U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 02:19 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,192,085 times

Advertisements

Yes he was... but then again, so was Gandalf.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 09:32 PM

583 posts, read 1,488,134 times
and when he was nailed to the cross to quote the black knight it just a flush wound

Old 09-05-2013, 11:32 AM

6,370 posts, read 5,815,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDragon View Post
Ughhhhh.......Am I missing something? It is bothersome that Josephus is still considered evidence that jeebus existed.
Josephus' account of Jesus is a known forgery, also known as flavious testimonial, and was likely interpolated by Catholic Church historian Eusebius in the fourth century. It should be bothersome to christians that Josephus, who laboriously chronicled the lives of everyday jews, such as petty thieves, was 'somehow' unaware of his contemporary, the greatest miracle man that would ever exist. In fact, there were 30 or so Jesus contemporary historians, and none of them, to my knowledge, mention 'the son of god'.

Josephus on Jesus | Forgery and Fraud? | Flavius Testimonium
The enemies of Christ recorded events that lend credit to the claims about Him:

Christ, the final scapegoat

BTW, I know nothing about the rest of that sight but the link has some very interesting statements about events that just so happened at the right time in history.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:09 PM

16,092 posts, read 17,888,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post

BTW, I know nothing about the rest of that sight but the link has some very interesting statements about events that just so happened at the right time in history.
I backtracked and that is a site for books from one man who *claims* to be a biblical archeologist. Unfortunately, his name is not listed on sites for legitimate archeology whether biblical or otherwise. John Argubright has several books on the subject, but no bio anywhere that I can find. His books are for bible believers and not apparently scholarship of any real kind.

Archaeologists, Biblical Scholars & Works – Biblical Archaeology Society

Old 09-05-2013, 03:40 PM

6,370 posts, read 5,815,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I backtracked and that is a site for books from one man who *claims* to be a biblical archeologist. Unfortunately, his name is not listed on sites for legitimate archeology whether biblical or otherwise. John Argubright has several books on the subject, but no bio anywhere that I can find. His books are for bible believers and not apparently scholarship of any real kind.

Archaeologists, Biblical Scholars & Works – Biblical Archaeology Society
And?

What is your qualifications for making such an analysis?

Old 09-06-2013, 07:53 AM

14,193 posts, read 9,080,735 times
Quote:
And?

What is your qualifications for making such an analysis?
He doesn't need any qualifications to do what any smart reader does -- check out the credentials and reputation of the author of any book you read.

Can YOU find any factual background on this guy that suggests he has a good reputation and relevant education?

Old 09-06-2013, 09:47 PM

16,092 posts, read 17,888,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
He doesn't need any qualifications to do what any smart reader does -- check out the credentials and reputation of the author of any book you read.

Can YOU find any factual background on this guy that suggests he has a good reputation and relevant education?
She...

But you are correct. If the author has *any* credentials, they are nowhere to be found.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:50 AM

39,041 posts, read 10,831,421 times
Quote:

I had a look (some time ago 1) at that claim that the Talmud story about the goat and crimson ribbon was somehow linked with the death of Jesus. Not sure if I kept the details but it turned out that it missed by some ten years the supposed date of the crucifixion and in fact the Chief Priest named in the story was not a match to any Chief Priest of the time. Other stories about the same dude seem set in the pre -Roman days, the fellow even meeting and (rather unhistorically) influencing Alexander and the suspicion is that he is an invented Priest in invented stories designed to give some retrospective explanation of Alexander's apparent leaving the Jews alone, the destruction of the Temple and so -on, cast in anecdotal form.

The upshot is that this goat and ribbon story is nothing whatever to do with Jesus.

(1) I had to read up and research quite a bit as the 'proof of Jesus' claim did not research at all but just quotemined a snippit of rather misleading info and presented it as evidence of Jesus and indeed the Gospels account.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:59 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,370,795 times
Default Always.. "There's Absolutely No Good Evidence!", despite all the good evidence... <yawn...>

Quote:

1): What about the events that didn't happen in the right chronological time period?

and 2):

It is our perogative to review the credibility of anyone that publishes any peer-reviewed document for its rational background, as well as it's scientific credibility if that's in question, and/or it's overall believability is dubious.

But 3):

When someone claims they made a goat fly, or had a fellow church-goer's recently amputated limb rejuvenated, or where they completely cured a near-dead cancer-stricken person with, say, healing crystals or special Godly candles, we get to check it out. You just accept it if it comes under the aegis of a Christian/godly event? Why... It's a PtL for sure, and all that stuff is just believed without so much as a single curious question?

My, how trusting you are!!

This, btw, is how all the old and ancient Middle East spiritual myths got handed down, but then they had to be modified to correct the obvious flaws and EPIC FAILS in the story line, and such.

As in: the fairly recent re-write of the geological timeframe when it became obvious the old Mythics could not defend the so easily counted annual sedimentary layers that lead to the full-on realization that it had taken multiple millions or more of years to lay down all those still not bottomed out sedimentary layers with their clearly annualized markers.

So. We're now told that (as the IDTrs apparently "knew" all along...) God simply adjusted His Universal construction time-line {one of God's special Creation/Genesis construction years = 20 million of ours, let's claim...} accordingly but also temporarily. 'Cause then He re-altered it back when He (pant pant, puff puff) gotter'all done in the necessary millions of years.

And you trettep? What do you just accept here??

Since so many Christians auto-reject any honest research work solely on the basis that it was carefully studied under the rules and ideals of the simple logical PROCESS known as The SM, the humiliation at these sorts of realized truths must have been a very humble pie to swallow, all dry and crumbly.

Then when we've recently (in the last 40 or so years...) moved on to accurately date old dinosaurian, terrestrial and aquatic animal forms & plant fossils, we're stridently told, in the most absolute terms, that all such techniques still suffer, even when shown their now-accepted and fully corrected inaccuracies identified in the mid-'50s.

Not to mention the very latest ultra-new non-radio-decay related technologies that extend our dating well into the multi-multi-millions of years, ± just a few thousand years at most. A VERY SMALL percentage error in fact. (<< 1.0% max).

The searing pain of seeing such inarguable accuracies must be almost unbearable when piled on top of all the other evolving facts, which neatly tie in together as the story is finalized.

And yet, it's argued as though there have been no new dating or aging processes identified (gfawww)! No improvements in any of these now-reliable tests, no elimination or scientific denial of the ≈50k Carbon14 limits.

All this new or improved stuff is just laughingly dismissed and denied as never even existing or capable of of any such spectacular accuracy. Even when we cross-check an artifact of known age (kept from the researchers of course: a blind test we call it...) from, say, ancient Egypt or of even earlier Sumerian traders, the resulting date determinations completely and fully concur with known dates.

Ho hum. There's that dry taste of humiliation again, yes? Here: drink some of the Holy Miracle Water I found on line. It'll cure anything!

Peter Popoff Debt Relief Scammer? Erase Your Debt With Supernatural Massive Intervention Using Miracle Spring Water. - Get Out of Debt Guy

Wow! It's all such a rampant and hysterical farce, eh trettep? (...or do you still believe in Godly Miracle Cures and an inerrant biblical literalism to the total exclusion of rational trials and tests and newfound knowledge??)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism