Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:13 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times

Advertisements

Makes me sick. In fla we have the "in god we trust" plates... I find those offensive. Who is we? It's not me. I find people who believe jn a pretend being who okays slavery, rape, genocide, murder etc offensive.To me this is a blanket denial , of his freedom of speech and "religion" or lack there of.

New Jersey rejects 'ATHEIST' vanity plate for being offensive - Autoblog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 09:29 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
There is still a stigma attached to the term "Atheist"; it's fading but still strong in some quarters. The religious and some other groups think they have the right to control their environment to the extent that they don't have to see certain people or words that they disapprove of. Slowly, they are learning that they just have to suck it up and live in the Real World with Other People.

It's very similar to how fundamentalists would claim to love gays but would somehow be creeped out by, say, the license plate my publisher, who happened to be a lesbian, had years ago in Seattle: IM OWT. Love 'em, but keep 'em out of your neighborhood, if not your city, because they're icky. Yeah, that's real love, alright. Agape love, to boot, I'm sure.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:45 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
I have a feeling this isn't the last we will here about this. It would be interesting though if someone tried to get "theist" as a licence plate.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:48 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Makes me sick. In fla we have the "in god we trust" plates... I find those offensive. Who is we? It's not me. I find people who believe jn a pretend being who okays slavery, rape, genocide, murder etc offensive.To me this is a blanket denial , of his freedom of speech and "religion" or lack there of.

New Jersey rejects 'ATHEIST' vanity plate for being offensive - Autoblog
Good.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:20 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I have a feeling this isn't the last we will here about this. It would be interesting though if someone tried to get "theist" as a license plate.
I'll bet there's a 50% chance that some sleepwalking bureaucrat would not know the difference and disallow it, too, thinking it's some slight variation on "atheist" to get around the prohibition. "Theist" is not a commonly used word outside of the forums, or theologians or philosophers.

I will just about guarantee that if the meaning is known or looked up, there would be a 10x greater chance of approving THEIST even though it is no more nor less provocative than ATHEIST. I'd say if ATHEIST is disallowed, then THEIST should be disallowed on the same "basis". Both are as innocuous, really, as ILUVDOGS or REPBLCN or LIBERAL or BOYSCOUT.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:20 AM

I'd like to know who has the right to deem this "offensive". Anything can be offensive to anyone really. I hope this isn't the last we hear about this. I hope he fights this to the bitter end.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:37 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I'd like to know who has the right to deem this "offensive". Anything can be offensive to anyone really. I hope this isn't the last we hear about this. I hope he fights this to the bitter end.
It is being fought...from the linked OP article:
Quote:
New Jersey's got another problem: David Silverman isn't just any atheist, he's the President of American Atheists, a group that's been around since the '60s with a track record of taking cities and states to court to uphold the rights of non-believers. It doesn't sound like Silverman was looking for a fight, but the Garden State just gave him one. He's already filed his first appeal.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
It is being fought...from the linked OP article:
Yes, I just hope he doesn't give up

Old 08-28-2013, 08:09 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
They already reversed themselves

Atheist Allowed To Show His Godlessness On License Plate After New Jersey DMV Reverses

Quote:
Atheist Allowed To Show His Godlessness On License Plate After New Jersey DMV Reverses

Old 08-28-2013, 09:07 PM

50 posts, read 187,485 times
I haven't quite made up my mind about David Silverman. Not a fan of his debate techniques, nor his ability to defend his offense, if you will. I don't know if it's fair-- or rather, a common atheistic practice--to take explicit OFFENSE to a religious display. I think the point, which I believe has been echoed by Silverman and his organization, is to promote fair/equal representation of all beliefs and non-beliefs. If 'THEIST' and 'ILUVGOD' are allowed, why not 'ATHEIST?' To that end, I admire the provocative nature of his approach. I'd still say he's a bit of a firestarter, but at the same time, he's making unequivocal legal headway on many fronts.

Last edited by EverydayAddams; 08-28-2013 at 09:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism