Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 01:16 AM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
Great post, JWs are a cult, and I was raised in it and stayed for 31 years. I left in 95 when they changed one of the central beliefs again. Its had nothing but false dates for the end and history of BS from Aluminum being the devils metal to vaccines being horse puss. Once they get a hook in you they will twist it every which way to keep people in line. the use family networks to do the dirty work for them. I know of many people who stay in just so as not to lose family. My grandfather died not talking to his four grandchildren because we left the cult. He knew it was BS and told me so but said it was a good way of life, This from a man who was a special Pioneer and Circuit overseer for many years, and worked at Bethel, the slave quarters in Brooklyn where people work for free. All I can say is stay away from any and all JWs, they are charged with converting or cutting people in their relationships. Once in they get you all cozy with a network of friends then threaten you if you do anything not approved by the cult, from what kind of sex you and your spouse can have to smoking, drinking, friends outside the cult, watching R movies, working in anything that has to do with the blood industry, military, gambling, and many other things like going to a church just to see what its like is to them worse then pedophiles, They protect pedophiles by saying you must not go to the police but go to the dumb ass elders, then if there are not two witnesses to the crime you can do nothing or if you do you get dissfellowshipped and perv is AOK with the cult. Its a crap cult and you are so much better off letting your friend go if that is what she wants to do. JWs have a very high rate of suicide. Go figure.
Any group that required you to cut ties with anyone outside of that group, this stat will be a feature.
All you can do is avoid this group, but they will do that for you if you are not a member anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 02:29 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
I'd try to maintain light contact with her, let her know the door is always open. I think her actions could be driven by severe depression, and if she knows you'd welcome her back with open arms, she might be able to pull out of the JW sphere again. People often reach out to these more extreme religions in times of mental distress, and given that she was raised in it, the whole JW thing is likely very comforting. If she pulls out of the depression though, she might be looking for another exit plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism