U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 09:16 AM

741 posts, read 1,068,722 times

Advertisements

I was always an athiest, I never came to believe in Jesus or anything like that no matter how many Sunday Schools and Vacation Bible Schools my parents tried in desperation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 10:33 AM

35,296 posts, read 19,328,829 times
Default What made you become an atheist?

The middle eastern myths passed off as real by the Christian church I was forced to attend as a youth.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:01 AM

51 posts, read 307,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
It started when I was a senior in high school. I actually went in Christian, and came out agnostic. An English teacher started teaching in a way that I was less familiar with: he taught us how to think. Most lit classes were just 'read this, tell me what it's about' but this guy made it into a 'read this, tell me the underlying philosophical message.' Rather than just reading and following a plot, it was more thinking about what I read, which turns out helps a lot.

So, I started questioning things. I looked into other religions (including ancient ones, like Greek Mythology). I started asking things like 'why does there need to be a god?' or 'how do I know this is the right god?' Naturally, I turned to the Bible expecting to fully see why the Bible is truer than the other books. Didn't quite work out that way. I didn't like nearly any of what I read; the New Testament had some nice bits. It in the end didn't make sense to me, so I chose to now follow it. Still like Jesus and I firmly believe all religion has some value to teach, you just need to know what that value is and how to teach it constructively.

I asked myself questions as well and thought about the same things you did. 'Why does there need to be a god?' 'How does god exist?' 'What is his nature?' 'If god is omniscient why did he get mad at Adam and Eve when they sinned? Didn't he know it would happen before they did it?' I had a slew of other questions. I went to a church and showed a pastor my list of questions and he tried to answer them but he gave me some bull**** answers. I just used simple logic and realized it was all crap. And like you I also believe that all religions have a message for us but we're not receiving it because of how people are being taught by the priests and preachers. I think that most of these holy books contain metaphors and we need to understand what is metaphorical and what isn't. I don't think that these books just popped up for no reason I believe there is a deeper meaning behind all of these religions that we don't know because the churches don't want people to grow up. They want to control us and take our money.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:09 AM

51 posts, read 307,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
For me atheism takes on a racial factor. As I became more aware of my ethnic heritage during my late teens, I also realized that Christianity was something foisted onto my psyche by the WASP normative ethos prevalent throughout America. I eventually realized that I was clinging to a culture that wasn't mine, which made it easy to reject Christianity for the social indoctrination it is.

Right! And the only reason people believe that shi*t is because of slavery. If it wasn't for Europeans sailing over to Africa and enslaving, raping, murdering and torturing our people we never would've even known who the hell Jesus was.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:07 AM

3,534 posts, read 2,452,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will307 View Post
The atheist experience show on Youtube turned me super atheist in the blink of an eye, also reading the bible and learning more about science and other religions helped too. What did it for you?
That's an interesting question considering the long journey I went on slowly shedding the shackles of Christianity but for me I started questioning everything mostly because I had a hard time swallowing the notion of most of humanity frying for eternity in "hell". That led me to Universalism, which then led to agnosticism which is where I still am.

I'd call myself an agnostic atheist, but as we all know it's just easier to say you're an atheist rather than explain to those that really don't care either way what you are, they just want to convert you. I'm very comfortable with where I am now but as a Christian I was constantly in turmoil and worried about my "soul" condition and going to hell.

It's quite amazing to me how I believed that nonsense for so long but when you are raised in it you have no reason to question until you come into your own. I mean it's no different than believing in Santa Claus or the easter bunny so why would a kid question it? Some of us are able to break free and others are too scared because of the hell threat. Better to believe and be wrong than to not believe and go to hell, right? It's about fear and control but if one can ever just venture into other areas like science and philosophy there's a whole universe out there full of other possibilities to investigate.

Imo, everyone should be agnostic until proven otherwise but that's just me.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:38 AM

10,946 posts, read 8,263,546 times
When a child (6 or under) I was taken to church and Sunday school to be indoctrinated.

At about the age of six, I rebelled and refused to attend.

As I grew older, I really never had any belief, theist or atheist but did have some suspicions about religion. After leaving the service I actually took some comparative religion courses in college. These courses confirmed to me that religion was not for me.

I guess that did it for me.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:46 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,094,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
It's quite amazing to me how I believed that nonsense for so long but when you are raised in it you have no reason to question until you come into your own. I mean it's no different than believing in Santa Claus or the easter bunny so why would a kid question it? Some of us are able to break free and others are too scared because of the hell threat.
The difference between Santa and Jesus is that Santa holds sway over Christmas morning and Jesus holds sway over everything. Any kid under about 8 years old figures out empirically that it's their parents and relatives that provide the gifts, and once they are on to it everyone slaps them on the back and confesses that it's all a cute joke and they were having some fun at your expense. That's very different than questioning Jesus, which causes everyone to freeze up and hush you for crazy talk and clearly they continue believing it on into adulthood. Now you are in the position of taking your parents off the god-like pedestal you had them on. You're not up for that at age 8. Maybe 18 or 28, or maybe never, because once you're an adult you've got your own ego investment and image to protect.

I wonder sometimes, hypothetically, if Santa were said to have the power to cast you into some sort of horrific punishment that you'd never escape, and especially if Santa had broader reign over all gift exchanges, birthdays, and the like and people were invested in propping up this myth, if we wouldn't be having conversations about how amazed we are that we ever believed in Santa for 40 years before figuring out it was nonsense. Also I wonder if chimney builders wouldn't be a lot richer ;-)

Old 09-17-2013, 09:09 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,100,337 times
"In hoc signo vinces"
It was the evening of October 27, 312 A.D.The Tevere river flowed under the piers of the Milvian bridge, dividing the camps of the two emperors enemies. In a field Maxentius, big and fierce, passed in review the hosts (the next day they would have to fight the decisive battle) and urged violence and audacity....( he is the bad )
In the other, Constantine ( the good ) sat pensively in front of the tent, and his legionaries, scattered around the camp, preparing arrows and javelins.
Constantine kept his eyes fixed on the sky which became gold alive.
Then the cross symbol appear with letters of flames it was written: "With this sign you will conquer."
When the Cross disappeared, he covered his face with hands and recalled all its childhood spent beside his Christian mother and remembered that almost all his legionaries were secretly Christians.
The holy sign infused so much vigor in fighting drag them from the onslaught of bridge, impulsively reject the armies of Maxentius and overwhelm them in an advanced lightning.
And Constantine, under the sign of the Cross, was the winner......

What a brilliant mind Flavio Valerio Aurelio Costantino, thanks to a great intuition..the cross..the God..the emperator.. he got the way to drive the masses the moltitude of ppl.
The church celebrates 1700 years of an excellent insight, but it does not say that Constantine does not talk about the Bible, in this context, it is reasonable to think that progress does not coincide with the evolution of the individual, perhaps it might be true that opinions are, like faith, created by brilliant minds who live in a parallel reality far away from the masses, if this hypothesis is true that everything is driven by power groups, energy food medicines clothing means of transport and communication, are we all a big flock in the hands of those who dominate the world ???....

Old 09-17-2013, 11:42 AM

5,945 posts, read 4,875,731 times
Default What made you become an atheist?

Quote:
The atheist experience show on Youtube turned me super atheist in the blink of an eye, also reading the bible and learning more about science and other religions helped too. What did it for you?

For me, it was the fundamentally transparent fatal flaw at the heart of the 3 monotheistic faiths, because they all share it.

An all-knowing, all-powerful perfect superbeing creates flawed humans and then hates us for our imperfections, threatening eternal torment unless we try to gain his favor.

Please...

Old 09-17-2013, 12:04 PM

15,168 posts, read 13,450,354 times
Quote:
Right! And the only reason people believe that shi*t is because of slavery. If it wasn't for Europeans sailing over to Africa and enslaving, raping, murdering and torturing our people we never would've even known who the hell Jesus was.
Don't you mean.........

If it wasn't for Europeans sailing over to America and BUYING your people.....from.....your fellow Africans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or