U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 02:39 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,105,840 times

Advertisements

As I mentioned in the NJ license plate thread...Straw Dogs by John Gray. That is my favorite book by any author. Quite unlikely ever to be supplanted (until I read something in a couple years, I'm sure)...but that's because I respect a pessimistic worldview (which is rare to find from anyone)

Harris, Dawkins, Dennett, Hitchens are all definitely worth reading. John Allen Paulos wrote a nice little underrated book called "Irreligion" that I enjoyed. Hecht, mentioned above...I've been wanting to read "Doubt", but in the absence of being able to opine on that, I will say that "The Happiness Myth" by the same author is quite good. George H Smith impresses upon me in "Atheism: The Case Against God" that the (man-made) concept of god cannot even be coherently defined...whether or not atheism can then be coherently be defined is another topic for another day (I ultimately say no, which is why on my better days I claim not to be an atheist but rather to have no religious views...of course, on my better days, I don't say anything at all about my non-belief in an imaginary concept).

Any and all philosophy is good, to make you think, generally. The most underrated "life component" in 2013 'merica is philosophy. Ethical nihilism is the elephant in the room that no good patriotic nominally god-fearing 'merican wants to acknowledge.

Make that hypocrite acknowledge it, and add the fact that his rights are as beholden to the tenuous social contract of the Constitution as the rights of us atheists are. Add a "**** you" if needed, for emphasis' sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 05:54 AM

39,020 posts, read 10,812,637 times
Nice idea, an atheist booklist. I would reccomend Harbour's 'Intelligent persons' guide to atheism' which I'd say was one of the most important books I ever read, though I must say I didn't care for the terms 'Baroque' and 'Spartan' worldview as they have all sorts of connotations (not always the ones Daniel Harbour would have wanted) and 'Rational' and 'dogmatic' worldview was already there in the text and I would much prefer those.

That said, if one still has any doubts about rationalism as a credible and workable worldview (atheism is merely the rationalist worldview in respect of god claims only) after reading this book, I don't know what will sort them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Inte...ide_to_Atheism

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-29-2013 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: God claims rather than religious claims. and god -claims rather than God - claims.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
As a non-atheist, these noted books will put me to the grindstone since I read extensively. The books will be a journey. I wonder what I will find. I think I will be a stranger in a strange land and I think it will be a fascinating intellectual exercise in my religio-historical mind.
Whatever you find and whatever you decide, I would applaud you for doing the reading. If at the end you come out a god -believer, then good for you. Literally, or so I hope. I would also hope that you would at least understand the reason and rationale underpinning the atheist position, even if you didn't buy it.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:40 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,702,136 times
Quote:
Whatever you find and whatever you decide, I would applaud you for doing the reading. If at the end you come out a god -believer, then good for you. Literally, or so I hope. I would also hope that you would at least understand the reason and rationale underpinning the atheist position, even if you didn't buy it.
Thank you Arequipa. One thing I must say from the sometimes profound posts here is that 'conversion' appears to go both ways, i.e. away from God and a going to God. Two different journeys. Two different psychological associations relating to the spiritual done by individuals to find their 'truth, way and the life'. Perhaps that is why I am utterly fascinated by those of the 'atheistic persuasion' and correspondingly St. Paul. To me one of greatest individuals who lived in the world. It was he who has fashioned our relation to the spiritual and eternal aspects of human life. I was always curious why he did not have an opponent who say 'defeated' him. From the looks of it he in a way has 'won' the battle. Question is am I wrong that the reason he won was the fact that the 'idea' set against him, a single individual mind you, didn't have the intellectual heft to beat him and knock him out of the ring. Or is that too simplistic?

With Paul, first he was a relentless persecutor then a convert who literally changed the entire world. Such awesome power through simply thought, writing, preaching and physically taking countless steps and steps and steps. He, in essence, sacrificed his life for another world that he saw. A world, which we see in our modern era, existing to some as a sham and as vacuous as the invisible air around us. Where he saw something, some see 'nothing'. I have the feeling and that is a personal view that in our modern age (post-modern?) Paul's 'message' exposes the tenuous understanding we have on faith, doubt, trust, truth and prevarication. Now of course some have turned away but yet others believe the 'message' say in the Christian faith. There apparently does seem to be a heightened battle between the ideas we are discussing. At this point, I think we can do no less than trying to understand why and where this will lead us in humanity's journey into the unknown.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:48 AM

I agree there is a movement both ways. And this may not be a bad thing.

As for Paul..maybe another thread.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:38 PM

As for Paul..maybe another thread.

Yes I know. Paulie's the guy I think that causes all the trouble with most, right???????.....;-)...

And

Matt:
As I mentioned in the NJ license plate thread...Straw Dogs by John Gray. That is my favorite book by any author. Quite unlikely ever to be supplanted (until I read something in a couple years, I'm sure)...but that's because I respect a pessimistic worldview (which is rare to find from anyone)

You got me curious on 'Straw Dogs' now. Looks like a pretty powerful book. I have the film. Would like to study Gray's work closer.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:20 PM

7,106 posts, read 9,339,065 times
I'm surprised I'm not spotting Hitchens's God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything.

I always recommend the scripture of the non-prophet, irreligious disorganization I love best: Principia Discordia by Malaclypse the Younger and O.K. Ravenhurst. It's a riot and really gets you thinking about people's assumptions about religion.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I'm surprised I'm not spotting Hitchens's God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything.
Oh boy I wish I could be a fly on the wall wherever he may be right now.
Things we'd like to see right now: Hitchens expounding on whether there is or there is not a God. He can write a good essay on what the story is.

And just curious....is there a book in the modern era that sort of served as the catalyst for the publishing zeitgeist that we are seeing in books on the atheistic persuasion??

Old 09-05-2013, 08:38 PM

3,404 posts, read 2,248,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Oh boy I wish I could be a fly on the wall wherever he may be right now.
Things we'd like to see right now: Hitchens expounding on whether there is or there is not a God. He can write a good essay on what the story is.

And just curious....is there a book in the modern era that sort of served as the catalyst for the publishing zeitgeist that we are seeing in books on the atheistic persuasion??
Wikipedia gives a good list of some of the most influential books in the "New Atheist" paradigm. Some I have read, others I missed but here are a few in addition to the aforementioned Hitchens' book:

Letter to a Christian Nation -Sam Harris
The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
Godless: How an Evangelical Preacher Became One of America's Leading Atheists - Dan Barker

To be honest, though I think that dibelief, be it agnosticism or atheism, has a much deeper and richer tradition than just the last decade. I think reading things by Ingersoll, Paine, and other freethinkers from other eras can be very enlightening, and offers a slightly different perspective than the very empirical, evidential approach of "New Atheism".

-NoCapo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism