U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 08:59 AM

3,673 posts, read 4,936,279 times

Advertisements

hello friends....
i was thinking this morning about a topic and i wasn't able to figure out a possible answer to it......thought i'd try my educated friends on here.....

Why do some animals have "Animal instincts" when they're born (like hunting, fighting predators, flying, walking, etc.) while other animals (ie. humans) do not? (Strictly from an evolutionary standpoint.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 09:03 AM

15,379 posts, read 12,138,366 times
But don't we?

Playing is a big one, punking is another and then to procreate.

I mean this....playing and laughing is an instinct, imo.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
But don't we?

Playing is a big one, punking is another and then to procreate.

I mean this....playing and laughing is an instinct, imo.
I should be clearer then.....i'm talking about when we are born.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:52 AM

242 posts, read 197,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
I should be clearer then.....i'm talking about when we are born.
...a quick google search on "Feral Children" would probably be pretty informative for you on this subject. Fascinating stuff, and the line between human and animal probably isn't as broad as you might think.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:28 PM

40,975 posts, read 18,573,926 times
Quote:
hello friends....
i was thinking this morning about a topic and i wasn't able to figure out a possible answer to it......thought i'd try my educated friends on here.....

Why do some animals have "Animal instincts" when they're born (like hunting, fighting predators, flying, walking, etc.) while other animals (ie. humans) do not? (Strictly from an evolutionary standpoint.)
Different survival schemes.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:20 PM

1,647 posts, read 3,008,753 times
Humans grasp, root, and suck. Those are the primary needs of human babies (like most primates) in order to survive right from the start. Those are reflexes, which show up at birth. Other instincts appear as they become necessary for survival.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
Humans grasp, root, and suck. Those are the primary needs of human babies (like most primates) in order to survive right from the start. Those are reflexes, which show up at birth. Other instincts appear as they become necessary for survival.
Wouldn't it make more evolutionary sense as far as survival if we had evolved into not needing much after being born? Why do we have fewer of the 'instincts' i mentioned, than the next animal?

Old 08-19-2013, 02:30 PM

40,975 posts, read 18,573,926 times
Quote:
Wouldn't it make more evolutionary sense as far as survival if we had evolved into not needing much after being born? Why do we have fewer of the 'instincts' i mentioned, than the next animal?
You are using the word sense as in the product of a reasonable plan and that does not describe evolution, there is no plan, only the product of serial accidents, some of which produced survival utility, and some of which did not. Evolution isn't a thinking entity with an end goal, it is natural law.

You could ask "Wouldn't it make more sense if all weather on Earth was moderate rather than featuring periodic destructive extremes?" And yeah, that would make sense in terms of human convenience, but human convenience is not a concern of the forces which generate weather patterns.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:56 PM

6,862 posts, read 3,787,690 times
Evolution is about efficiency and adaption. All animals keep the bits that are useful and eventually jettison the bits that become less useful or useless to them.

I like to think of the evolution of the skeleton and particularly interesting is how similar the hands and feet of humans skeletons are to other animals.

These skeleton limbs are remarkably similar, each with fingers / toes adapted - longer or smaller or sometimes lost altogether, according to need.

It's the same with instinct. Instinct needs brain power. We do not have the same need to be able to see keenly in the dark like an owl, or have sensitive hearing like a bat or use echolation like a dolphin, or navigate like a bird etc. We need our brainpower for things that are more relevant to us like reading, speaking and fine motor skills. It's all a question of adaption to need.
Although some humans are more evolved than others of course.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:17 PM

1,647 posts, read 3,008,753 times
I knew I had read this, but it took me a while to find it again.

Do humans have instincts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism