U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 12:09 PM

17,393 posts, read 19,666,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
As my wise uncle and physician once remarked, "death is the price we pay for life."
What a great quote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 04:54 PM

43,646 posts, read 52,904,471 times
Imprecise premise...you don't have to believe in god to believe in afterlife.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:58 AM

2,273 posts, read 2,481,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Imprecise premise...you don't have to believe in god to believe in afterlife.
True. I consider myself Agnostic, I donīt believe in God as a entity, no "Supreme Being / Creator" or such. Still things I have experienced make me belive there is more to the world than what we see, mayby one day science will find the answer perhaps not. I do believe we are in some way interconnected with all things in our univerise, perhaps that greater existence could be described as "God"

The word as normally understood "God" seems like a simplification of what is beyond our knowledge. Maybe there is an afterlife in some form, certainly not in the form of Heaven or Hell in the Christian sense.

I donīt know and I donīt think any of the worlds religions really know either. I guess we will see when we get there.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:51 AM

13,492 posts, read 5,052,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There have probably been other threads on this topic. But I wanted to hear some discussions about it from people who have been through this already and are atheist/agnostic.

As for me, I have not yet experienced this in my own life. But my parents are in their 80s and it's only a matter of time that the inevitable will happen. I want mentally prepare myself for that now and was wondering if people here have any words of advice and what to expect - which have nothing to do with God, of course.

how I feel? better to be the mourner than the more-knee, unless it's my wife. men really need to die before the wives.

they are 80? you lucky you had them so long. Lucky they didn't see you die. you should feel good. well, as good as it gets for this kind of thing. DONT DWEL ON IT ... IT. My pop died in 2000 at 74. I picked one thing from him that I can close my eyes and remember, and even feel. I remember his hand shanks. we didn't hug. Not a day goes by I don't think of him once. sometimes I smile and other times I think "wow, that was stupid of him."

Some people say in with a frown "I turned out to be just like him." I am on the other side, I am not 1/2 the dude he was. I haven't met many guys that are.

My mom's 87 and starting slip. when she dies ... she dead. It's the way of things. we will move on. The greatest generations is dyeing (get it ... they left a mark lol srry) and that America is gone. liberty and justice for all seems a pipe dream. It was then too, but it at least they had some limits.

but back to you. depends on person. I have said:

sorry for your loss

let me know if ya need anything

maybe. (if they ask is afterlife is possible as they are clutching onto anything).

their dead you need to move on.

bummer, now what?

Nobody realy dies because things are different then we think. or we would know.
The body really is more of an 'event" than a "thing" anyway.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:19 AM

14,198 posts, read 9,129,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
Still, things I have experienced make me believe ...
And this is the central problem. Even though you're not theistic as such, you can only point to personal subjective experience, which is fine for you, arguably, but not for anyone else. This leaves you, at best, alone with and unable to usefully share your epiphanies because there is no shared experience you can point to that might contain actual substantiation or evidence for your beliefs that someone else could leverage.

This is not a criticism of you, it is just a statement of how things are. If there were an interventionist god who cared enough to get his holy knickers in a twist about whether or not I believed in him or loved him or obeyed him, it is odd that he would be completely absent from the material world in such a way that he's completely unverifiable empirically. And if there is an afterlife with or without gods, if we can't verify it empirically then what does it matter?

This is why anyone who wants to argue for an afterlife, or for invisible beings or spiritual realms or forces, is reduced to "things I have experienced" or "things I have felt" or "things that seem right to me as opposed to things I'm unable to accept that seem apparent in the real world", etc.

You might find an afterlife or some kind terribly attractive, it might seem intuitive, and you might have had a dream or other altered consciousness state in which something like that presented itself to you in a way that seemed convincing and blissful such that you didn't want to let it go. But none of these make an afterlife one iota truer or more likely. They just mean you've had a subjective personal experience that is significantly compelling to you subjectively.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:34 AM

96 posts, read 90,000 times
Quote:
As an atheist/agnostic, how do you cope with the loss of a person very close to you?
The fact that the dead person no longer exists and has absolutely no recollection that s/he ever even existed which is almost equivalent as if they actually never did exist allows me to cope with their disappearance.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:39 AM

2,851 posts, read 929,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
To prepare, make sure that you aren't leaving anything unsaid that needs to be said. Settle any issues that exist between you. Note that the preceding do not necessarily involve anyone but you; often you can get to the point of feeling clarity and completeness in your relationships with just introspection. If you do need to have a conversation, have it soon. It is actually possible to resolve feelings of incompleteness after the person has died, but why wait.

This is actually the same advice I'd give to a theist.
Although our views (mine vs. yours) are different (as I am a theist) - I admire your suggestion, and think that all of us should go by these words.

Thank you for that post and, although not directed to me, I have already done as you've suggested.
I don't think any of us can really 'be ready' when that call comes - but these actions may help to lessen the feelings experienced, when they do.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:46 AM

2,851 posts, read 929,430 times
Quote:
What a great quote.
Actually, as stated in the Bible (for those of us who do believe) Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death...

Old 01-30-2015, 12:15 PM

13,492 posts, read 5,052,355 times
Quote:
What a great quote.
that is a great qoute

Old 01-31-2015, 08:53 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,494,554 times
First of all, I do not consider it a "loss" -- they are not mine to lose.

Personally, I never experienced the death of a person upon whom I had any significant emotional dependency, so I cannot relate to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism