U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 03:37 PM

35,216 posts, read 19,277,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful Forever View Post
Not A Member
Looks like he didn't want to stick around for the answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 07:11 AM

5,192 posts, read 4,387,077 times
I have always wondered these.... Please answer

1. Does anyone in your family/friends know you are an atheist/agnostic?

Yes, I make no secret of it. It's noting to be ashamed of. It rarely comes up in discussion in my personal life.

2. Do you celebrate Christian holidays of Christmas and Easter?

Both Christmas and Easter have pre-Christian pagan roots. But yes, I celebrate Christmas. I believe in the spirit of giving and selflessness. And it's fun!

3. Will you baptize your child if your spouse wanted?

Probably not, but I would certainly allow my children to be baptized when they were old enough to understand its meaning and they chose to do so. I would fully support their decision to be a believer and attend church, etc. if they so wished.

4. Do you consider Jesus as a great person and philosopher?

From what we can garner from The Bible, many of the things he allegedly said and did indicate he was a wise and loving man who said much of great worth.

5. Why can't you just call yourself for "secular" rather than atheist, agnostic or nonbeliever?

I don't have a problem with that. As I say, it doesn't really come up in conversation much in my life.

6. How do you feel being surrounded by churches, God mentioned all the time, etc. in your daily life?

It doesn't affect me at all really. I am glad that others have these beliefs and are free to have them and to practice their faith.

7. Do you wish America was officially an atheist country?

No.

8. What if your children or spouse want to believe in God, pray, wear cross, etc.? What will you do?

I will support them 100%. I would never tell them they are wrong. They are their own people and nobody knows whether or not a god or gods exist. They can seek for themselves and come to their own conclusions.

9. If you get serious sick / old - will you start believe in God and ask for prayers?

I do not think so.

10. Why can't you just believe without questioning/be in doubt about God's existence without going to church, pray, etc.?

It would be dishonest of me.

11. Do you use any religious terms such as "bless you" e.g. when somebody sneeze?

Yes. I have done this, and I sometimes say "bless your heart" when someone is telling me about a problem they are having. I also don't mind when someone says "God bless you" or some variant of it to me. I consider it a sweet sentiment.

12. Would you rather live/buy a house next to a mosque, synagogue or church if you had to pick/choose?

I wouldn't really care one way or another if it was the right house in the right location.

13. If you had to pick, would you rather live under Christian or Islamic theocracy?

I'm glad not to live under a theocracy. If I had to choose one based on the current history of the two religions, I'd go with Christian, but either would be terrible.

14. What do you think about Islam?

It, like Christianity, is an offshoot of Judaism. Some of its writings and beliefs are quite beautiful, but as with Christianity, it can often be twisted and turn some people into wacky zealots.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:30 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
Quote:

yes

no

no no kids for me. too old

no

5. Why can't you just call yourself for "secular" rather than atheist, agnostic or nonbeliever?

Doesn't matter. Labels are labels.

6. How do you feel being surrounded by churches, God mentioned all the time, etc. in your daily life?

I do like looking at beautiful architecture of old churches. I don't mind if people mention God. To each their own as long as they respect my ideas.

Of course not. This is supposed to be a country of freedom. That was the whole idea of its foundation despite of what some people think.

8. What if your children or spouse want to believe in God, pray, wear cross, etc.? What will you do?

Nothing. That would be entirely up to them.

9. If you get serious sick / old - will you start believe in God and ask for prayers?

Nope, that has already happened and I haven't done it.

10. Why can't you just believe without questioning/be in doubt about God's existence without going to church, pray, etc.?

Why should I? I can't believe in many things. Why can't you believe in the possibility in there not being a deity?

11. Do you use any religious terms such as "bless you" e.g. when somebody sneeze?

No. I say "Salude" the Spanish word for "health" which is what Spanish people say. It makes more sense.

12. Would you rather live/buy a house next to a mosque, synagogue or church if you had to pick/choose?

Makes no difference to me.
13. If you had to pick, would you rather live under Christian or Islamic theocracy?

That's a tough one. It would depend upon the country. Some Islamic theocracies discriminate against women. Some Christian ones do. It's difficult to say. Whichever one didn't.

It's one of the oldest religions. It is one that unfortunately some have chosen to use as a tool to further political interests to oppress people and kill in the name of their God. The Christians had the Crusades for example. I don't see much difference other than the fact that the radical Islamic sects have guns to further their cause.

Thank you so much.
You are welcome. Your questions were pretty much leading towards your favoritism towards Christianity. It appeared to me that your inquisitiveness was more an agenda than a poll.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:55 PM

4,507 posts, read 3,908,225 times

Everyone, as we all are atheists.

Christmas, but over the last few years, not so much. I suspect in a few more we won't bother. But we don't have any religious ceremonies - just a tree, presents and dinner - which is not actually Christian in origin anyway.

Nope. If the child wants to be baptized s/he can do so at 18. And yes we have a child. Thankfully, hubby isn't religious so that was never an issue.

I'm not convinced he ever existed.

Secular isn't specific enough to me. It's not decisive enough.

I try to ignore it and that mostly works. It bugs me that churches are tax free, especially the multi million mega churches.

No. I don't care if other people believe. What bugs me is when people say this country was founded by Christians and on Christian laws. Very ignorant of history.

Well I doubt my husband will at his age. My child would have to go through quite a change to become religious. I suspect I would argue a lot.

Uh... no.

I don't understand the question. Do you mean hedge my bets? Pray just in case? That seems a bit hypocritical and morally repulsive.

That's more a social convention than a conviction.

Next to??? None of the above. I like the quiet life. Religious institutions are too busy/noisy for me.

Christian, since I'm female.

I think it's very 7th century. But then I think Christianity is very 1st century...

Old 10-16-2013, 04:52 PM

4,883 posts, read 3,972,759 times
Quote:

1. Does anyone in your family/friends know you are an atheist/agnostic? Yes, but we stopped discussing religion with each other long ago. They know too of my disdain for religions, and yes it has caused a few distant relatives to have no contact with me, but I assure you , dear reader, that this is NO BIG DEAL!
2. Do you celebrate Christian holidays of Christmas and Easter? YES and NO. ADVENT is amongst the most beautiful seasons of any religion. Many religions have beautiful ceremonies. Christmas ceremonies in a traditional High Mass, like at an Episcopal church, are aesthetically pleasing. Regardless of meaning, I liken it to a great Opera or a well performed Shakespeare play It is a timeless classic. Easter, I never cared for and do not observe.
3. Will you baptize your child if your spouse wanted? I would support my kids to be baptized if they wanted, but my old lady will not push them into it either.
4. Do you consider Jesus as a great person and philosopher? Not a person, but an ideal, probably mythical, but an ideal, kind of like the Buddha, or a self actualized person in psychology.
5. Why can't you just call yourself for "secular" rather than atheist, agnostic or nonbeliever? Secular would lend more towards a seperation of religion and certain aspect of life. As an atheist, I profess no belief in a diety, so therefore, I do not need to separate my religion from non religion....
6. How do you feel being surrounded by churches, God mentioned all the time, etc. in your daily life? I think religion is fascinating, and people's use of mythology to define their existance is what the interests ME in the study of mythology and society.
7. Do you wish America was officially an atheist country? NO, but I wish people could learn to be more responsible and sadly, many churches and mosques do not seem to encourage this.
8. What if your children or spouse want to believe in God, pray, wear cross, etc.? What will you do? TO each their own. When I was in art school, people had this fashion statement of wearing dozens of crosses at a time. These people were not Christian, but they simply saw wearing one as fashionable
9. If you get serious sick / old - will you start believe in God and ask for prayers? I have been sick, seriously sick and near death 5 years ago, and it was the skill of a great surgeon who saved me, not any deity. I would rather be tended to by someone skilled in the best and newest medical techniques than to waste time with a fictional Deity. So no, If anything, being seriously ill made me more of an atheist.
10. Why can't you just believe without questioning/be in doubt about God's existence without going to church, pray, etc.? Because there is not evidence. As far as the act of attending church, the bad experiences have far outweighed all the good ones I have had.
11. Do you use any religious terms such as "bless you" e.g. when somebody sneeze? Sometimes, GASHUNDHEIT is a good one too.
12. Would you rather live/buy a house next to a mosque, synagogue or church if you had to pick/choose? If it was in a good neighborhood and something of a historical/classic architecture, then why not?
13. If you had to pick, would you rather live under Christian or Islamic theocracy? Christian, as I already know how to survive in and around it.
14. What do you think about Islam? I do not like it, either. But I do not know as much about it as some others, but it is still a religion.

Thank you so much.
You are so welcome.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:55 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
Just once I would like to see someone ask honest questions about atheism that are not slanted almost completely towards a heavy Christian bias.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:45 AM

878 posts, read 774,364 times
Quote:

1. Does anyone in your family/friends know you are an atheist/agnostic? They all know
2. Do you celebrate Christian holidays of Christmas and Easter? Other than cooking, no, but I cook all the time.
3. Will you baptize your child if your spouse wanted? No kids! NMFP
4. Do you consider Jesus as a great person and philosopher? I doubt he existed at all
5. Why can't you just call yourself for "secular" rather than atheist, agnostic or nonbeliever? What's it to ya?
6. How do you feel being surrounded by churches, God mentioned all the time, etc. in your daily life? Amused at how many people have been brainwashed over the years.
7. Do you wish America was officially an atheist country? Couldn't care less.
8. What if your children or spouse want to believe in God, pray, wear cross, etc.? What will you do? No kids. NMFP. Partner is as agnostic as I.
9. If you get serious sick / old - will you start believe in God and ask for prayers? No, I will acquire a large dose of nembutal and use it.
10. Why can't you just believe without questioning/be in doubt about God's existence without going to church, pray, etc.? Because the notion of invisible sky fairies p*sses me off
11. Do you use any religious terms such as "bless you" e.g. when somebody sneeze? Yeah, but I mean Allah, just to annoy you.
12. Would you rather live/buy a house next to a mosque, synagogue or church if you had to pick/choose? Cabin by a lake
13. If you had to pick, would you rather live under Christian or Islamic theocracy? There is not a shred of difference.
14. What do you think about Islam? Just another POS lie, like all religion is a lie.

Thank you so much. For what? I reckon my answers won't make you happy. That's by design.
And there you have it.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:47 AM

10,305 posts, read 11,216,655 times
Quote:

Yes, everybody does.

Christmas, yes.
Easter, no.

Not an issue, but no.

No.

They don't mean the same thing. Why would you care what terms we use for ourselves?

I don't like it, but for the most part it doesn't have a negative effect on me. You will find that there are virtually no atheists who want to stamp out religion. What we do want is to have a government that doesn't favor or sponsor religious ideas or give religions special favorable treatment. (This would include favorable tax and regulatory treatment.)

I don't really know what this means. I wish America were truly a secular country, as our Constitution requires.

Nothing. It's their mistake, not mine.

Of course not. Getting sick would have no bearing on whether there is sufficient evidence to believe in any kind of supernatural being.

Why can't you just believe in Zeus without questioning his existence, sacrificing on Mt. Olympus, etc.?

No.

No. My preference if I had to choose would probably be a synagogue.

Living under any kind of theocracy would be intolerable.

At present Islam seems to be more receptive to the kinds of violent and oppressive ideas that also dominated Christianity and other religions at various times. Like Christianity, Islam seems to be strongly committed to the oppression of women and the suppression of free inquiry.

Thank you so much.
See my answers interspersed among your questions.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:32 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,672,773 times
Quote:

Yes, most know

Only to buy gifts and spend tome with famli.

We did not baptize our kids.

Jesus is just a guy that mows my lawn

I'm a satanist

It sucks because they a biggots and rednecks

YES

They are free to belive what they want, but don't push it on me.

What good would that do?

Just too foolish of a question to answer.

No, why would I

I reject all religions, so I'm staying far away.

I'd rather kill mysrlf than choose.

Just as evil as christians and all other religious folks

Thank you so much.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:48 PM

3,518 posts, read 2,446,358 times
Apparently the OP was a repetitive troll and is no longer a member so I don't know why I'm bothering, guess I'm just bored so here we go:

Very few of my family know, and most of my friends are aware

I celebrate Christmas because my family does but there's no meaning behind it except for quality family time spent together and sharing

My child IS baptized, but I used to be a Christian and he still is

I used to, now I just view him as a historical character, nothing more

What? A spade is a spade

I don't like it, but I live in the South and all my family is religious so it comes with the territory

No why would I? I only wish that Christians would stop shoving it down our throats

I'm ok with all that, I'm not the anti-christ

This is an interesting question actually. Stupid....but interesting. If I'm on my deathbed I will only be doing what will make others happy, such as praying for me and telling me what a wonderful life I've lived, etc. but being sick or old doesn't automatically make you somehow believe in the unbelievable

I DID believe for 40+ years without questioning....any more questions? Oh wait, that's what got me to where I am.....questioning. Doubt, no evidence, no answered prayers, etc.

Actually I do but it's just habit, now I view it more as blessings from me than some deity

Boy if that bothered me I'd be in trouble with a church on every corner

If I had to pick, I would choose Christianity rather than Islam for the simple fact that the majority of Christians are simply misguided and not terrorists who want to kill different minded people. Plus, I'm a woman and I enjoy wearing pants.

I can't say what I really think but I will say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism