U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2013, 05:18 PM

51 posts, read 307,204 times

Advertisements

I'm an open black Atheist living in Atlanta and only know of maybe 2 other open atheists here. Just wondering if there are any more living here I'd love to meet up and get to know you and have some discussions. It's really hard to find open minded people here because this is the buy-bull belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 06:57 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,085,887 times
My sympathies. At least you're in Atlanta and not Plains or something. But ... Bible Belt atheist and black to boot, that's a hard row to hoe. If you have any ability to do so I'd move to a more welcoming place. From my admittedly limited experience so far, Berkeley CA, Seattle WA and Ithaca NY are the gold standards, I'm sure there are many others. Northern east coast in general should be better than any place from NC on south, so long as you avoid rural areas.

You sound fairly young and unencumbered -- just putting down roots in more fertile soil is something to think about at least.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:16 PM

541 posts, read 976,990 times
Have you tried meet-up? I'm in one of the most conservative counties in GA, Fayette, Peachtree City, and I belong to 3 humanist/Freethought/ local groups who get together way more than I am able to! Book clubs, cocktails, volunteering, you name it, they do it! Maybe once I get the rug rat out of house I can attend more functions.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:15 PM

408 posts, read 322,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will307 View Post
I'm an open black Atheist living in Atlanta and only know of maybe 2 other open atheists here. Just wondering if there are any more living here I'd love to meet up and get to know you and have some discussions. It's really hard to find open minded people here because this is the buy-bull belt.
atlantafreethought dot org.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:03 PM

4,999 posts, read 3,884,479 times
Black Nonbelievers, Inc. | Walking by Sight, NOT Faith!

I'm also a black atheist. Atlanta has one of the most active black atheist groups in the country, Black Non-Believers Inc. (not to be confused with the racist Black Atheist of Atlanta) lead by Mandisa Thomas. They have events going on all the time. Black Nonbelievers has a great group on facebook with about 800 members.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:42 AM

12,030 posts, read 16,771,078 times
I grew up in Forsyth County as an agnostic Jew in a liberal, tree hugging family. There's a reason I haven't so much as gone back home in more than 3 years. :P

Atlanta itself does have some more progressive groups. I spent a brief time living in Decatur after college and there were tons of atheist/agnostic, progressive, and Jewish meetups. Drinking Liberally is a great group - while not atheist in nature, it's a good bet that most of the people you meet there are less religious and accepting of lack of belief than the average person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or