the way things have been and will be. Perhaps there's more I could be doing, a simple support system might encourage someone to feel comfortable "coming out of the closet" so to speak.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:01 AM

9,412 posts, read 11,724,962 times
Quote:
For what?

For freedom, for reason, for equality, for women's rights, for centuries old laws that are out of date, for protection of children.

You think the fight has finished...it's only just begun.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:19 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,816,280 times
Quote:

Maybe they have to organize because of the oppressive religious stance in the military.
People don't get promoted because of their lack of religion.
Religion permeates everything, every meeting, retirement luncheon, etc., etc., etc.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:34 PM

30,684 posts, read 33,450,741 times
It doesn't take up any of my time so no, I don't get tired of it. I CHOSE to discuss things sometimes, for fun, but that's different.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:21 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,368,316 times
Default How it all surfaces in our society, and why we have to fight back!

As to the OP's beleaguered question, there's their typically derisive ad hominem crap again:

An official Athe-ISM labelling.

As if it's some sort of disease, of some affliction, or some demonic possession. Of those who lost their spiritual way due to a decided lack of proper youthful indoctrination at church, and the forcibly required reading of obtuse and rabidly illiterate fairy-tales.

Rather, atheism is quite simply the absence of belief in any gods, and in a totally structured and constantly defended "ism" called Christianity. With all the ordained prancing, hysterical public whippings, name-listing and excommunications.

We atheists obviously have to defend against such constant psychological derision and smirking contamination, plus the tribal demonization of otherwise happy (but most importantly, honest-thinking...) individuals. Complete with the smirks of all those church types... Yikes:scary!

As to "individualized thinking", THAT, in the minds of a Christian thug, also has to go!

ERgo, we fight those stereotypes. Hopefully it really bothers, yeah, spiritually, hurts their über-nasty cumulative Christian mindsets!

http://www.luchaworld.com/wordpress/...ing-finger.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/-Q0hkwqxSRj4/Ua...jpg?imgmax=800

http://epaabuse.com/wp-content/uploa...6903824216.jpg

and on and on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism