U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 08:30 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,713,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
'If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking''..;-)....
Please note....not my quote but George's....sorry for any confusion!...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 12:07 PM

6,884 posts, read 3,802,820 times
I came across this by accident when looking for something else.
Thought I'd post it here.

This is Katherine Hepburn in 1973:

Katharine Hepburn on Religion - YouTube

Old 09-06-2013, 09:27 PM

30,710 posts, read 33,543,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I don't see that at all. Are you saying atheists are somehow of a similar mindset to scientologists? That some people become atheist because it is fashionable to do so?

Scientology as far as I can tell is some kind of Hollywood religious cult that people join to fill some desperate hole in their lives. Atheists are just individuals getting on with their lives.
Where does the blackmail scenario fit into it?

The only connection I can see between a list of famous atheists and a list of famous scientologists is the fact that they are famous.
No, I'm saying it's been fashionable to be one of these things. And of course they are all famous, it was the point of the thread . I was already looking at one list when this thread popped up, so I found the other and posted it here.

I don't think atheism will ever be fashionable since people have too much to loose. It's like folks are admired for believing in SOMETHING/ANYTHING because it's closer to yourreligionofchoice than being an atheist ever will be.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:50 AM

39,288 posts, read 10,937,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
My favourite one is DEAD!

Christopher Hitchens!
But his inspirational spirit (not to be confused with a soul ) lives on.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:33 PM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,903,489 times
I know this thread is about celebrity atheists but being "out there" also applies to well known business people.
Somebody mentioned Bill Gates as not "coming out" as an atheist. Why should he, he is a business person and sells he products to a lot of believers? He has a lot more believers than he does atheists as customers and you don't want to turn off your base.
The same holds true for any businessman in the "bible belt" I don't care if your selling hot dogs or Mercedes Benz, come out as an atheist in the South and that just where your business will be going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism