U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2013, 06:02 PM

16,105 posts, read 17,923,003 times

Advertisements

But whenever a different religion than Christianity is recognized, Christians hate it:

Hindu Prayer in Congress Criticized - Beliefnet.com

Quote:
``Our founders expected that Christianity - and no other religion - would receive support from the government as long as that support did not violate peoples' consciences and their right to worship,'' said the Family Research Council, a leading advocacy group for conservative causes.

``They would have found utterly incredible the idea that all religions, including paganism, be treated with equal deference,'' the group said in a comment posted on its Web page.

Last Thursday, a Hindu priest from Parma, Ohio, delivered the opening prayer to the House in conjunction with Indian Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee addressing a joint meeting of Congress.

The guest of Rep. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, Venkatachalapathi Samuldrala was the first Hindu ever to give the House invocation.
We are in Trouble now!! Muslim Prayer Opens Congress !!!

Quote:
"The news that a Muslim imam is delivering opening prayer for the Congress came as a breath of fresh air," Antepli told IOL.

WASHINGTON -– The silence in the great hall of the Congress was deafening as imam Abdullah Antepli started delivering the opening prayer for the House of Representatives on Wednesday, March 3.
Read the forum comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 06:31 PM

125 posts, read 113,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
I'm possibly the worlds biggest Agnostic, so I guess it's easy for me to see both sides of the equation of whether or not to believe in God (any God, not just Christian).

To me, being Agnostic means that I am aware of what a small, insignificant creature that I am in the scope of space and time and that it would be incredibly presumptuous and arrogant of me to have an attitude that there is absolutely no higher power than myself in all the cosmos.
On the other hand, every religion of the world thinks that their view is the only right one and that everyone else on the planet is doomed, dammed or whatever.

So both of the extreme views on either side are just as arrogant and ignorant as the other....

Now, I can understand that the devout are motivated by their faith, but I've always wondered what motivates hardcore type Atheists to be so adamant in demanding a lack of exposure to any religious references or symbols in their daily lives.
What I'm talking about here are the Freedom From Religion Foundation types who want to sue somebody every time a nativity scene goes up at Christmas time and lobbying to get "in God we trust" removed from currency etc.

Do you really have nothing better to do?

Because to me, you are just as bad as the morons from the Westboro Baptist Church.
Suits every time a nativity scene goes up? Really? Every time a church or someone else puts up a nativity scene, there's a suit? Of course there's not. However, there are sometimes suits when this happens on public property. But, of course, making the false claim that it happens every time, and declining to mention that it is only an issue when it regards public property, wouldn't make your claim as dramatic. So, you just dispense with ... you know... the truth. On that note, I have children in a public school. Not a Christmas goes by that the orchestra doesn't perform various songs (ie, mostly Christian, though the odd Jewish one makes an appearance now and then). Guess what? There has never been a suit of any sort, to my knowledge, and the school district is a rather liberal one in a rather liberal state. Too bad reality just doesn't jibe with the claims you're making, isn't it?

Lobbying to get In God We Trust removed? Don't you mean replaced with something like There Is No God? Of course you don't, because no one ever does that. And that would be the equivalent. But, no, those who oppose In God We Trust on coinage don't want it replaced with some statement claiming there are no deities, they simply want the state to take no position at all on the existence of deities (in much the same way it takes no position on, say, leprechauns). So this complaint of yours is a total false equivalency.

PS - You should be embarrassed that your statement that someone who wants In God We Trust removed from coinage is on the same level as the people who disrupt the funerals of veterans by shouting at and holding signs up to the aggrieved claiming that the deceased is burning in hell and deserved to die, because that claim is beyond pathetic.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:50 PM

7,378 posts, read 6,737,069 times
I think we can consider this thread a "FAIL".

Old 08-05-2013, 10:05 PM

8,135 posts, read 2,791,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post

No, not really.
It actually provided me with a lot of insight into the world and philosophy of Atheists.
For example, I would never have guessed that so many of you would have such a Holier than Thou attitude... :P

Old 08-05-2013, 10:16 PM

30,892 posts, read 31,793,503 times
Quote:
No, not really.
It actually provided me with a lot of insight into the world and philosophy of Atheists.
For example, I would never have guessed that so many of you would have such a Holier than Thou attitude... :P
Holier? Not at all. We are just more grounded and connected to reality and don't play childish make believe games.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:55 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,692,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
If you want to consider it a "fail" that's fine. It's your opinion. My opinion is that it is not. I am enjoying reading it. So the "we" stuff is a fail but the thread is not.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:22 AM

8,398 posts, read 9,900,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
As someone who was raised Jewish, the "Merry Christmas" thing brings to mind my mother. At Christmas time, when my sisters and I were little, cute and adorable, people would lean over and ask questions like, "What will Santa bring you this year?"

My mother used to say very indignantly, "Nothing! We're Jewish!"

My sisters and I never believed in Santa. We never believed in Christ. So being used to seeing Christian symbols on money, decorations on Christian holidays or what have you have never and still doesn't bother me in the least. Seeing symbols of Judaism outside Jewish homes and synagogues does a bit. They don't belong there.

When I was a little kid in school back in the 50's, one of my teachers decided that the twenty Jewish kids in the school of otherwise hundreds of good Irish/Italian/Polish Catholic kids should have representation by having Chanukah decorations/songs/food/etc. as well as Christmas decorations around the holidays. The trouble was, they did not know how to go about doing this. So the Jewish kids brought home notes telling our parents the "joyous" news. To a family the parents said "Thanks but no thanks."

You see, they were all Orthodox or Conservative sects of the Jewish faith. They did not "deck the halls." Especially public halls. It was very difficult for the well meaning Christians to understand this. The Jewish parents, many from the old country, just shook their heads. They did not understand either.

Decking the halls and mentioning god's name on currency or other public places was not a Jewish thing to do. God was private entity that did not even have a name in Hebrew. It was, in a sense, blasphemy. Well, maybe a song or two or a little nosh but why on earth would a Christian school, as the Jewish parents considered American schools to be, want to do this? Unheard of!

So we Jewish kids did not get our representation but that was fine with us. We still got the Christmas goodies, heard the stories, the music, saw the lights, got some gifts and best of all, Christmas vacation. To us it was always a fairy tale that the Christ was the Messiah for whom we were still supposed to be waiting.

Fast forward to today with all the political correctness. Everybody and their dogs' religions are well represented in our public schools and everywhere else. The Orthodox and Conservative sects of Judaism would still rather not but they have no say in the matter. Jewish kids still probably see Christmas as a fairy tale. The only difference for me then and now is that when I was a kid I believed in god because that is what I was taught to believe. As an adult I do not. I accept the fact that this country is predominantly religious and that religion is Christianity so there are going to be symbols and words depicting the dominant religion all over the place even on money.
So as for me, I don't give a hoot what halls are decked or with what money is imprinted public or otherwise.
It has no meaning. It never did.

Thanks mom.
76% of Americans are Christian, but out of those only about 50% are secs that believe in Christmas and celebrate it. 1/2 of America doesn't, that's a lot. That's enough to warrant consideration for others during the holidays. Jehovah's Witnesses don't celebrate it and they are Christian. Some other Christian secs don't either.

I like to think we can handle acknowledging more holidays than just Christmas. Dumbing down America isn't necessary for the sake of religious traditions in my opinion. I think we can handle it. I get sick of being know as french fry eating Christian idiots. The Christians I know have no problem showing respect for other holidays and most don't eat piles of french fries or super size burger meals and are not crying over the happy holidays greeting. They get it.

It's not for you who don't give a hoot, it's for the part of America that does. Out of all the issues we have why on earth has saying happy holidays thrown anyone for a loop. Please don't tell me it's to difficult to spit out happy holidays instead of Merry Christ mas, I don't buy it. What I do think is that it irritates the irritable. So what, they'd find something so it might as well be this.

We aren't and never have been a Christian nation. We have never been ruled by the thrown of religion. So there is no reason to hold on to religious tradition. There are just a lot of Christians here but there are a lot of Christians everywhere. The Christians here have tried to turn it into a Christian kingdom like they do everywhere they go. But it's never worked.

In America one consistent ideological principle we share is individualism and the consistent faith we share is freedom of democracy. Neither have anything to do with us all wishing each other a Merry Christmas.

The religious don't like Halloween, so they do Harvest instead and schools don't celebrate Halloween anymore. I like Halloween but never threw a fit about it and understood why the Christians didn't want it in school. I won't force the issue of Halloween if they don't shove Christmas down my throat. It should work out great.

I didn't need my mother for that. Although your mom sounds great.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:16 AM

4,999 posts, read 3,887,291 times
Quote:
Last I knew it was still a free country and there are plenty of people who agree with my definitions.....so sorry. I do get to have my own.

No sir, if you're going to change the meaning of words to suit your own personal purpose than nothing you say can be deemed worthwhile or valid in any context. This country being free has nothing to do with you attempting to create your own "facts". You have a right to your own beliefs not your own facts (definitions). You need to find a word that actually fits..I think "confused" would be better suited in this case.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:19 AM

4,999 posts, read 3,887,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I am a lifelong Atheist. My answer to your question is No.

In some ways, our government should not get involved with religion. In other ways, it is OK because religions, especially Christianity, have been a very important part of our American culture and they are good for many people in our society.

It depends on the situation. Putting religious symbols on public property is fine with me.
Xianity was used for 100s of years to justify slavery in this country. It needs to be banished from the public square forever as should all hocus pocus mythology.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:35 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,286,683 times
Quote:
What I'm talking about here are the Freedom From Religion Foundation types who want to sue somebody every time a nativity scene goes up at Christmas time and lobbying to get "in God we trust" removed from currency etc.

Do you really have nothing better to do?
Ah I see, another one of these then is it. One could just as justifiably wonder if you have nothing better to do than worry what other people do with their time? Clearly they feel such pursuits are worth engaging in, for reasons of their own, so who are you to judge?

While I agree that the things you list above are relatively minor skirmishes in a greater war, the fact is that they are symbolic of a greater movement that is out there. People who do not believe what theists are selling like myself would genuinely love to not engage with religion on ANY level in our day to day lives. SImply "Live and let live" and so forth.

We simply are not let. THEY take the fight to US.

All the things I am actually interested in: Education, science, morality, ethics, politics, sexuality, gay rights, literature, free expression, law, womens rights and much much more.... things I heavily study and involve myself in frequently.... are places where people shove their religion in my face day in, day out, and I have to push back.

The ideal would be for the religious to keep they unsubstantiated nonsense in their clubhouse and not in our halls of power, education and science.

They do not. So I can not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism