U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 01:45 AM

5,563 posts, read 6,328,048 times

Advertisements

At a time of my deconversion birth pains I met this one atheist online by the name of Transponder. Perhaps he saw the logic-me struggling to climb out of the theist bottomless pit of lies. He astounded me by his obvious keen biblical knowledge and was oblivious to his being atheist.

The good news is that logic-me escaped and that "celebrity atheist" also posts here, say hello to Arequipa Thanks for the nudges in the right direction when it was solely needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 10:31 AM

14,198 posts, read 9,109,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie99 View Post
There are some sites that list Bill Gates as an atheist. He is not. He's has no religious affiliation, but he has never spoken about atheism.
Gates seems unwilling to come right out and say that he's not a believer or doesn't take religion seriously. It's clear however that to the extent he even thinks about it, he's at least an extremely agnostic theist:

Bill Gates - Celebrity Atheist List

I would say he's functionally an atheist if he sees going to church as an "inefficient allocation of time resources" and he sees no evidence at all for god, as shown in the referenced quotes. Like a lot of functional atheists he's unwilling to be be overtly branded with the "Scarlet A" and probably just has no interest in (ir)religion -- he sees it as an epic time suck that he doesn't want to be tangled up in.

He also is unwilling to see religion as a bad influence; besides, he's married to a fairly liberal Catholic. He's also not above saying his charitable activities save lives and as such are doing "god's work". But I think he's like many irreligious people, he has no opinion on it and doesn't really want to spend time developing one.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:30 PM

41,256 posts, read 18,629,386 times
I have not posted in this thread before now because I'm unimpressed with the relevancy of the concept. That someone is a celebrity fails to influence my consumer choices despite their presence in advertisements, and the fact that they are celebrities also has no impact on my views of the cosmos.

The only area of celebrity status that does have an impact on me is when and if I happen to learn that a particular celebrity is a god squader. If I had liked the celebrity before then I am now disappointed. An example would be former MLB player Andy van Slyke. For years he was on my list of favorite players because he was such a good post game interview, always had some clever quip or original insight rather than feeding the media the traditional cliches. It wasn't until after he retired that I learned that he had taken over the leadership of Baseball Chapel, the organization of prayer happy players. I was heart stricken.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:36 AM

39,293 posts, read 10,937,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Just curious on an individual who kind of really introduced me to the existence of 'athesim' back when I was in Catholic grammar school...Madalyn Murray O'Hair (apologies on spelling..I see that some spell her last name as O'Hare).
You got it right. The Chicago airport is not named after her...maybe one day it will be

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Gates seems unwilling to come right out and say that he's not a believer or doesn't take religion seriously. It's clear however that to the extent he even thinks about it, he's at least an extremely agnostic theist:...
I think that's pretty much right.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-24-2013 at 03:49 AM..

Old 08-24-2013, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
At a time of my deconversion birth pains I met this one atheist online by the name of Transponder. Perhaps he saw the logic-me struggling to climb out of the theist bottomless pit of lies. He astounded me by his obvious keen biblical knowledge and was oblivious to his being atheist.

The good news is that logic-me escaped and that "celebrity atheist" also posts here, say hello to Arequipa Thanks for the nudges in the right direction when it was solely needed.
Thanks. I shall pray to the lady Athe that you have a seat night next the beer fountain in the fabulous afterlife of the ungodly. On Tentmaker and IPOG (the unreasonable in pursuit of the unbelievable) we argued amicably and you were a refreshing change from some of the others who clearly hadn't opened up to different ideas. Do you remember when I got banned because the site -boss didn't like another site where I posted?

I thought you might deconvert all the way and hoped you might and it was a real pleasure to find you here in the ranks and armor of the satanspawn. In fact I just dealt with your points and questions as I did with everyone else and you did all the work yourself. I just maybe helped resolve some questions a bit quicker.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:26 AM

14,198 posts, read 9,109,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Thanks. I shall pray to the lady Athe that you have a seat night next the beer fountain in the fabulous afterlife of the ungodly. On Tentmaker and IPOG (the unreasonable in pursuit of the unbelievable) we argued amicably and you were a refreshing change from some of the others who clearly hadn't opened up to different ideas. Do you remember when I got banned because the site -boss didn't like another site where I posted?

I thought you might deconvert all the way and hoped you might and it was a real pleasure to find you here in the ranks and armor of the satanspawn. In fact I just dealt with your points and questions as I did with everyone else and you did all the work yourself. I just maybe helped resolve some questions a bit quicker.
If I may say -- you two inspire me to keep on keeping on. I have come close a couple of times to just deleting my account here -- between the endless merry go round of non sequiters and non-listening of the godly, and the draconian moderation where wasted effort is put into posts that vanish for any reason or no reason. Posting here is the closest I come to using the "eye of faith" anymore and once in a blue moon it's nice to see a concrete example that tells me it's worth it all somehow. I believe there are theist lurkers here who know the truth of matters in their hearts but are afraid to admit it to themselves, much less anyone else. I remember when I was one of those and it's my way of giving back.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:33 AM

I have at times grown weary of apparently arguing with a lot of computers programmed to recite scripture. As Clarke put it in 'City and the stars' a question put that does not fit its programming and it clears its circuits and pretends that the question has not been asked.

But I believe it's worth doing because many -perhaps thousands - out there are unable to help asking questions and this is where they will find some answers, not least because we are not just saying what we think but arguing it out with the best that the believers can come up with.

Which is why the more strained and far -fetched may be the arguments used to counter us, while it seems irritating that we are not 'getting through' the better case this looks to the lurkers, the questioners and indeed the theists who may disagree in whole or in part - to whom I say 'come and talk'.

P.s I do rather appreciate the moderation here. Without it, things would soon turn into a lot of kids throwing the game pieces at each other (which benefits only those who were well on the way to losing).

It is quite rewarding to master the art of flesh-stripping one's opposition to the quivering bone so politely and respectfully that the UN observers just nod and reckon that's quite within the rules.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-24-2013 at 09:43 AM..

Old 08-24-2013, 12:31 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,713,799 times
Quote:
It is quite rewarding to master the art of flesh-stripping one's opposition to the quivering bone so politely and respectfully that the UN observers just nod and reckon that's quite within the rules.
God Arequipa et al, must you guys be so war-like????????????????.....You must be temperate and not always be concerned in holding the high ground........;-)...............

Old 08-24-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
God Arequipa et al, must you guys be so war-like????????????????.....You must be temperate and not always be concerned in holding the high ground........;-)...............

Sorry. I just been watching 'Patton'....

Old 08-24-2013, 08:08 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,713,799 times
Quote:
Sorry. I just been watching 'Patton'....

That's a good flick. Favorite of mine. A tough guy for tough times!! We're all in this 'battle' for truth together, eh?
And he'd appreciate us thinking about him.....

'If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking''..;-)....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism