U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 12:20 PM

51 posts, read 307,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
My parents are atheist and I had a completely secular upbringing. If I was anything BUT an atheist my parents might be disappointed.

You have some pretty awesome parents!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 12:25 PM

590 posts, read 665,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will307 View Post
Most of my family knows I am and they don't seem to like it but they still love me and accept me as their family. When they found out though it was a shock to everyone but I didn't care and didn't care if they "accepted" me or not. How did your family react when you told them? If you didn't tell them how did they find out and how did your friends react? How you did you react when you found out you didn't believe anymore?
I come from a religious family. I am only close to my parents and they would be afraid of the eternal torment waiting for me if I let them know. I do not want to cause them unnecessary grief.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:28 PM

419 posts, read 952,279 times
Quote:
My parents are atheist and I had a completely secular upbringing. If I was anything BUT an atheist my parents might be disappointed.
Me too. All of my maternal relatives are atheist. My maternal grandparents identified as Presbyterian and Quaker, but clearly they brought up a brood of freethinkers.

My paternal side has a couple of Christians, but we tolerate them.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:29 PM

204 posts, read 279,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timemachine View Post
my mother and father are still in denial that i'm an athiest, even after the past 30 years of me telling them that point blank. Sigh. I will say they have tired out talking about religion and now discuss the weather a lot with me. Occasionaly my dad will pat me on the shoulder and say he really wishes i'd "get on god", and my mother will drop comments that she knows i'm secretly a christian, and that i just don't want to back down and admit it.
Sigh again.
:d

Old 09-19-2013, 01:06 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,775,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
Me too. All of my maternal relatives are atheist. My maternal grandparents identified as Presbyterian and Quaker, but clearly they brought up a brood of freethinkers.

My paternal side has a couple of Christians, but we tolerate them.
Interesting. Was staying with my aunt and uncle back in mexico one summer when I was really little and they enrolled me in a summer camp that was organized by a presbytarian church. I remember my father being very upset about it. Dont remember any details about the camp tho aside from the swimming pool. What do they bkieve in? Is it just generic Christian stuff?

Old 09-19-2013, 05:33 PM

419 posts, read 952,279 times
Quote:
Interesting. Was staying with my aunt and uncle back in mexico one summer when I was really little and they enrolled me in a summer camp that was organized by a presbytarian church. I remember my father being very upset about it. Dont remember any details about the camp tho aside from the swimming pool. What do they bkieve in? Is it just generic Christian stuff?
I don't know too much about it except that it's a variation of Protestant. The minister of my grandmother's church was a wonderful man who married my husband and me in our front yard, and secularized the service at our request. Very open-minded all in all. We went through premarital counseling with him and it was a wonderful experience.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:30 PM

16,119 posts, read 17,943,466 times
Quote:
Pretty genericly Christian, but a few things are specific to the denomination

Presbyterian Church - Beliefs and Practices of the Presbyterian Denomination

http://christianity.about.com/od/pre...resbyteprofile.

Interesting chart comparing the various denominations and beliefs (doesn't get them all, but..)

Comparison Chart of Beliefs of Christian Denominations - ReligionFacts

Old 09-22-2013, 06:37 AM

3,571 posts, read 6,193,292 times
My father is fine with it, I think he's not exactly devout anyways. My mother never did and she pisses me off cause growing up we NEVER once went to church, talked about god, picked up a bible etc. Now all the sudden its all God this an Jesus that. She says things like "I'll enjoy you now cause I won't be going where you are when we're gone"... Whatever, honestly at this point I can only say good... My younger sister is agnostic and my two younger brothers are Atheist also. I'm just more vocal about it.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:24 AM

1,988 posts, read 4,640,710 times
My family wasn't surprised, and they don't care. I'm the same Me I've always been. I live in one of those areas where people don't really care what other people believe as long as they don't force it on others.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:10 AM

2,967 posts, read 4,200,086 times
I have been a free-thinker since childhood. Parents also non-religious, but did not indoctrinate me with any belief or non-belief. I have never hid it from anyone my entire life, but never wore it on my sleeve either. Spirituality to me has always been a private matter, not a belief or anti-belief to be proselytized onto others. I attended private Catholic schools and would actually sit out of confession and communion (with my Jewish school mates) while all of the other kids participated; even back then I had no desire to "fit in" religiously, or live a lie due to peer pressure. No teachers ever confronted me, and not much has ever been said by any family.

I know adults who are are atheists, yet they hide it from everyone. I suspect the actual % of atheists in this country is much higher than shown, simply because so many people lie to avoid persecution, judgment and drama from peers and family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or