U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 05:52 PM

2,438 posts, read 4,226,586 times

Advertisements

To answer the original question:

Great Awakening - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The term Great Awakening is used to refer to several periods of religious revival in American religious history. Historians and theologians identify three or four waves of increased religious enthusiasm occurring between the early 18th century and the late 19th century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 07:12 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,706,160 times
Quote:
More disturbingly, why the recent almost gleeful polarization in our society, to the point that compromise is a dirty word and actual governance is scarcely possible anymore?

I don't doubt that some of this occurs in other countries, but we seem particularly talented at it and it seems to have reached systemic proportions in the past decade.

Regarding polarization in US society today, I'm not sure it's 'gleeful.. Maybe moreso hateful at times with distemper all around. And as regards the 'systemic proportions', as long as we can refrain from going off the deep end into political pathology and hold off throwing out say the judicial branch of government or any other branch of government to serve [poiltical ends, we, in this democracy, will slog through dealing with the tough decisions our country faces today ...from within and without. Without a doubt, the US must defeat our enemies who if you think about it are enemies of freedom. You know unfortunately the US success in creating a functioning democracy since the 18th arguably has made our outlook perhaps a bit naive in the sense that perhaps when we look at very nascent potential democratic movements in their extremly early stages of birth we see future success and tend to dismiss away failure. Anarchy has no place here no matter how others try to install it. Perhaps all this devolves from 'insecurity' but it is a perfectly rational insecurity. No doubt we hjad it in even before Premier Kruschchev noted in his rhetoric, 'We will bury you!'. ..;-)....One of the world's greatest nations can do no less in 'being on the watch'.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:25 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,114,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
To answer the original question:
To be honest, I never understood exactly what the original question was.

In you opinion, what was it?

Old 08-29-2013, 03:46 PM

2,438 posts, read 4,226,586 times
I thought it was "why does the US have more religious fanaticism than other countries that have a similar cultural background?"

Old 08-29-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I thought it was "why does the US have more religious fanaticism than other countries that have a similar cultural background?"
I didn't see that question in the original post, but it is an interesting question, so I will respond to it.

Because America has so much military power, we feel we can do whatever we want. We don't need to cooperate with other countries. We are not team players, at least not as much as other countries are.

This attitude may carry over to our views on religion. If I were a Theist, I would see no need to join an organized religion. I would form my own religion and find others who believed like I do. Organized religions would probably see me as a fanatic.

In short, the way we relate to organized religions is similar to the way we Americans relate to international organizations. Screw 'em. We will do things our way.

That's my theory. Got a better one?

Old 09-01-2013, 12:57 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,351,112 times
I'd be amazed to learn that Americans are really that different from anyone else. Anywhere you go you will find superstitious, credulous people who think what they see on TV is real, and that all the fairytales they heard as children are gospel.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:04 AM

5,563 posts, read 6,320,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I'd be amazed to learn that Americans are really that different from anyone else. Anywhere you go you will find superstitious, credulous people who think what they see on TV is real, and that all the fairytales they heard as children are gospel.
No they are not generically different but the witches and vampires seems to be considered if I may put it this way, natural folklore which is absent here amongst white Africans. The black folk have sorta witches called Sangomas but would probably be more in line with the native American medicine men.

Perhaps Africa being part of the Southern route to the east ensured cultural "updates" from Europe. The Asian community here (muslims and hindus) also do not seem to have this other folklore so perhaps the more isolated Americas developed these for reasons unknown.

Similarly, the mainstream christendom here followed a totally different path to the US, ours being more influenced by the Dutch and the English and generally a lot tamer and more orthodox. The crazy aspects of pentecostals and charismatics was all imported from the states. Other than this, our cultural evolution tends to be very similar to the US.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
The crazy aspects of pentecostals and charismatics was all imported from the states.
Do these religious movements actually have a following in your country? If so, then they must be fulfilling a need that was not addressed in your established religions.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:37 AM

6,862 posts, read 3,788,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Those are very good points.
That is why you never see our political leaders dressed in military uniforms, like the silly British royalty wore when Prince William and Kate got married.
Our Constitution makes it perfectly clear that our military is controlled by CIVILIANS.

See, don't you wish you had a constitution?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I am sorry for calling the British royalty "silly".
I just found that I am a direct descendent of King Henry II of England, so I guess that makes me royalty of some kind.
From now on, you may call me "Lord Hiker".
Hiker I appreciate your apology, but being a fellow Brit I couldn't let your comment lie without making a few pointers *sorry*
Apologies for being briefly off topic here too - although the military dress is of course ceremonial, it reflects a long history of royalty actually serving in the military. Although William himself has never been allowed to put himself in any real danger, he has nevertheless had extensive training, is fully qualified and serves as search and rescue pilot. Prince Philip had a long and distinguished career in the Navy, Harry served in Afghanistan and Andrew served in the Falklands.
http://www.royal.gov.uk/ThecurrentRo...arycareer.aspx
http://www.royal.gov.uk/ThecurrentRo...valcareer.aspx
http://www.royal.gov.uk/ThecurrentRo...arycareer.aspx
http://www.royal.gov.uk/ThecurrentRo...valcareer.aspx

Also I think you have your wires crossed about who makes decisions about protecting the country. The British government makes those decisions, not the Royals.

Anyhow, this is irrelevant so back to the thread.

Quote:
Depends what you consider a 'similar cultural background'. Which countries are we considering here that are similar? Not picking on you here Rob Allen, just using your quote for ease.

I think the answer to the question, is that Americans seem to be, I hate to say it, 'brainwashed' into believing in supernatural entities, and frankly, if you believe in god, why not believe in UFOs or anything else.
I'm sorry, and once again going to be unpopular with this, but I think the pledge of allegiance, with its reference to god only serves to reinforce this. We can keep harking back to the separation of church and state, but as long as Americans are made to pledge allegiance to god, as far as I can see, this overrides the words in the constitution, since every American is required to say it regardless of their beliefs.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:10 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,882,835 times
"every American is required to say it regardless of their beliefs."

We are??

guess I'm in trouble.

I like to know what I'm pledging to.
And the U.S. pledge is far to vague.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism