U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 05:30 AM

39,026 posts, read 10,819,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will307 View Post
I notice a lot of atheists, when they gave up a belief in a god they quit religion altogether and never looked back but not me, I am an atheist and am also a Taoist. I'd like to know why many atheists don't look to other religions and philosophies and give up religion altogether when they give up a belief in a god. If you're a religious atheist comment the religion or philosophy you follow and why you chose that religion and/or philosophy. If you're just an atheist with no particular religion or philosophy and don't plan on it following one comment why, if you're an atheist and am thinking about following a religion or philosophy comment what religion you'd choose. Some good suggestions are IMO: Taoism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Jainism, Hinduism and Satanism.
I'd say that we take our suggestions from anywhere, religious or not, and consider them on non -religious grounds. Now matters such as meditation are given serious consideration, but the religious trappings are irrelevant and so are best avoided.

The same with 'help the poor'. All very fine, but we find the religious agenda behind much charitable work unhelpful.

As to the philosophical aspects about not -self or the Void, they do tend to fall into the black box/NDE category. Hypothetical explanations for (at best) various experiences we have, but logically we tend to distrust taking explanatory hypotheses as life -changing fact without without better evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 07:56 AM

14,190 posts, read 9,077,440 times
Quote:
I'd like to know why many atheists don't look to other religions and philosophies and give up religion altogether when they give up a belief in a god.
It was natural for me, upon leaving evangelical Christianity, to look at other flavors of Christianity and at other religions and philosophies. It was my discovery that none had any substantiation for their beliefs or worldview, and that none had anything practical to offer in proportion to the devotion required. That leaves only unbelief.

I make a partial and tentative exception for Buddhism, or at least the practical aspects of it, but meditation to the point of altered consciousness had not proven very achievable or helpful for me personally. I do believe that it helps a lot of people deal with life and I even find it helpful at least conceptually. For people who are "headier" however it's probably still too dependent on subjective personal experience for best results.

I find that many belief systems, particularly eastern mysticisms, depend on "deepities" -- profound-sounding platitudes that don't actually say anything if you deconstruct them even a little. I think such pronouncements pander to our desire for transcendence of the human condition but have no real substance; under sustained observation, they tend to evaporate just like any of the more seemingly intuitive bits of furniture we decorate our mental living rooms with.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:43 AM

5,322 posts, read 8,357,780 times
OP, I'm an atheist but find a great deal of value in Buddhism and Taoism. They are considered both philosophies and religions, only without god(s). I study them for their philosophical insights without buying into any of the mystical aspects such as reincarnation.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:42 PM

51 posts, read 307,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
OP, I'm an atheist but find a great deal of value in Buddhism and Taoism. They are considered both philosophies and religions, only without god(s). I study them for their philosophical insights without buying into any of the mystical aspects such as reincarnation.

Same here. I'm fairly new to Taoism, care to share any information and teach me a few things?

Old 09-20-2013, 01:35 PM

6,553 posts, read 3,279,241 times
I still like Jesus. Seems like a good guy. I'd say religion has many good and bad qualities. It's a shame that so many of the bad are considered good by those who think their god is better than everyone else's god.

As I said, I do like Jesus. His turn the other cheek and love your enemies philosophy is one I think anyone of any religion can respect. Look at Martin Luther King Jr. Unlike nealry every loud Christian fundamentalist (particularly those in politics), MLK earned the title of 'Christian' by practicing Jesus' philosophy. Actually, Gandhi is more deserving of the title than most Christian fundamentalists, and he was Hindu.

I also find Buddhism fascinating. Such a peaceful religion and the Dalai Lama is absolutely wonderful and one of the best religious figures out there (though I feel the new Pope is actually pretty solid). It also doesn't require a belief in a god which I think can make things get messy. Reincarnation also sounds a lot nicer (in my opinion) than some form of heavenly afterlife.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:14 PM

14,190 posts, read 9,077,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Reincarnation also sounds a lot nicer (in my opinion) than some form of heavenly afterlife.
Living Groundhog Day over and over until you get it is a bad enough concept but at least the protagonist remembered and learned from each of his repetitions. Stumbling around in confusion, life after life, without even the benefit of your past experience, has always struck me as bad as the Christian hell.

I have come to look at afterlives the same way I look at life: I find myself here living it with no say in the matter and I'm obliged to take it as dished out and like it. I find that absurd and I take most of my pleasure in circumventing that as best I can and laughing at it to the extent that I can't.

Afterlives are no different. I will be really annoyed if I finally come to the clearing at the end of the path and leave all this nonsense behind only to find that I have a new set of nonsense to deal with, and a greatly increased probability that there is no way out as you'll just find yourself in yet another situation, over and over, either because that's just the way the universe impersonally works or because some crazed soda jerk in the sky just feels it can pour out whatever concoction it wants.

In this life we get to at least advocate for the kind of government, community, professional and family life we want, and manage to lurch, however imperfectly, in that general direction somewhat more often than not. I'm content to leave the world a little better than I found it and pass the baton to the young and naive who think they can do a better job and let life beat that out of them in turn. I don't need grandiose cosmologies to provide me with more of the same. If something like that exists, I'll just have to suck it up an deal with it (after all, it's what I do) but I sure hope not.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:26 PM

195 posts, read 212,233 times
Quote:
I notice a lot of atheists, when they gave up a belief in a god they quit religion altogether and never looked back but not me, I am an atheist and am also a Taoist. I'd like to know why many atheists don't look to other religions and philosophies and give up religion altogether when they give up a belief in a god. If you're a religious atheist comment the religion or philosophy you follow and why you chose that religion and/or philosophy. If you're just an atheist with no particular religion or philosophy and don't plan on it following one comment why, if you're an atheist and am thinking about following a religion or philosophy comment what religion you'd choose. Some good suggestions are IMO: Taoism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Jainism, Hinduism and Satanism.
I don't know how you define atheism. I don't believe in a supernatural god, but I generally hate atheists. I love the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) for its values. I don't mind its myths either, though I don't believe them to be literally true. My views on all this are here:

Biblic Judaism - Skepticism

Old 09-24-2013, 06:20 PM

30,875 posts, read 31,750,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fschmidt View Post
I don't know how you define atheism. I don't believe in a supernatural god, but I generally hate atheists. I love the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) for its values. I don't mind its myths either, though I don't believe them to be literally true. My views on all this are here:

Biblic Judaism - Skepticism
You hate atheists? Why?

Old 09-24-2013, 06:23 PM

195 posts, read 212,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You hate atheists? Why?
I explained that here:

AntiModernism - Atheism

Old 09-24-2013, 06:54 PM

30,875 posts, read 31,750,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fschmidt View Post
I explained that here:

AntiModernism - Atheism
What do you think the mods would do if I stated that I hate Christians on the Christianity forum? If you hate atheists, then what are you doing on this forum? From what I read on your link. even though you claim to once have been an atheist you do not know what an atheist is....Your claim that atheists hate god is nonsense, since we do not believe any gods exist, how could we hate what we do not believe? That would be like me saying I hate dragons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or