U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 06:17 PM

29 posts, read 34,976 times

Advertisements

I have always wondered these.... Please answer

1. Does anyone in your family/friends know you are an atheist/agnostic?
2. Do you celebrate Christian holidays of Christmas and Easter?
3. Will you baptize your child if your spouse wanted?
4. Do you consider Jesus as a great person and philosopher?
5. Why can't you just call yourself for "secular" rather than atheist, agnostic or nonbeliever?
6. How do you feel being surrounded by churches, God mentioned all the time, etc. in your daily life?
7. Do you wish America was officially an atheist country?
8. What if your children or spouse want to believe in God, pray, wear cross, etc.? What will you do?
9. If you get serious sick / old - will you start believe in God and ask for prayers?
10. Why can't you just believe without questioning/be in doubt about God's existence without going to church, pray, etc.?
11. Do you use any religious terms such as "bless you" e.g. when somebody sneeze?
12. Would you rather live/buy a house next to a mosque, synagogue or church if you had to pick/choose?
13. If you had to pick, would you rather live under Christian or Islamic theocracy?
14. What do you think about Islam?

Thank you so much.

Last edited by Peaceful Forever; 09-18-2013 at 07:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 06:38 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,768,998 times
Everyone in my family is atheist, so yeah. As far as my friends go, I don't know. Never really discuss religion. Prolly half know I am an atheist.

No

No, I would never tolerate a religious upbringing for my child. If they insist they can GTFO. That's child abuse. No compromise.

I don't think jesus ever existed

5. Why can't you just call yourself for "secular" rather than atheist, agnostic or nonbeliever?
What?

6. How do you feel being surrounded by churches, God mentioned all the time, etc. in your daily life?
I'm not?

Yes

8. What if your children or spouse want to believe in God, pray, wear cross, etc.? What will you do?
Doubt that would happen

9. If you get serious sick / old - will you start believe in God and ask for prayers?
No

10. Why can't you just believe without questioning/be in doubt about God's existence without going to church, pray, etc.?
Why would I?

Old 09-18-2013, 06:46 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,281,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful Forever View Post

Yes.

Quote:
No. But I do celebrate the secular holidays of Christmas and Easter.

Quote:
No, I would not, though I suppose I couldn't stop it. Irrelevant, since I married a like-minded woman.

Quote:
No.

Quote:
Can't? Actually, I can. I can also call myself a garden gnome. Seems rather pointless to refuse to use the properly descriptive nomencalature, however, which is why I don't.

Quote:
I couldn't care less - except when the word 'God' is followed by some insistence that law or policy be based on the speaker's selective religious beliefs.

Quote:
No.

Quote:
Express my disapproval. There would be nothing more to do.

Quote:
No. Nor will I sacrifice a chicken, nor beseech Zeus to heal me.

Quote:
Because I don't possess a mind so pliable that I can flip belief on and off like a switch.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:54 PM

4,246 posts, read 7,842,448 times

Yes

Yes, I participate in American cultural traditions like Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, Halloween, Fourth of July, etc. I am able to celebrate Halloween without being Wiccan, just as I am able to celebrate Christmas without being Christian.

Moot point as we are both atheists.

To quote a Jewish friend of mine: "He was an interesting, charismatic historical character."

To my understanding, an institution is secular while a person is atheist. Perhaps someone with more rhetorical skill than I can further explain the distinction.

It's mildly annoying, but many things are. Mosquitoes, for example.

I believe in that First Amendment prohibits America from adopting any organized religion. Therefore, America is officially a secular country.

If my children express an interest in attending church, I will take them there. Just as I will take them to the zoo if they express an interest in penguins.

I don't plan on it, but I've never been seriously old before. Do you start believing in Santa on Christmas Eve?

I don't know. Why can't you just believe in the Tooth Fairy?

Old 09-18-2013, 07:14 PM

29 posts, read 34,976 times
^^^ Great responds... More please

Old 09-18-2013, 07:26 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,093,550 times
Quote:

Of course why wouldn't they?

Quote:

We celebrate the traditional time of the year just as pagans did when they celebrated the winter solstices and the spring equinox. After all it is that timing which the Christians adopted for the holidays. We enjoy the tradition decorating the Christmas tree, which was a pagan custom, we enjoy exchanging gifts, we enjoy family, and we enjoy watching the joy that the children have in these two events.

Quote:

Nope, neither of my children baptized nor any of my five grandchildren. Why would we want to be hypocrites? By the way, I am NOT baptised either.

Quote:
Why would I consider something that came out of a fairytale as real. I don't consider Santa Claus a great person either.

Quote:

What difference does it make.

Quote:

I live in the buckle of the Bible Belt. I and tolerant of other people's beliefs as I would hope they are of mine. I even have a Creation Museum 2 blocks from my house. It is amusing to see that people actually even consider it is be anything but its fantasy.

Quote:

American Constitution is quite clear as to freedom from religion. It is neither pro or anti religion. The founders got it right.

Quote:

If my children were so inclined great that is their option. My spouse not consider it. I feel fortunate that I brought up my children to think rather than just followed some book that was written by desert tribesmen 2000 years ago who were above all superstitious.

Quote:
Nope. I said no to hospital chaplain who asked me if I wanted him to say prayers for me when I was sick 9 years ago, and I politely declined. I'm not a hypocrite.

Quote:

I have no idea what this question means.

[quote]
11. Do you use any religious terms such as "bless you" e.g. when somebody sneeze?

Yep because I've been indoctrinated into the common society.

[quote]

12. Would you rather live next to a mosque, synagogue or church?

None of them. Too many people at certain times a week. I like my privacy and quiet.

[quote]

13. If you had to pick, would you rather live under Christian or Islamic theocracy?

Neither. Christians did a pretty bad job which apparently the Muslims have copied as how to run roughshod over people's rights. The Muslims learned well from Christians how to torture and kill people who do not believe the way they do.

Quote:

It is bat**** crazy an ideology as Christianity is.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:26 PM

6,862 posts, read 3,789,885 times

1. Does anyone in your family/friends know you are an atheist/agnostic? Yes
2. Do you celebrate Christian holidays of Christmas and Easter? Yes
3. Will you baptize your child if your spouse wanted? My children are all baptised but I was agnostic at the time. I wouldn't do it now and frankly I'm being totally honest here it was just to get my kids into a good school.
4. Do you consider Jesus as a great person and philosopher? Yes
5. Why can't you just call yourself for "secular" rather than atheist, agnostic or nonbeliever? Atheist covers it and it's just a word.
6. How do you feel being surrounded by churches fine God mentioned all the time not so much
7. Do you wish America was officially an atheist country? Yes. What with creationism, Scientology, Mormonism and the rest, I think about 75% of the country has lost its mind. A belief in god I have no problem with at all.
8. What if your children or spouse want to believe in God, pray, wear cross, etc.? What will you do? Let them make their own choices.
9. If you get serious sick / old - will you start believe in God and ask for prayers? Absolutely not.
10. Why can't you just believe without questioning/be in doubt about God's existence without going to church, pray, etc.? I have no idea.
11. Do you use any religious terms such as "bless you" e.g. when somebody sneeze? Yes. All the time.
12. Would you rather live next to a mosque, synagogue or church? No why would I want that? Funny question to direct at an atheist.
13. If you had to pick, would you rather live under Christian or Islamic theocracy? Christian but only because I am more familiar with that.
14. What do you think about Islam? I don't really give it any thought apart from when extremists make themselves known.

Thank you so much.
No problem

Old 09-18-2013, 07:28 PM

6,553 posts, read 3,283,637 times
Quote:
1. Some.
2. Christmas yes. Family reasons. I respect Jesus enough to celebrate his birth as well.
3. Probably.
4. Yes. Jesus was a very kind man and very much ahead of his time.
5. Same reason the Pope says he's Catholic and not just spiritual or religious.
6. I'm used to it. People are entitled to their beliefs and to sharing them with others, and so long as they do this kindly (many do, some don't), I see no problems.
7. No. I wish it was more aware of it's secular roots.
8. That's fine, so long as they do so respectfully and respect those who disagree with them.
9. Probably not.
10. I don't know. I think about it too much, I guess. The big thing that bugs be is that religion is demographic
11. I tend to say bless you yes. It's polite.
12. Church, though really I have no preference.
13. That's actually a tough one. I like Jesus, but I hate the Christian idea of original sin. Probably Christianity though; I know more about it.'
14. Same as all other religions. Believe what they want, but don't make it anyone's problem if they don't want to hear it.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:34 PM

14,197 posts, read 9,089,205 times
Some do, some don't. It's a function of whether they've asked. I don't wear it on my sleeve.

Secularized Christmas yes, Easter no.

My children are grown and my spouse is like minded. If I were in that situation I'd likely allow it.

No.

I don't really label myself in public. If someone asks if I believe in god, I respond truthfully. If someone asks me to participate in something religious, I tell them I'm not religious. That's usually sufficient for people. Going into detail, generally, is TMI (Too Much Information) and not necessary.

It doesn't bother me.

No.

Other people are free to do what they want. My stepdaughter, when young, was interested in church and my wife bought her Bible story books to read her at bedtime. She took her to church. She put both her kids in church-sponsored day care for awhile because she wanted them to be exposed to all facets of life.

I don't understand the question -- why would I?

"Without questioning" implies a total lack of curiosity and interest about how things actually are. I'm just too curious, I guess. Also, I can't turn belief on and off. Belief or unbelief is an automatic response to facts that are in evidence. I don't see the slightest empirical evidence for god.

I use socially appropriate and expected terms pretty much without regard to whether they have a religious origin. I don't think I'll be contaminated by doing so.

The question has never crossed my mind. I don't know why that would be a problem, any more than a store or an office building.

Christian, since I am familiar with it -- no other reason, really.

I have no inherent problem with it. Just got back from a long vacation in Turkey, in fact. That experience taught me that there's nothing inherent in Islam that would preclude having a modern secular state. It was like being in the US except it was Islamic rather than Christian. Much of the Islamic world, though, is poverty stricken and in thrall to fundamentalist / extremist sects in a way that even the US isn't. I wouldn't enjoy dealing with that.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:47 PM

16,104 posts, read 17,907,645 times

Some yes, some no. Friends know. Some family members do not.

Not the religious part, but we do Santa and Easter Eggs for the grandchildren.

not relevant as my children are grown. We did not baptize them, but we are a multicultural family and my dh was brought up Jewish, so Christian baptizm was not even considered.

Not really.

Because atheist and agnostic are the better description for me. I don't believe in any god or gods or goddesses.

Being surrounded by churches doesn't bother me. God was not mentioned all the time when I lived in Chicago. In Texas, it is different and the assumption that everyone is Christian does bother me, but I don't care whether they *mention* god, only that they want to convert everyone else including my Hindu dil.

No

If they did, it would be ok as long as they were not trying to convert me. We are a multicultural family. There are various religions included and it is fine. I would be a bit disappointed if my children became evangelicals, but it is their choice. It is, however, not going to happen as they are both grown and not religious.

NOPE

Huh?

sometimes. In general, I like the spanish way - salud (to your health - for one sneeze), dinero (for wealth, for the second sneeze), amor (for love, for the third sneeze)

No preference really.

I would not pick either really. Theocracy is a terrible idea. I suppose, I could live in Isreal under Judaism because it is still a secular state. Not Vatican City or any of the Islamic states or any Christian theocracy in the United States. I would have to emigrate if that happened.

Same as any other religion. It makes no sense to believe in any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism