U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2013, 11:38 AM

400 posts, read 1,632,223 times

Advertisements

So this info-graphic on NPR pretty much dispels the whole God/Religion thing and I have to say with its scientific findings about the human brain. As an Atheist, I completely agree that our brains pretty much creates everything that we experience, but I understand why people refuse to accept this and instead put their "faith" in some invisible man in the sky and follow the tenets of a book that was written a long time ago, in another era, that had different rules and has been interpreted over and over again.

I also found this video from a priest who openly admits that religion is about control. Pretty enlightening. I agree that religion is a control business and it bothers me that millions of people have no problem believing and following something that was created by humans to control each other.

Priest admits Religion is used to create fear for Control. - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 12:00 PM

14,197 posts, read 9,089,205 times
I believe that is John Spong ... he does a good job of relating a liberal form of Christianity that does not take itself or its legends too seriously. The question that always follows for me is, why bother? But I understand that some prefer to cling to at least the likelihood of some kind of afterlife and some ineffable and non-parental form of god. I just can't see it as likely and therefore worth that much contemplation. But to each their own. If this was the only form of religion in the world it wouldn't be such a problem and could be pretty much coexisted with. There is much I can respect or at least tolerate about this kind of faith.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:39 PM

41,029 posts, read 18,583,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I believe that is John Spong ... he does a good job of relating a liberal form of Christianity that does not take itself or its legends too seriously. The question that always follows for me is, why bother? But I understand that some prefer to cling to at least the likelihood of some kind of afterlife and some ineffable and non-parental form of god. I just can't see it as likely and therefore worth that much contemplation. But to each their own. If this was the only form of religion in the world it wouldn't be such a problem and could be pretty much coexisted with. There is much I can respect or at least tolerate about this kind of faith.
His candor is certainly preferable to the more typical pretense, but I second the idea of..."why bother?" He seems to be trying to cling to some means of salvaging the structure which produced the doctrine he sees as untrue but somewhat utilitarian. "It points us to God" seems a thin justification for all the baggage which comes with an organized religion. At some point I would think the realization should set in that he doesn't belong in a structure which promotes a doctrine used to control people, even if he isn't using it that way. Right now he is somewhat akin to a Pro-Jew Nazi.

I think he could do just as well in the self help industry, promoting his doctrine of becoming "more complete human beings" whatever that is supposed to mean. It sounds like the sort of buzzology which accompanies all those "How To be Your Own Okay Best Friend" books.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:36 AM

39,162 posts, read 10,865,034 times
It is really quite astonishing that he rejects the central tenet of Christianity - that you can ONLY get to heaven through believing in Christ Jesus (what must be that he was begotten son of God, redeemed our sins by his death and rose again from the dead).

This Bishop Spong comes across as very humanist and only wears the red t -shirt because he does his humanist work through his particular faith - organization.

I take Mordant's point that he may be just trying to reinvent a role for Christianity in a world that no longer believes in in its traditional teachings.

The only point where I differ from him is in his taking the Life of Christ as an inspiration and a guide. I do not find the character, behaviour and saying of the Gospel Jesus particularly admirable or a good role model. And it will not be a surprise that I don't think such a person ever said any of those things. The saying and example of the gospel Jesus is the product of the Christian mindset which is the one the churchman in the video finds controlling, abusive and demanding that we be 'born again' as easily controllable spiritual infants.

If he is going to cherry -pick the bits that are good and ignore the bits he doesn't like (not only cherry -picking, but applying human morality to the Biblical) then I would argue that any other Book, religious or not (which is why I quote from LOR, Star-Trek and Peanuts as often as not) is equally as valid for taking your cues for life as from the Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism