Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 04:16 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,036,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
What do you believe that will happen after your life ends?
What was the meaning of your life, what did you live for?

Respect!
I believe that life does just that, end.

As for the meaning if my life... well that is one of those journeys that we spend a lifetime trying to answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 01:34 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,371,537 times
Quote:
The same thing that happens in all the places I am currently not in. Life will go on without me.

Quote:
Meaning is something we give our own lives, it is not something that life has in and of itself. We define ourselves by our goals and those around us.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:08 AM

859 posts, read 705,230 times
Is it allowed me to participate here? I'm afraid because people usually become sensitive with any thing related with that side.
Just I'd like to add something noticed.

At the beginning, I don't know what does " Agnostics" mean but, I understand what " Atheists " means.
In fact, I don't think that there are people really don't believe of God but, even if they said like these expressions :"we don't believe, there is no God for all the world, and the life with no meaning.

I see, this is not accurate. but they don't reflect.
I don't think there is NO ONE of us once have never wondered "why I'm here?, For what?, when was there life? .....etc many questions we had asked ourselves, and that is normal because, human is the only one creature who has mind.
And, who created us and created our mind ? God !
that's why we are thinking of these things. God wanted us to think that the life is not without reason or as some say :It's just a coincidence.

I guess, Inside themselves they believe or rather,let's say, they have something of belief.

The simplest example that clarifies what I went to is:
The atheist person said : there is no God
but, when he get in a big trouble. or exposure for a terrible danger. You will see him without Involuntary says : Oh my God !!
His heart will return to his creator 'God' for help.

This is something of belief !!
Isn't it?

Don't be annoyed if I said :
God bless you.

Thanks

Last edited by Authentic Bird; 06-01-2011 at 07:16 AM..

Old 06-01-2011, 09:10 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,036,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic Bird View Post
The simplest example that clarifies what I went to is:
The atheist person said : there is no God
but, when he get in a big trouble. or exposure for a terrible danger. You will see him without Involuntary says Oh my God !!
His heart will return to his creator 'God' for help.

Isn't it?
Having come very close to death, scared beyond ****less, and having experienced great tragedy and sorrow.... sorry but NO. Not once since a 9th grade math test have I called out to god consciously or otherwise.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:10 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
Authentic Bird: Proselytizing is not allowed here. You can post here, but be careful about saying things like, "And who created us and created our mind? God!"

Most atheists don't say "there is no God". Rather, they say "I don't believe in God". There is a difference.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:48 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,206,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic Bird View Post

Isn't it?

No, this is nothing but a language issue. That phrase, these days, is used to express some sort of shock. If the phrase was "I have cheese in my toes!" then that's what we (as in everyone regardless of religious belief) would say.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Having come very close to death, scared beyond ****less, and having experienced great tragedy and sorrow.... sorry but NO. Not once since a 9th grade math test have I called out to god consciously or otherwise.
Sorry, I have to ask u about the red sentence just to be sure about what you meant.
Do you mean that you have tried these things but,though, you've never called out to God consciously?

Thanks

Old 06-02-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Authentic Bird: Proselytizing is not allowed here. You can post here, but be careful about saying things like, "And who created us and created our mind? God!"
At the beginning, I was wondering that why did you consider that sentence of my post Proselytizing ?
I wrote my belief like others wrote their beliefs ,opinions, views, thoughts...etc.

My belief said:God created me and you and all the world ? God created our brain to think. Even if you disagree with me. It still my belief like you have your belief that disagree with me.What important thing is to still respect each other.
There is no personal attack to tell me:be careful about my opinion!

If you consider my belief is Proselytizing. what do you mean ?
Do you mean that all of these forums are just for members to read and write their opinions,thoughts... etc but without asking or replies or debating with each other.
what's the useful of speaking alone, how can we understand others thoughts, opinions.cultures. How can we exchange thoughts and opinions.
How can I understand people who disagree with my opinion ?
Also, There is an important point I need to say : IF YOU ARE REALLY CONVINCED OF WHAT YOU BELIEVE. THERE IS is NO POWER IN THIS WORLD CAN AFFECT you or Proselytize you. So, don't worry.

Though, If you still consider my post is incompatible with the forum.
There is red ICON called " REPORT POST" in each member post. You can use it and If the Admin see that my post incompatible with this forum.
They can edit my post and I don't need to participate here.
Quote:

Most atheists don't say "there is no God". Rather, they say "I don't believe in God". There is a difference
Look carefully at what you stated.
If you said most atheists don't say "there is no God".
that means they say : "There is God"
If they say: There is God " That means:they believe in God !

So, at the end, we all agree that there is God and we believe in God!
isn't it ?

Thanks

Last edited by Authentic Bird; 06-02-2011 at 04:16 PM..

Old 06-02-2011, 04:09 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,913,530 times
Quote:

Respect!
1: My constituent parts will chemically degrade, and I will become indistinguishable from the "ether" (I'm being cremated...)

2: It was to enjoy the fact and belief that I was lucky enough to have self-awareness, and was to be allowed the full authority to explore all the possible options as to how and why I got here in the first place. Certainly it was not to mindlessly follow the irrational biddings and directives of some ancient mythical text, which was itself based entirely on fear and power-mongering.

BTW, I do not see any necessity for there to be some "absolute" reason for myself, or mankind in general, to be here. Or to do good, or do bad or, frankly, to do anything at all. To, for or in aid of anyone else. That is entirely a construct of human ego and irrationality.

That having been said, I continue to lead a highly ethical life, somehow absent religion, and I do not judge the lives of others as being any more, or less, ethical than my own, simply because they might claim some higher calling or authority via some mythical God.

In other words, God is completely unnecessary, IMHO. Unless, of course, you are of the psychological makeup that you require some form of strict "adult supervisionary input" throughout your entire adult life.

You know: "Think this, do that, answer like so, act like those other devout people on their knees over there!" etc etc. All quite unnecessary for a full, complete and highly satisfactory, ethical life.

Cheers, and peace be with you!

Old 06-02-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivalis View Post
No, this is nothing but a language issue. That phrase, these days, is used to express some sort of shock. If the phrase was "I have cheese in my toes!" then that's what we (as in everyone regardless of religious belief) would say.
Well ,Let's say it just a language issue.
But, would you say too that the atheist person really have never felt that there is God when he get in a strong trouble ?

OR rather tell me about yourself IF you are atheist? because it's better than using generalization. because, maybe atheists others disagree.

Thank u.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism