U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 11:18 PM

590 posts, read 664,907 times

Advertisements

"If not God, then what else holds the earth up"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 08:43 PM

51 posts, read 307,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
"If not God, then what else holds the earth up"
Pure stupidity at its finest.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:46 PM

10,586 posts, read 10,789,504 times
The most absurd assertions are bible based notions of a God...the best and most sensible arguments are those that are intellectually based...Where logic not the old play book reveal that there is an eternal force and source ....It is much like Christianity that was never meant to be a corporate religion but a state of mind..religion has given God a bad name plus has clouded the issue of God's existence.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:46 PM

51 posts, read 307,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
Because I FEEL him (Kind of creepy and gross like God is groping people on the subway ick)
Because he's INSIDE me (ditto above, kind of gross, gag)
Becuase he talks to me in my head (I'm afraid, very afraid, nod while backing away slowly)
The bible said so (They've turned their brains off and are happy this way, very low functioning, again nod and back away slowly)
If it weren't for God and hell I'd Kill/Rape/Beat so and so (Run away fast, very fast, barricade door)
God is the only reason I love you (cry, get therapy, realize they are jacked up and back away slowly).

Because I feel him and because the bible says so are probably the most common ones.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:12 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,604,641 times
"Jesus died for YOUR sins!!" lol my personal favorite, my ancestors in Ancient China would be puzzled by this too considering they would have never heard of the guy much less even have a clue what was happening in that part of the world.

Or

"I FEEL Gods power flowing through me!" or a variation of that one.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:19 AM

741 posts, read 1,069,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
"I FEEL Gods power flowing through me!"
Step awaaaaaay from the Red Bull.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:23 PM

2,438 posts, read 4,231,584 times
A co-worker told me about this one. He didn't actually believe this, although he was a Christian; he just read about it and thought it was interesting.

"God is defined as a being who possesses all of the good, positive attributes. Existence is a positive attribute, therefore God exists."

Old 09-21-2013, 04:07 PM

6,894 posts, read 6,217,162 times
The "absolute proof" that Jesus rose from the dead.

The "proof" is that all these people saw him............

and that Paul got his head chopped off.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:37 PM

328 posts, read 407,580 times
My husband insists that god is real, because supposedly, god saved him from drowning as a kid. There was actually a lifeguard that pulled him out, so I assume the lifeguard was a proxy of god that day. He also claims that god saved him from an ambush in Iraq. Again, skill was involved from others involved in the ordeal. I just breathe deeply and remember that I have to live with this man, and he doesn't really act all religious-y, so I must tolerate this illogical BS. he won't give me a concrete answer as to why he believes, and when we have lighthearted discussions, he always ends up getting heated when I present my argument and ask him to present his. He really doesn't have an argument as to why he believes. He just 'does' because it was beat into him as a kid. Sad, but it's his right.

It does bother me that he won't think about this more.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:53 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,104,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomed_Shroom12 View Post
My husband insists that god is real, because supposedly, god saved him from drowning as a kid. There was actually a lifeguard that pulled him out, so I assume the lifeguard was a proxy of god that day. He also claims that god saved him from an ambush in Iraq. Again, skill was involved from others involved in the ordeal. I just breathe deeply and remember that I have to live with this man, and he doesn't really act all religious-y, so I must tolerate this illogical BS. he won't give me a concrete answer as to why he believes, and when we have lighthearted discussions, he always ends up getting heated when I present my argument and ask him to present his. He really doesn't have an argument as to why he believes. He just 'does' because it was beat into him as a kid. Sad, but it's his right.

It does bother me that he won't think about this more.
I made the mistake of being married to a Seventh day Adventist. When we were dating and during the first year of marriage she was not practicing. However after the first year she got back into what was her faith for many years hook line and sinker.

I can empathize with your situation. I could no longer take the inane babbling and when she said that she was ordained to take a course in exorcism that was pretty much the last straw.

All her friends were just is brainwashed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism