U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 06:20 PM

51 posts, read 307,164 times

Advertisements

I was just thinking back on past discussions I've had with people about god and religion, one of the silliest arguments I've heard for the existence of gawd was....the sun LoL. I was talking to a family member because she asked what made me stop believing in god and I told her, lack of sufficient evidence. She told me "It ain't been a day that sun aint' came up, that ain't nuttin but gawd." I wanted to just burst out and laugh but I just kept calm and told her the sun doesn't come up in Alaska for like 30 days (well they only get like an hour of sunlight for 30 days or something like that) and the sun can give you sunburns and skin cancer and she got kind of stuck. Another one was me and my cousin were having a discussion and she was trying to prove to me that the christian god exists and her proof was that her phone bill was due but she didn't have the money to pay for it and it got disconnected but somehow the next day it mysteriously got reconnected so therefore "gawd did it." I actually chuckled at this one because I knew she I was gonna shut her up. I said so god paid your phone bill for you but he lets little kids die from cancer and starve to death? She didn't have a damn thing to say then. So what's the silliest "arguments" you've heard for god?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 06:27 PM

12,146 posts, read 9,881,349 times
The bible says so.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:52 PM

40,913 posts, read 18,566,118 times
"X=bar of soap, therefore there is a God."

Of course that was presented to me at a half way house by recently discharged state mental patient.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:39 PM

17,238 posts, read 19,541,004 times
"I know God exists because of this strong feeling I get inside of me."

Old 09-14-2013, 05:15 AM

2,464 posts, read 5,822,477 times
"Because I FEEL Him."

And they'll say it as if that's the ultimate, smack-you-in-the-face-answer "POW! I FEEL Him! Take that Atheist! I win!"

Oooookay.

Last edited by mommabear2; 09-14-2013 at 05:27 AM..

Old 09-14-2013, 06:40 AM

14,195 posts, read 9,082,614 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned

At any rate ... there are a lot of awesome things in nature and even the unluckiest of existences have little serendipities if only one is willing to see them. I understand the value of living in the present moment and enjoying these things and I can forgive people for thinking they are somehow more than good fortune. Although cyclic things like the sun coming up every day are certainly a stretch, despite that I appreciate it happening so that we can have some illusion of stability in our lives.

Most of the mundane facts of our everyday existence are burdened by our innate tendency to weave meaning out of patterns that happen to be there, and infer agency that doesn't actually exist. It takes self awareness combined with a good education and a good sense of curiosity to overcome this and see things more as they really are. And even then, some people prefer not to do that.

I don't really have a problem with folk who just want a prefabricated explanation for things that is pleasing to them and works well enough to get them through life without them having to go to the trouble of considering it for themselves. What I have a problem with is pastors and denominational leaders who do not seek to lead such people towards better abstractions they can live by honestly, and who do not give people the tools to live more intelligently and with childlike curiosity and openness. And I have no patience for anyone who comes to forums like this making pretenses to considered opinions when all they have is a mashup of confused borrowed ideas bonking around inside their skulls.

It's telling to me that 90% of the points I make with theists here and elsewhere go unanswered, 9% are responded to with non-sequiturs and strawmen, and (charitably) 1% are actually valid points backed by actual evidence -- though that tiny fraction still never addresses the hard philosophical questions.

Last edited by june 7th; 09-14-2013 at 07:49 AM..

Old 09-14-2013, 07:11 AM

4,348 posts, read 2,975,717 times
"If you don't play the lottery, you'll never win."

Old 09-14-2013, 08:44 AM

39,050 posts, read 10,831,421 times
I think the one that apparently has Philosophical credibility - the ontological argument that, if we can imagine a god, it must exist.

Proof positive to the scoffers that the FSM realy does exist...ooops, it is the Faithful who are called The Scoffers... a slip like that can lose one the Entry through the Chromium Turnstile to the everlasting Trattoria and cause His Noodleness to turn His Sauce from thee, and number thee not amongst his Holy Parmesans..

Old 09-14-2013, 09:07 AM

350 posts, read 600,393 times
"Look around. Somebody had to create all this. It just couldn't have happened by itself."

Old 09-14-2013, 09:07 AM

155 posts, read 126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will307 View Post
I was just thinking back on past discussions I've had with people about god and religion, one of the silliest arguments I've heard for the existence of gawd was....the sun LoL. I was talking to a family member because she asked what made me stop believing in god and I told her, lack of sufficient evidence. She told me "It ain't been a day that sun aint' came up, that ain't nuttin but gawd." I wanted to just burst out and laugh but I just kept calm and told her the sun doesn't come up in Alaska for like 30 days (well they only get like an hour of sunlight for 30 days or something like that) and the sun can give you sunburns and skin cancer and she got kind of stuck. Another one was me and my cousin were having a discussion and she was trying to prove to me that the christian god exists and her proof was that her phone bill was due but she didn't have the money to pay for it and it got disconnected but somehow the next day it mysteriously got reconnected so therefore "gawd did it." I actually chuckled at this one because I knew she I was gonna shut her up. I said so god paid your phone bill for you but he lets little kids die from cancer and starve to death? She didn't have a damn thing to say then. So what's the silliest "arguments" you've heard for god?
Bame because. Is that alright
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism