U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 09:57 AM

10,946 posts, read 8,259,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
You saying so doesn't necessarily make it so. Could God (Judeo-Christian) create a square circle or a four sided triangle? Does scripture list things that God cannot do?

It seems to me that you're making it much more complicated than it needs to be. The questions are actually quite simple and straight forward.

No tricks - just seeking an honest answer.

(Perhaps that's my problem - seeking honesty and frankness where there is none to be found)
When referring to this magical god of yours, there is no actual knowledge to base an "honest" answer on.

This being the case, what you expect as an answer will never satisfy you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Honestly and sincerely - I don't really have any "angle." With respect to the OP, I would only say that if my questions are legitimate, it would infer that the person presenting the OP doesn't quite understand what the question ought to be. Would this seem to be a fair estimate IYO?
"What the question ought to be"?

In whose opinion, yours? The question stands and your estimate of it means nothing.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:14 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,433,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
When referring to this magical god of yours, there is no actual knowledge to base an "honest" answer on.

This being the case, what you expect as an answer will never satisfy you.
Hmmm, where to start? You've made some pretty dogmatic statements here. One can only wonder as to whether or not you're actually up to the task of backing them up with logical and persuasive arguments - better yet, are you even willing to try? I have my doubts. (No offense intended - just being candid)

Old 08-18-2013, 12:15 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,433,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
"What the question ought to be"?

In whose opinion, yours? The question stands and your estimate of it means nothing.
Is my estimate supposed to mean something?

It's a discussion forum and you've presented a topic for open discussion - presumably, even to the likes of me. That's the presumption anyway.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Is my estimate supposed to mean something?

It's a discussion forum and you've presented a topic for open discussion - presumably, even to the likes of me. That's the presumption anyway.
No, your estimate is only your opinion. Discussion is meant to be two sided, not just your opinion presented as unarguable fact, which is what you seem to be doing.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Hmmm, where to start? You've made some pretty dogmatic statements here. One can only wonder as to whether or not you're actually up to the task of backing them up with logical and persuasive arguments - better yet, are you even willing to try? I have my doubts. (No offense intended - just being candid)
Hmmm, alleged dogmatic statements bother you, except when they agree with you?

As stated in the post you quoted, you will only accept statements that you desire to accept as fact. Anything else you continue to reject because you do not wish to consider it.

I will admit, you are being candid in your ignorant statements. But of course, that is what is expected of you.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:06 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,109,966 times
Genes + circumstances = illusion of free will

Old 08-19-2013, 02:34 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,869,945 times
I don't believe in free will. I don't believe all events are necessarily fully determined, but this doesn't give one true choice, it merely means that there can be more than one single outcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism