Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 09:44 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I can understand the point about robots and that a god would not want flesh and blood machines without will or volition. If we loved, obeyed and worshipped this God, I can see that it would only be pleasing to Him if it was done of our own choice, and not under compulsion let alone mind - control. That is plenty to account for free Will in God's creation, since evidently animals and indeed angels have Free will as well, as otherwise one could not account for the satanic rebellion and angelic fall, just as Adam disobeyed and fell.

Any problems with that so far, God -believers?
Good post...but I don't believe in Adam, a Fall, a disobedience, some test,...satanic rebellion I must
say I just don't know if that happened either....was there a Lucifer? Did he rebel?
Maybe.
Signed a God believer..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 09:49 AM

247 posts, read 236,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
Are you referring to ABSOLUTE free will or to LIMITED free will?

Please think before answering this:

If God (the Judeo-Christian God) exists, would it make sense to conclude that ANY being (God or not) can (has the ability to) exercise complete or absolute free will?
Once you've given he/she/it exemptive magical powers from logic (eg. uncaused cause), does it really even matter how many or which "what-if's" you throw in?

Old 08-17-2013, 09:56 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Good post...but I don't believe in Adam, a Fall, a disobedience, some test,...satanic rebellion I must
say I just don't know if that happened either....was there a Lucifer? Did he rebel?
Maybe.
Signed a God believer..
Well, I don't believe a word of it myself, but I'm sorta touching all bases in the game played in all the ways I can think of.

Typed, an unbelieving bastard .

Old 08-17-2013, 09:56 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,624,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaemonkey View Post
Once you've given he/she/it exemptive magical powers from logic (eg. uncaused cause), does it really even matter how many or which "what-if's" you throw in?
I would agree with you IF I were to grant "he/she/it" exemption from logic. I have not done so.

Would you perhaps now be so kind as to answer my questions?

Old 08-17-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
If God (the Judeo-Christian God) exists.
*snip*

Quote:
I would agree with you IF I were to grant "he/she/it" exemption from logic. I have not done so.

Would you perhaps now be so kind as to answer my questions?
Hate to say it, but the Judeo-Christian god is by definition exempt from logic (all gods for that matter); that's why they call it supernatural.

Trying to draw an invisible line between the differences of "absolute" free will vs "limited" free will is about the same as asking me to answer how many angels would be able to dance on the head of a pin if they were on Atkins as opposed to Jenny Craig.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
*snip*

Hate to say it, but the Judeo-Christian god is by definition exempt from logic (all gods for that matter); that's why they call it supernatural.
You saying so doesn't necessarily make it so. Could God (Judeo-Christian) create a square circle or a four sided triangle? Does scripture list things that God cannot do?

Quote:
Trying to draw an invisible line between the differences of "absolute" free will vs "limited" free will is about the same as asking me to answer how many angels would be able to dance on the head of a pin if they were on Atkins as opposed to Jenny Craig.
It seems to me that you're making it much more complicated than it needs to be. The questions are actually quite simple and straight forward.

No tricks - just seeking an honest answer.

(Perhaps that's my problem - seeking honesty and frankness where there is none to be found)

Old 08-17-2013, 10:30 AM

In that case, if obesity is a problem among angels, then it makes logical sense that dieting might allow more of them to dance on the head of the pin if either the pin were large enough or they were small enough (and they weren't trying to do the swing).

*edit*
Quote:
(Perhaps that's my problem - seeking honesty and frankness where there is none to be found)
Actually, the problem is asking a bunch of people who don't believe in Unicorns what properties their horn would have if they did exist. Once you allow magic into the equation, then intelligent answers go out the window.

Last edited by greaemonkey; 08-17-2013 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 08-17-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
In that case, if obesity is a problem among angels, then it makes logical sense that dieting might allow more of them to dance on the head of the pin if either the pin were large enough or they were small enough (and they weren't trying to do the swing).

*edit*

Actually, the problem is asking a bunch of people who don't believe in Unicorns what properties their horn would have if they did exist. Once you allow magic into the equation, then intelligent answers go out the window.

...and the atheistic dogma continues to abound...

Pardon me for asking.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:16 PM

534 posts, read 904,893 times
as we are biological creatures, i would think that the source of "free will" is our innate mechanics. Why does one person stop to notice a cloud, and another look at the same cloud and notice nothing?

Old 08-17-2013, 12:30 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times
Quote:
Are you referring to ABSOLUTE free will or to LIMITED free will?

Please think before answering this:

If God (the Judeo-Christian God) exists, would it make sense to conclude that ANY being (God or not) can (has the ability to) exercise complete or absolute free will?
Were you going for the omniscience/omnipotence/paradox angle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism