U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 09:57 PM

278 posts, read 255,426 times

Advertisements

I'm spending less and less time thinking about this anymore. At first, it was awe-inspiring to free my mind from this man-made nonsense. Then, it was the fresh air of science and understanding the universe through natural methodology, and the intellectual satisfaction that followed. Afterwards, it was chasing the dragon; trying to find something equally compelling to fill the void of 'Does god exist?" Now, it's just beating a dead horse. We don't sit around thinking about fairies and unicorns. Is there anything left to debate on the subject of a deity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 10:02 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,113,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDragon View Post
Is there anything left to debate on the subject of a deity?
No.

I would rather think about ways to improve my golf game.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:06 PM

10,425 posts, read 8,780,713 times
It's just another "religion".

Old 07-30-2013, 10:07 PM

590 posts, read 663,879 times
Quote:
Is there anything left to debate on the subject of a deity?
I think that debates about what Christianity and other religions will be like in the future are still a bit interesting.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:10 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,759,971 times
I never spent a lot of time thinking about it. I don't believe god exists. End of story. If it weren't for this forum I would spend pretty much zero time thinking about it or religion in general.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:34 PM

563 posts, read 428,681 times
I do belong to atheistforums.org and .com, but I steer clear of the mental masturbation, because those people tend to ride a high horse, IMHO. Plus, I have no need to fry my brain on philosophical stuff. I believe in no god. I believe in nothing after death. That's all that's important. Nice to meet you?

Old 07-30-2013, 10:41 PM

4,246 posts, read 7,838,984 times
You got bored with trying to understand the natural universe? Geesh, I don't even know all the native bird species yet.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:44 PM

707 posts, read 572,544 times
I get tired of atheism every time I see a post.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:41 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,279,657 times
I am tired of it. Have been for years. I would love to wake up tomorrow and never speak of, or deal with, religion ever ever again.

I am simply not let.

All the things I am actually interested in: Education, science, morality, ethics, politics, sexuality, gay rights, literature, free expression, law, womens rights and much much more.... things I heavily study and involve myself in frequently.... are places where people shove their religion in my face day in, day out, and I have to push back.

The ideal would be for the religious to keep they unsubstantiated nonsense in their clubhouse and not in our halls of power, education and science.

They do not. So I can not.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:11 AM

39,041 posts, read 10,831,421 times
Quote:
I'm spending less and less time thinking about this anymore. At first, it was awe-inspiring to free my mind from this man-made nonsense. Then, it was the fresh air of science and understanding the universe through natural methodology, and the intellectual satisfaction that followed. Afterwards, it was chasing the dragon; trying to find something equally compelling to fill the void of 'Does god exist?" Now, it's just beating a dead horse. We don't sit around thinking about fairies and unicorns. Is there anything left to debate on the subject of a deity?
I can well understand losing interest in just going over the debate again and again and trying to 'make' something of atheism is not only futile but counter to what atheism Is.

However, it is like anything else. If you lose interest in it, then give it up and take interest in something else. Improving Golf game perhaps.

Now for me, just giving up on the religion claims would be quite enough. Scientific discovery (including biology and history, of course) would be all that I'd need. The suggestion that we need gods from outer space or Atlanteans to fill a Mystery -shaped bottle that science of course does not claim to be able to fill commends itself to me no more than the suggestion that something is missing from my life without church attendance and reciting prayers.

But in fact there is much more to do. The process of realizing globally that religion is a crock has hardly started and beyond that I can see an almost evolutionary step where we are no longer driven by instincts that we hardly understand let alone by myths and superstitions, but pursue the reason -based worldview and begin it in education and carry it on into social life and politics - and without a single pointy ear or 'beautiful? I do not understand that concept, captain' about it.

That aim and vision is the biggest thing in my particular life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism