U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-25-2013, 07:28 PM
 
Location: kS.
505 posts, read 477,589 times
Reputation: 123

Advertisements

It looks like the atheists are the more vocal group, but surely there are true agnostics here also?

I freely admit It wasted a lot of time and effort going back and forth with atheists here (both my time and theirs!).

If you are a true AGNOSTIC and still open minded contact me via direct message for discussion. I'm done fighting- looking for discussion here.

 
Old 09-25-2013, 07:34 PM
 
Location: The Big O
590 posts, read 664,125 times
Reputation: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post
It looks like the atheists are the more vocal group, but surely there are true agnostics here also?
I'm actually both, as are most atheists.
 
Old 09-25-2013, 08:37 PM
 
Location: In a little house on the prairie - literally
10,202 posts, read 6,091,191 times
Reputation: 4527
So why are you only interested in Christian agnostic? What about hindu agnostics? What about Muslim agnostics? What about yuroba agnostics?
 
Old 09-25-2013, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Rivendell
1,387 posts, read 2,166,500 times
Reputation: 1650
I am a TRUE agnostic. I have no knowledge of gods, and I think the whole question of their existence is unanswerable. Therefore, I don't believe in them.
 
Old 09-25-2013, 10:45 PM
 
Location: The Big O
590 posts, read 664,125 times
Reputation: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
I am a TRUE agnostic. I have no knowledge of gods, and I think the whole question of their existence is unanswerable. Therefore, I don't believe in them.
Dang it, it's that last sentence that always comes up and gets us in trouble.
 
Old 09-25-2013, 11:41 PM
 
Location: South Africa
5,563 posts, read 6,320,343 times
Reputation: 1786
I wonder why theists think that agnostic means that folk that say they are, are perhaps open to be wooed back into the madness of theism?

Agnosticism implies w/o knowledge and by that means everyone in the world is agnostic. Theists are no more able to prove their gods than we are able to disprove gods.

Atheism is mere lack of belief in the pantheon of gods on offer globally.

I however do not hold strictly to this assertion as the gods folk believe in are real but are only in their heads, therefore, to the believer, their god is true. These personal gods are mere projections/extensions of their own ego. They all make some assimilation between their god the ME bible god and when that bible god is criticised, is the reason they take personal offence. You know it is not a religion but a personal relationship.

Perhaps atheists are the true believers knowing that this head god goes poof with a logic pill, is a figment of their own imagination and as such falls in the realm of fantasy.

Everyone seeks some form of tribal validation/acceptance; it stands to reason theists will insist this same validation/acceptance be extended to their personal head god. We have heard all too often how folk need their faith to get by and refuse to abandon it despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
 
Old 09-26-2013, 04:19 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,386 posts, read 12,138,366 times
Reputation: 16624
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
These personal gods are mere projections/extensions of their own ego.
...
I'm not sure that is true or else my ego is the biggest ego ever!

My ego would then be projecting this Pure Conscious Mind with
unimagineable holographic, omnipresent, muti~universal Presence;
infinitessimal and eternally alive even in empty spaces...a Force of Love more
powerful than gravity because it created it and and is maintaining 150 billion
Suns most 50xs larger than ours in our teeny Galaxy alone!
(Let alone the 10,000 galaxies hidden behind your thumb as you raise it up to the sky)

(I could go on, but you get the picture.)

My ego's enormous according to that sentence!!
 
Old 09-26-2013, 06:17 AM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,197 posts, read 9,085,887 times
Reputation: 6081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I'm not sure that is true or else my ego is the biggest ego ever!

My ego would then be projecting this Pure Conscious Mind with
unimagineable holographic, omnipresent, muti~universal Presence;
infinitessimal and eternally alive even in empty spaces...a Force of Love more
powerful than gravity because it created it and and is maintaining 150 billion
Suns most 50xs larger than ours in our teeny Galaxy alone!
(Let alone the 10,000 galaxies hidden behind your thumb as you raise it up to the sky)

(I could go on, but you get the picture.)

My ego's enormous according to that sentence!!
I wouldn't say that your ego is enormous so much as that your imagination is rich. It allows you to imagine a multitude of connections and to feel deeply.

Ego is not inherently a Bad Thing; in fact, without it we would not be able to function in the real world. And I disagree with SA that god is an extension of people's egos. God is a projection of what people consider their ideal selves to be. If they are a megalomaniac then their god protects everything that their ego is invested in with all ruthlessness. If they are a sweet and loving and gentle person then it conjures some flavor of Meek and Mild Jesus or New Age Jesus. If they are a fundamentalist who sees themselves as a warrior "contending for the faith once and for all delivered to the saints" then Contentious Jesus manifests to (dis)agree with everything they (dis)agree with.
 
Old 09-26-2013, 06:47 AM
 
3,404 posts, read 2,250,975 times
Reputation: 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post
It looks like the atheists are the more vocal group, but surely there are true agnostics here also?

I freely admit It wasted a lot of time and effort going back and forth with atheists here (both my time and theirs!).

If you are a true AGNOSTIC and still open minded contact me via direct message for discussion. I'm done fighting- looking for discussion here.
Can you explain what you mean by a "true agnostic"? I consider myself both an agnostic and an atheist, and don't feel there is anything false or deficient about my agnosticism.

Why do you think discussing theology with an agnostic (one who does not believe that the existence of a god is knowable) will lead to a different result than talking to an atheist? Are you more open to being persuaded by assertions that gods are fundamentally unknowable?

Or did you really mean you are looking for people who are wishy-washy or undecided to proselytize?

-NoCapo
 
Old 09-26-2013, 07:07 AM
 
4,226 posts, read 2,594,044 times
Reputation: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post
It looks like the atheists are the more vocal group, but surely there are true agnostics here also?

I freely admit It wasted a lot of time and effort going back and forth with atheists here (both my time and theirs!).

If you are a true AGNOSTIC and still open minded contact me via direct message for discussion. I'm done fighting- looking for discussion here.
How can you be a true agnostic with a title like Joint heir with jesus?

Note: Very few atheist want to be separated from the title of agnosticism. Even the militant atheist will claim agnosticism because otherwise they'd just come across as a nihilist with self-serving agendas.

My idea of a "true agnostic" is one that is okay with being worm food or okay with having an afterlife.

I doubt you'll ever see a "true agnostic" name-calling or trying to recruit you for anything except open-minded exploration of all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top