U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 04:14 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,498,191 times

Advertisements

1. Does anyone in your family/friends know you are an atheist/agnostic?

Mostly they know, the topic doesn't come up much

2. Do you celebrate Christian holidays of Christmas and Easter?

Yes

3. Will you baptize your child if your spouse wanted?

I wouldn't feel comfortable with that under most of the scenarios I can picture.

4. Do you consider Jesus as a great person and philosopher?

I think there was a charismatic, messianic rabbi active in Israel around that time period that forms the nucleus of the new testament, but I don't consider Jesus as the character represents in the bible to be non-fictional. Some of the things he argues for seem good, most of them only make sense in the context of an imminent apocalypse so in that respect I don't agree with alot of the extreme ascetic stances he takes since things never went down like that.

5. Why can't you just call yourself for "secular" rather than atheist, agnostic or nonbeliever?

Atheist is more specifically descriptive.

6. How do you feel being surrounded by churches, God mentioned all the time, etc. in your daily life?

I'm not, both where I grew up and where I live now are not like that. I enjoy classical church architecture when I see it and go out of my way to visit cathedrals, but in a given week I'm not going to encounter much christianity per se.

7. Do you wish America was officially an atheist country?

I'm not an American so it's not my business. In my native Quebec, we are having a debate about something similar to this, and I've found my self firmly in the tolerant, secularist camp which believes in full freedom of religious expression for religious people. I don't believe in state coercion or influence in this matter, even if it's on my way of thinking.

8. What if your children or spouse want to believe in God, pray, wear cross, etc.? What will you do?

I wouldn't hide my opinion, but I wouldn't have a problem with it. Love is more important than that, and I wouldn't let it get in the way of our relationship.

9. If you get serious sick / old - will you start believe in God and ask for prayers?

No, I never believed in God and I know that I won't randomly change my worldview after 80 years.

10. Why can't you just believe without questioning/be in doubt about God's existence without going to church, pray, etc.?

Because I think God is a silly notion, it's not even the going to church and praying I have a problem with it's the supernatural notion of God. I happily go to church and sing the songs for wedding and baptisms and funerals, I just can't get behind the God idea.

11. Do you use any religious terms such as "bless you" e.g. when somebody sneeze?

Not that one, I do use Jesus Christ and Oh my God sometimes, but I guess that's kind of profane anyways.

12. Would you rather live/buy a house next to a mosque, synagogue or church if you had to pick/choose?

I have no preference. I guess a synagogue, I grew up with alot of Jews so I might make good friends there and they don't proselytize to gentiles.

13. If you had to pick, would you rather live under Christian or Islamic theocracy?

Christian

14. What do you think about Islam?

Not a big fan of this religion, but I love Muslims and there are many Muslims in my life. I wouldn't touch their rights to self expression such as being able to wear the hijab since I know it's important to them and how they see themselves. But I feel the same way about Christians. Think the religions are hogwash basically, love the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 08:00 AM

559 posts, read 719,269 times
Yes

Christmas is the winter solstice for me; Easter is symbolic of new beginnings/spring; and just because I don't believe in god doesn't mean I can't enjoy the beauty in say, Handel's Messiah.

I will not be having children.

Why should I? Because of the bible? If he existed, which I doubt, those stories can't possibly have survived 2,000 years intact and unaltered. Ever notice the films that depict Jesus never have anybody scribbling away on a piece of stone, yet these authors remembered it verbatim 100 years later? Poppycock!

5. Why can't you just call yourself for "secular" rather than atheist, agnostic or nonbeliever?
As someone else mentioned, I don't think it's the correct vernacular, secular sounds too pretentious to describe a guy like me anyway, but honestly it doesn't matter, whatever works.

6. How do you feel being surrounded by churches, God mentioned all the time, etc. in your daily life?
Some churches are very beautiful buildings; I can care less if people wanna mention god.

Yes, but only because I get so tired of seeing these phony politicians make a big show of attending church every Sunday and screwing everyone over the other 6 days and 23 hours of the week.

8. What if your children or spouse want to believe in God, pray, wear cross, etc.? What will you do?
Nothing; everybody has the right to conjure up spirits if that's what they need to do. Who am I to take that right from them? As long as it's not hurting anyone or adorning the walls of my home, nothing stranger than looking at a cross with a man hanging from it above the bed of my Mom's guest room.

9. If you get serious sick / old - will you start believe in God and ask for prayers?
Please! Prayers for what? Another 5 years of diaper wearing? To go to "heaven"? If prayers truly worked, every person in America would be a lotto millionaire.

10. Why can't you just believe without questioning/be in doubt about God's existence without going to church, pray, etc.?
Why wouldn't something as powerful as a god prove it's existence and end the debate right now?

11. Do you use any religious terms such as "bless you" e.g. when somebody sneeze?
No, and I hate it when someone blesses me so usually I keep my sneezes as quiet as possible.

12. Would you rather live/buy a house next to a mosque, synagogue or church if you had to pick/choose? Heck yeah, it will be quiet most of the time and I don't have to worry about "partying" neighbors.

13. If you had to pick, would you rather live under Christian or Islamic theocracy?
Christian, less extremism.

I have serious problems with any religion that burns teenage boys at the stake for the "crime" of homosexuality.

Last edited by Garethe; 09-29-2013 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: My spellchecker keeps capitalizing god, stop it!

Old 09-30-2013, 03:09 PM

254 posts, read 560,800 times

Yep, all my friends and family are well aware that I am an atheist. Other than the random if I have morals question, no one really cares really?

I celebrate Christmas because it is all about gift giving and fun! I see no reason not to!

Interesting question, but I would say no and leave it for the child to decide when he/she grows up.

No opinion.

Because I am atheist, I do not believe in a god. I am not UNSURE about it, or leaving room to wonder if there is a special deity up there. Simply, there are no deities, it's just us and nature.

I don't care honestly? Everyone can have their own beliefs in whatever they like. So long as they don't push it on me, no big deal.

No, people should have a right to whatever they wish to believe.

It's none of my business what anyone believes in. As for children, I would prefer they reach maturity before they make a decision on their own.

Absolutely not. I have no problems with being wormfood when my life is over.

Because I don't believe in stepping into the void and expecting a supernatural being to somehow cushion my fall into certain death. I like to know what is in front of me is tangible and real.

Yes, because it is a social thing to do.

12. Would you rather live/buy a house next to a mosque, synagogue or church if you had to pick/choose?

Other than possible parking issues, not a problem.

Haha. In the US, where there SHOULD be a division of church and state, that shouldn't be an issue. THEORETICALLY. However, between the two, perhaps Christian.

Just another religion, like the rest of the Judeo-Christian sort. Seriously, they are all worshiping the same god.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:18 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,284,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful Forever View Post
All.

Quote:
I do not celebrate them. I celebrate AT them. There is nothing wrong with having a time to celebrate friends and family and children. And Christmas is as good a time as any to do so. I also celebrate new years eve for the same reason.

Quote:
She does not and I would not.

Quote:
I would not say great. In the archives of Human Moral Philosophy he is at best average. Many of his ideas were espoused by people before him. And they did not have to package their ideas in lies, woo and nonsense in order to sell them.

Quote:
Actually, I do. I rarely, if ever, use any of those other words to describe myself. I use them only when I require a term of convenience in a piece of greater prose. I do however ANSWER to those terms even if I do not use them of myself.

Quote:
The same as I do when I am surrounded in Golf Clubs or hear Golf discussed when I have no interest in it. I do not care all that much. It is when the church or the religion try to impose themselves in our halls of power, education or science... or when people from said Churches try to sell their lies to children or others.... that I get.... uppity.

Quote:
Only at a public level such as in the halls of power, education and science. What people actually believe in the privacy of their own heads has nothing to do with me.

Quote:
I am indifferent to this. It would have to go further before it became an issue.

Quote:
I can only comment on what I believe today. I can not comment on what I may or may not believe in the future. It does seem unlikely however unless of course I get some sickness which infects or affects my mental faculties or brain.

Quote:
I do not understand the question. How can I believe something if there is no evidence, argument, data or reason to do so? I can not "just believe" something. It is not a switch I am capable of just pressing in my brain. For example if I give you an empty box could you just decide to "just believer" that it is full of spoons?

Quote:
I never comment on peoples bodily functions in general. I see no reason why sneezing should be an exception. However clearly religious language permeates the vast majority of the etymology of any language. So I would be truly shocked if I was not using religious language all the time. Even the word "Goodbye" has roots in the phrase "God be with you" while the days of the week themselves all come from historic gods. Thursday is Thors day. Saturday is names for Saturn. And so forth.

Quote:
Not enough data upon which to base a decision. Question too vague. Please restate.

Quote:
Not enough data upon which to base a decision. Question too vague. Please restate.

Quote:
Just another religion. Just as unsubstantiated. And in the general development cycles that religions appear to go through it is a large number of decades behind Christianity. It is however at one of the more potent and dangerous parts of that cycle. And unlike Christianity it has reached that point in it's cycle at a time in human history when weapons and terrorism and technology are much more devastating in the hands of those all too happy to use it.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:00 AM

3,391 posts, read 3,742,872 times
Quote:
I have always wondered these.... Please answer

Yes, everyone knows.

Quote:
Sort of. Easter, not much at all. Christmas is harder to skip because the culture is hyper-saturated with it. And the little kids in the family would feel sad if they got no presents while all of their friends did.
Quote:
Yes. If were important to her or her family, I would.
Quote:
It is almost impossible to know anything about the historical Jesus.
Quote:
I can. I sometimes do. But the other terms are also accurate, so I also use them.
Quote:
Luckily, I live in a place where no one much cares about my religion. But it can feel intrusive to have someone else's superstitions rammed down my throat all the time. I felt that way when I lived in Texas.
Quote:
I am not sure what that would mean. Most of the countries that are "officially" atheists--North Korea, the former USSR--are, in fact, highly religious. They just invented their own religions and called them "atheism."
Quote:
My SO and her children do believe in God. I have no problem with that. We share the same values, so there is no conflict about it.
Quote:
No.
Quote:
I don't understand what this means. I don't believe, and I don't go to church or pray.
Quote:
Sometimes. But that just shows how hypersaturated the culture is with religious terminology. It doesn't mean I believe. I just sometimes say those things out of habit/reflex.
Quote:
I have, at different points in my life, lived within a block of a church, a synagogue and a mosque. It made no difference whatsoever.
Quote:
Both would be equally unaaceptable
Quote:
I grew up in a largely Muslim neighborhood on the far North Side of Chicago. I know lots of Muslims. Their religion is no better or worse than any other. At least no Muslims have ever tried to convert me. Lots of Christians have.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:49 PM

408 posts, read 322,839 times
"1. Does anyone in your family/friends know you are an atheist/agnostic?"

Yes, including most people in my extended family.

"2. Do you celebrate Christian holidays of Christmas and Easter?"

Not as religious holidays, no. However, my employer is closed on Good Friday and Christmas because we adhere to the New York Stock Exchange schedule.

"3. Will you baptize your child if your spouse wanted?"

My wife is also an atheist.

"4. Do you consider Jesus as a great person and philosopher?"

A Jewish friend of mine was once discussing Jesus with a Catholic friend of mine. She asked him what he thought of Jesus, and he replied that "Jesus was a radical rabbi of his time." I think that's probably a very accurate description.

"5. Why can't you just call yourself for "secular" rather than atheist, agnostic or nonbeliever?"

Why should I have to label myself according to what others want? Would you like it if I recommended that you called yourself a 'fable follower' or some other derogatory term? Let people describe themselves in their own terms.

"6. How do you feel being surrounded by churches, God mentioned all the time, etc. in your daily life?"

There are a lot of dress shops and hair salons near my house, too, but since I don't use them, they don't affect me. That said, there are people who do use them, and that's their business, not mine.

"7. Do you wish America was officially an atheist country?"

It depends on what you mean by that, but I'll take a stab at it. I do wish that the US was officially an atheist country in terms of how religious issues and religious groups are handled and addressed. If the US were officially atheist, then IMO no religious group would be able to to assert primacy over any other religious group, and no religious group would be able to co-opt American tradition and history to its own advantage -- all belief systems would be on equal footing. However, I don't consider "officially atheist" to mean 'no churches allowed' or 'lock up anyone who tries to organize a church' or anything like that. I think that people need to be free to conduct their own philosophical and spiritual inquiry, and to find the belief system that works for them. And then, having found it, I think that people need to be free to live their lives by whatever belief system they choose without interference by others. My feelings in this regard are in close congruence with those of many of the Founders.

"8. What if your children or spouse want to believe in God, pray, wear cross, etc.? What will you do?"

Religious belief and practice is an individual right in this country, and that extends to everyone. I certainly wouldn't want to interfere with anyone else's rights in that regard, because I don't want them interfering with mine.

"9. If you get serious sick / old - will you start believe in God and ask for prayers?"

Nope. And I came as close to death as I ever care to about three years ago. so I think I've already been tested on that front.

"10. Why can't you just believe without questioning/be in doubt about God's existence without going to church, pray, etc.?"

Why can't you just believe in Zeus? Why can't you just believe in Ra? Why can't you just believe in Odin?

"11. Do you use any religious terms such as "bless you" e.g. when somebody sneeze?"

No.

"12. Would you rather live/buy a house next to a mosque, synagogue or church if you had to pick/choose?"

I'd rather not live next to any religious edifice, just as I'd rather not live next to a large school or shopping center. But if I *had* to choose, I'd probably choose the mosque, as they have services on Fridays. The synagogue would be a close second, as their services would likely be held on Friday night and/or Saturday morning. My last choice would be the church, since their services are held on Sundays. Why do I care what day services are held on? Because if your services are held when I'm not at home or not running errands, then your traffic won't hassle me.

"13. If you had to pick, would you rather live under Christian or Islamic theocracy?"

I wouldn't. I'd either move elsewhere in the world or build a cabin in the wilderness and fend for myself.

"14. What do you think about Islam?"

From my perspective, it's no different from any other theistic religion.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:06 PM

3 posts, read 1,721 times
Yes, my family and my friends know.

Christmas is a really good holiday and I don't take it as a religious holiday. It is a holiday like Halloween.

3. Will you baptize your child if your spouse wanted
No. I will never marry with a religious or superstitious person.

We can say that he is a great historical figure(if he really existed). But he was not a great philosoher.

I can't keep silent because supertitions and religions clearly do so many harms.
-anti vaccination/modern medicine: victims of this category: mostly kids
-discrimination: victims of this category: Homosexuals, atheists and other religious minority in religious countries;
-gender equality: victims of this category: women
-financial and medical frauds: victims of this category: everyone who is not skeptic
-child abuse
-
-
-
I can give a long list of the harms.

It is very very annoying.

No. That is not the way of democratic and atheistic thinking. But I wish America was a less religious country , like Japan.

I'll talk with them about the reasons of their beliefs and advice them to question their beliefs. Also I'll give them a good psychology textbook and a good book on the scientific method.

No.

Because I think.

Yes. I don't take it as a religious term. It is just a common expression like hello or bye.

I'd rather a house next to a synagogue or church. But I will never choose a house next to a mosque.

Definitely Christian. At least, we can express our beliefs openly.

Islam is the most dangerous religion. Because it is very similar to a cult.

Last edited by uniquark; 10-02-2013 at 08:20 PM..

Old 10-05-2013, 12:32 AM

2,677 posts, read 3,058,152 times
My answers are in blue.

Some know. If they ask, I'll answer. Otherwise, I don't put it out there.

Define celebrate. Are we talking going to midnight mass? Giving something up for Lent? Or are we talking, tree and gifts, bunny, eggs, and chocolate? I do the latter. Funny enough, Christmas is my favorite holiday....but that's because I'm a giver and I love watching people's faces light up when they see my gift. Oh, and I love deviled eggs and chocolate, so yeah, I celebrate Easter. Oh, and I love coloring eggs too.

Nope. My spouse wouldn't be religious anyways.

Who? Is that like Santa Claus? Sorry, I don't believe in fairy tales.

I dunno. Never thought about it. Besides, atheism causes more debates and I like a good debate.

Don't care unless they try to force themselves into my life somehow. So, talk about God, but don't try to convert me. I can live near a church, but don't force me to to go. Don't force me to say "under God" if I don't believe. Things like that.

No. I wish America was what it says it should be.

Well, if my atheist spouse suddenly believed in God, I'd have issues with it, and we'd have to have some serious talks. Yes, I'd divorce someone over it. I don't want children, so that's not an issue that will ever come up.

Nope. Not in the least.

Because there is no God, so why should I believe in something that doesn't exist? Seriously though, I've always questioned everything in my life. Believing w/o questioning, to me, is ignorant.

Yes. Because it's a colloquialism by now. Just like I may say "oh God" during.....nevermind

I've lived near all of the above at one time or another. If they don't bother me, I don't care if I'm next to them.

Well, I'm already kinda living under Christian theocracy, so I'll choose that one.

I don't.

(been fun reading all the responses)

Old 10-06-2013, 08:53 AM

20 posts, read 24,239 times
I have always wondered these.... Please answer

Yep

My family is Jewish, so that would be weird.

I cannot imagine a scenario in which I married a person who would want that. If that did somehow happen, I'd be fine with it - a little water never hurt anybody.

Never met him. Would need some primary evidence and peer reviewed studies to come to a conclusion.

I have no idea why this would be important to you, or anyone. I do not believe in god. Call it whatever you want, it's just semantics.

I live in New York City. Surrounded by churches, synagogues, temples, and mosques; god not so much mentioned. Irrelevant to my daily life.

No. I am deeply enamored of our Constitution, which relevantly contains our first amendment. America officially has no religion, but will not prohibit the free exercise thereof. I would never change this. You do your thing, I'll do mine, the government will be utterly uninvolved. I would prefer this to be more obvious to those who claim America is a Christian nation; I am not sure how you can get more clear and conspicuous than the First Amendment.

Support them in their journey. I would never stand in the way of a loved one following their beliefs.

Nope.

Are you under the impression that atheists don't believe in god because they're too lazy to go to church? Plenty of people believe in god and don't go to church. We are not those people. We can't believe any more than you could not believe. It's not a choice.

Yep.

They are equally irrelevant to me.

There is no substantive difference in the teachings of these two religions. There are many different sects, stripes, and flavors in both Christianity and Islam; I would have an equally abhorrent time living under a fundamentalist theocracy of either, and an equally tolerable time living under a liberal theocracy of either. The differences you perceive are in the actions and behaviors of their followers; correlation does not prove causation. Great evil has been done by followers of each in the name of their beliefs.

Precisely what I think about Judaism and Christianity: an ancient system of belief held by nomads in the desert thousands of years ago, trifurcated into these three major religions which split into innumerable subsequent sects, all of which contain people capable of extraordinary heroism and kindness and cruelty and cowardice. They're all just people, the same as you and me.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:27 AM

5,846 posts, read 3,359,055 times

Yes, but only my mother. This isn't because I intentionally hide my atheism but because I see no reason to pick fights with family members by trumpeting atheism whenever someone mentions God.

I do celebrate Christmas but not Easter. One should remember that Christmas was not a Christian holiday. It was once a pagan holiday celebrating the winter solstace; Christians simply hijacked it to make it easier for pagans to convert. Note that Christmas trees and the majority of Christmas traditions are pagan in origin and have nothing whatsoever to do with the birth of Jesus.

Sure, why not? These rituals mean nothing and allowing my child to be baptized doesn't give any credence to the need for these religious rites.

No. I consider Jesus to be the mouthpiece, the personification of someone else's words. SOME of the things Jesus said are worth listening to. Other things he's said are just plain stupid. No one can even know for sure if the guy even existed.

Because "secular" has a different meaning. Christians can be secular while still believing in God. Secular does NOT mean a lack of belief in God.

Depends on my mood. Some days I don't care but other days I find myself getting sick of it. For instance, thanking God for our food at the dinner table ... I just want to blurt out, "Why don't you thank the farmers, cattlemen, truck drivers, and grocery store employees who are REALLY responsible for your food?" Instead, despite living in the 21st Century, with all of the knowledge at our disposal, too many Americans still have their heads neck deep in superstition, mysticism, and fearing a judgmental and capricious god.

I believe in the freedom to worship regardless of how I feel about worshiping. I sometimes wonder what it would be like if America became predominantly atheistic and I fear that, regardless of the belief system, without a plurality of beliefs, the risk of tyranny is just too great. Just because I might agree with the tenats behind tyranny doesn't mean I would agree with the tyranny itself (i.e. atheistic tyranny).

It would really depend on precisely what they decided to believe in and how they went about practicing their faith. Those who would wear their faith on their sleeves would probably be impossible to live with, especially if they took up evangelism or fundamentalism -- I don't think I could be around that for very long.

That's impossible to answer until the time actually arrives. I would hope to stand strong against religious temptations, but there is always the possibility that my fear of death could override my logical sensibilities. Who can really say?

Because my mind doesn't work that way. Even if I desperately wanted to believe, I couldn't. Not now. Once one realizes just how nonsensical religion actually is, there's no putting the toothpaste back into the tube.

Nope. I don't say anything when someone sneezes. About the only "religious" term I might use is "Oh my god" or "Goddammit."

Probably a church. Not because I'm biased against other religions (they're all nonsense) but I would worry that my house might catch collateral damage if the redneck Christian bigots decided to vandalize or torch the mosque or synagogue.

I would NEVER live under a theocracy. Ever. I would emigrate to a secular nation and try to claim "religious refugee" status. But if I HAD to pick, I would certainly take a Christian theocracy over an Islamic theocracy. Islamic theocracy includes a lot of cultural stupidity such as burkas and not being able to be in the company of non-related adults, etc. Women have it rough under Islam, much more so than under Christianity.

I think it's about 500 years behind Christianity in spiritual evolution. At the very least, a significant number of Christians do not wish to follow the harsh and barbaric laws laid out in the Old Testament whereas the fundamentalist and militaristic Muslims seem to relish in picking the most stringent and brutal laws in the Quran, interpreting them in the strictest way, and forcing them onto entire nations. I mean, seriously, bans on kite flying? Militant Muslims raining machine gun fire on a music festival? Threatening to behead a teacher for naming a teddy bear "Muhammad?" No thanks. Until the Muslim religion evolves, I really don't want to be surrounded by it. Individual Muslims are often nice people, but like with so many things, once the mob mentality sets in, well ... anything goes.

Last edited by Shirina; 10-06-2013 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: Forgot to put one of the questions in bold face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism