U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 07:05 PM

505 posts, read 477,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Can you explain what you mean by a "true agnostic"? I consider myself both an agnostic and an atheist, and don't feel there is anything false or deficient about my agnosticism.

Why do you think discussing theology with an agnostic (one who does not believe that the existence of a god is knowable) will lead to a different result than talking to an atheist? Are you more open to being persuaded by assertions that gods are fundamentally unknowable?

Or did you really mean you are looking for people who are wishy-washy or undecided to proselytize?

-NoCapo
Ok, this is entirely my fault.

My brother (who has 10 times the intelligence I have) told me he was agnostic. He defined it as one who is not sure one way or the other about the existence of God. I had no reason to believe that that definition was not correct. I ASSUMED from that definition that a 'true agnostic' would then be a person who, not knowing one way or the other would be open to the possibility that God did exist.
So yes, if I'm being totally honest with you, you are correct. I was hoping to find those who were undecided to talk to. I have information Moderator cut: deletedthat I hoped would shed some light on why the existence of God can be so very hard to see. Thus the call for those people to message me privately. And no, I wouldn't say they were wishy-washy, those are your words brother.

For my future reference what do we call those people who are undecided if not agnostic? These are the folks I'm looking for.

Last edited by june 7th; 09-26-2013 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: Reference to moderator actions is in violation of the TOS.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:19 PM

1,387 posts, read 2,166,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post

My brother (who has 10 times the intelligence I have) told me he was agnostic. He defined it as one who is not sure one way or the other about the existence of God. I had no reason to believe that that definition was not correct. I ASSUMED from that definition that a 'true agnostic' would then be a person who, not knowing one way or the other would be open to the possibility that God did exist.
So yes, if I'm being totally honest with you, you are correct. I was hoping to find those who were undecided to talk to. I have information which Moderator cut: Orphanedthat I hoped would shed some light on why the existence of God can be so very hard to see. Thus the call for those people to message me privately. And no, I wouldn't say they were wishy-washy, those are your words brother.

For my future reference what do we call those people who are undecided if not agnostic? These are the folks I'm looking for.
You call them "undecided".

Last edited by june 7th; 09-26-2013 at 10:05 PM..

Old 09-26-2013, 07:33 PM

20,332 posts, read 10,446,192 times
Quote:

So yes, if I'm being totally honest with you, you are correct. I was hoping to find those who were undecided to talk to. I have information Moderator cut: Orphaned that I hoped would shed some light on why the existence of God can be so very hard to see. Thus the call for those people to message me privately. And no, I wouldn't say they were wishy-washy, those are your words brother.

I'll admit that I don't know one way or the other, but lacking proof, I don't believe in any god.

Last edited by june 7th; 09-26-2013 at 10:06 PM..

Old 09-26-2013, 08:02 PM

3,404 posts, read 2,250,359 times
Quote:

So yes, if I'm being totally honest with you, you are correct. I was hoping to find those who were undecided to talk to. I have information Moderator cut: Orphaned that I hoped would shed some light on why the existence of God can be so very hard to see. Thus the call for those people to message me privately. And no, I wouldn't say they were wishy-washy, those are your words brother.

Undecided would be good. If I'm not feeling charitable, marks or rubes... Most folks on here are open to the possibility of God, we just want to see some repeatable verifiable empirical evidence, not excuses. The vast majority of us are agnostic, in that we don't claim to know that there is or is not a god, only that we do not believe becasue we do not have sufficient evidence. What you are looking for is an easy target, not just an open mind.

Honestly it seems a bit, I don't know, underhanded, creepy, duplicitous, something... to avoid debate with anyone who disagrees with you, but only target those who you think you can convince. Are you open minded? If you are not also open minded, it really devolves to preaching to teaching and not a discussion. Most people, undecided or not, don't like being preached at...

At any rate, there is a big sticky that says No Proselytizing on this forum. If you are really interested in discussion, and willing to be disagreed with or argued with, you are welcome to open a topic. If the mods won't let you post it, there is probably a reason, try a different approach. If you are just trying to preach at people, this is not the place to do it.

-NoCapo

Last edited by june 7th; 09-26-2013 at 10:07 PM..

Old 09-26-2013, 08:46 PM

204 posts, read 278,164 times
I'm agnostic

Old 09-26-2013, 08:58 PM

12,540 posts, read 12,525,148 times
Quote:
If you are a true AGNOSTIC and still open minded contact me via direct message for discussion. I'm done fighting- looking for discussion here.
Meaning "open to proselytization."

There is no such thing as "discussion" with people who want to try to convert you.

Quote:
I have information which the mods will not let me share on this or any other forum that I hoped would shed some light on why the existence of God can be so very hard to see. Thus the call for those people to message me privately. And no, I wouldn't say they were wishy-washy, those are your words brother.
As I suspected, you're using this forum to solicit people to preach to.

Last edited by Lilac110; 09-26-2013 at 09:11 PM..

Old 09-26-2013, 10:09 PM

7,811 posts, read 10,703,343 times
Thread closed due to lacking an OP to be debated or discussed, but rather, is a solicitation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism