U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 05:42 PM

4,958 posts, read 10,583,039 times

Advertisements

Interesting article:

Top Conversation Killers for Atheists: How Religious Theists Can Hurt Their Cause
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 06:24 PM

40,886 posts, read 18,557,746 times
That deprives them of pretty much their entire repertoire. May as well say "Don't talk, just listen and learn."

All those things on the list have been written and directed to the believers on this forum, numerous times, I know, I've written many of them. It hasn't done a bit of good as far as I can tell and collecting them into one convenient condescending package isn't likely to produce better results. It is throwing the basic rules of logic in their faces and if they were the sorts to employ basic logic they probably wouldn't be here lobbying for their theist theories.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:25 PM

39,035 posts, read 10,825,389 times
Thanks anyway. While the one about 'really being agnostic' is likely to start a discussion - from me anyway, - what stops the conversation in short order is when the explanation is rejected on the 'I understand atheism better than atheists do' line.

Not to mention trying on reversal of burden of proof using various means. Top ten favourites?

(1) God exists until you prove that he doesn't.

(2) God obviously exists - if not, who made everything, then?'

(3) that is only human logic.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:48 PM

40,886 posts, read 18,557,746 times
They are all annoying but my least favorite is when questioned about the validity of the Bible, they prove it by quoting from it.

Its real because its real because its real because....

It might not be a bad idea to have that list around as a sticky. Then whenever we are confronted by one of the primary errors, instead of having to explain why all over again, we may simply link the list with a notation..."See # 3 or See # 6" as needed.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:53 AM

5,563 posts, read 6,317,939 times
The main issue IMO with internet discussions from a theist's perspective is validation. If you are versed in theology it adds to the conversation (sometimes) The majority of theists would probably not be in these discussions and for the most part live their lives devoid of fundamental outlooks.

Americans seem to differ slightly as even though we tend to have the same percentages of self ID believers, we really do not see this level of debate here in SA if at all. Then again, we are and have been for the most part relatively secular as far as politics go. In the US these lines are very blurred.

It would have been interesting to have had the internet 40 years back and to see how ideas may have changed over time.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:04 AM

Indeed the Internet has enabled al kinds of discussion, sound and waffy. While an awful lot of crud is peddled, it doesn't go unchallenged and I do believe in the end the better arguments will gain currency. In the long run, the internet is our ally. Without providing all your brains for me to pick, I couldn't do this stuff.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:05 AM

14,191 posts, read 9,079,084 times
I think the referenced article will be beneficial to the thoughtful theists who really are not threatened by, and really want to understand unbelief. All four of them.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I think the referenced article will be beneficial to the thoughtful theists who really are not threatened by, and really want to understand unbelief. All four of them.
That many?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism