U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 08:56 AM

8,398 posts, read 9,898,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
Because the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster told me so and I was touched by His Noodly Appendage. I do not question His Noodliness.

Pasta Be Upon Your Plate.

RAmen
I toooooo was visited by the FSM. It was so powerful that I dropped to my knees and never looked back. If you havent experienced this yet you can't really call yourself a true atheist. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
My parents are atheists and never talked about religion when I was growing up. Wasn't really exposed to how crazy religious people are until adulthood.
And, there's this.
When you aren't brainwashed early, religion is odd. I was raised in a household where it was ok to say "I don't know" when it came to the explanation of existence.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:16 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,380,837 times
Cool Some well presented and inarguable points....

Key points from mordant, best repeated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

√ ...at some point, any value proposition, regardless of the source, has to be delivered upon. It's just a question of how much of a long view you're willing to take about it, I suppose.

√ For any random Christian in any random life experience, the only way to "guarantee" the promises of god is to take such a long view that

it requires you to accept delivery of this value package in another life.

√ Your average fundie frantically projects an image of joy and happiness to the outside word, because the church is the only army that shoots its own wounded.

Vulnerability, uncertainty, doubt, or depression are signs that you aren't genuine. "Real Christians" don't have such struggles.

Only after you join up do you find....:

that god gets 100% of the credit for anything remotely positive that happens and [but]:

anything that goes wrong is all your fault somehow.
Say now... wait just a durned minute here! Why do Christians get all the easy-out opinions?

I fully understand that particularly screwy perspective, since Christianity doesn't REALLY have any rational answers.

Actually, Christianity (or any frantically devout spiritual and evangelical diatribes, for that matter...) has NOTHING!

Old 10-01-2013, 09:56 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,094,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
... for the most part I knew life wasn't going to always be 'well' even if one followed the precept in the former. I think it was because I was born in NYC. Realism about life, love and religion comes to one early I think if you were raised in the city...;-)...
Yes, I was born & bred in the midwest and the mindset is very different there. The intersection of midwestern reserve and conservatism with Bible Belt theology is pretty toxic to whatever ability one might have to engage life on its own terms. (I lived just on the edge of the Bible Belt so maybe the mix is even kind of unique to that region).

I only live a few hours outside of NYC now and so maybe I am moving closer to reality-land.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:09 PM

3 posts, read 1,722 times
The scientific method. I am a physicist.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will307 View Post
The atheist experience show on Youtube turned me super atheist in the blink of an eye, also reading the bible and learning more about science and other religions helped too. What did it for you?
Yay for youtube - allowing people to get in touch with great minds, to share ideas, exchange thought. I agree with Bill Nye, (mr. hottie as I call him) in a few decades "cave freedom" will take place and we can begin to move forward at lightning speed.

Bill Nye: Creationism Is Not Appropriate For Children - YouTube

Boy did he get flack for this :
Bill Nye : Science & Creationism - YouTube

But, I'm glad to see people waking up - I believe it will happen more and more in the future as our IQ's climb higher and we see more than fear and domination as our purpose here on this planet.

James Flynn: Why our IQ levels are higher than our grandparents' | Video on TED.com
Love this guy I always welcome the new "habits of mind"

After listening to James Flynn you'll understand why basing your life on a book written long long ago could be a lost cause if not just harmful practice. I get tradition, I even get into it on occasion, but basing your life on it seems silly knowing what we know now. IMO, of course.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 691 times
Stories like this made me atheist (http://www.creepyhealth.com/2013/06/...-old-baby.html)
Burning innocent baby for what? Still can't believe that people actually believe in this kind of cult-leader, who clearly do nothing than a brainwash to them.

Last edited by Saso1987; 10-04-2013 at 08:30 AM..

Old 10-04-2013, 04:28 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,117,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I believe it will happen more and more in the future as our IQ's climb higher
Actually, the humans in the future will be greatly inferior to the humans alive today, for two reasons.

1) The stupid people are the ones having a lot of kids and they are passing on their stupid genes.

2) We are using our technology to let people like me with birth defects have children. We are passing on these defects to our offspring.

Does any Atheist disagree with me?

Old 10-05-2013, 07:36 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,094,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Actually, the humans in the future will be greatly inferior to the humans alive today, for two reasons.

1) The stupid people are the ones having a lot of kids and they are passing on their stupid genes.

2) We are using our technology to let people like me with birth defects have children. We are passing on these defects to our offspring.

Does any Atheist disagree with me?
1) I'm not aware of any empirical evidence that stupid people are outbreeding smart people and even if they were, it'd be a self-limiting problem because of survival of the fittest.

2) There is some merit to this, although, again it's a self limiting problem unless technology stays ahead of the needs of the disabled. And if it does, and people choose to live with the compromises, what is the problem?

Old 10-05-2013, 07:37 AM

5,563 posts, read 6,324,168 times
What I posted on my FB page awhile back in Jan this year. (Since then my wife has passed on sadly)

So I am an Atheist or more precisely an ex Christian.

Usually I keep this to myself as it really has nothing to do with anyone else, but this is merely one good trait of mine.

Lessee what good or bad morals I exhibit.

I smoke which is probably bad for me but there are no laws pertaining to the inhalation of bad substances in the bible so I guess that is just me and a bad habit.

I imbibe liquor on occasion and usually when inebriated fall asleep and never get aggressive, no demons in my bottles.

My wife and I have been together 29 years this Feb of which 27 legally, the other 2 shacking up. Prior to meeting my wife, I had relations in the biblical sense with approx 30 partners. When I decided to settle, my wild oats had been sown. She is aware of this and was before we hooked up.

I have never cheated on her, neglected her, hit her (well some playful spanking but that does not count) and there were times when it was offered up on a silver platter.

I paid my taxes. I paid my speeding fines. I never killed anyone although there were times... emotions had I followed through I could have. I have never been jealous of others. I never desired my neighbour's ass (or in modern terms a BMW or Merc, I have my own Merc) although some asses you just cannot help looking at I have never stolen anything barring change from my mother's purse to buy cigarettes as a kid. I have paid for a friends wife's emergency hysterectomy when he was unemployed and had no medical, I have financially supported folk less fortunate and have given clothing, beds and food to the same when I was well off. All my good charitable deeds were driven by the built in empathy I have and not trying to please some invisible undetectable deity.

As a theist I was conned out of ~300k little of which went to charity (less than 2%) under the guise of the doors of heaven will be opened and I would reap perhaps ten fold, right now I could really use 3M but had I instead followed secular reasoning, I would have a ROI that was substantial and real had I invested in property or simply made real fond memories with my family and spoiled them rotten with awesome vacations; alas hindsight is always 20/20 vision.

All my successes and failures are 100% directly attributable to my own efforts or lack thereof. Upon examining my faith and it origins, finding the pagan roots etc. I soon came to realise that this god I was taught about growing up could only perform within the constraints of my own abilities or circumstances and thus was a figment of my own imagination.

When I ditched this concept, life became simpler, more logical and the answer to to the purpose of life is 42 (courtesy Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy) and makes as much sense as the 30000 or so variants of the faith purveyed to be the truth. No two people have the same concept of god thus it stands to reason, god is only real in the minds of the believer(s) as it was with me.

Where amazing grace once held significance to me, now I relate more to the late Frank Sinatra song of

I did it my way

And now, the end is near;
And so I face the final curtain.
My friend, I'll say it clear,
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain.

I've lived a life that's full.
I've traveled each and ev'ry highway;
But more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I've had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

I planned each charted course;
Each careful step along the byway,
But more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew.
But through it all, when there was doubt,
I ate it up and spit it out.
I faced it all and I stood tall;
And did it my way.

I've loved, I've laughed and cried.
I've had my fill; my share of losing.
And now, as tears subside,
I find it all so amusing.

To think I did all that;
And may I say - not in a shy way,
"No, oh no not me,
I did it my way".

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught.
To say the things he truly feels;
And not the words of one who kneels.
The record shows I took the blows -
And did it my way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or