U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2013, 05:31 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,084,721 times

Advertisements

For longer term members here on this sub-forum, perhaps you can comment on what is and is not allowed. Moderators please comment as appropriate.

Yes, I've read the terms of reference. Not an easy read without paragraph breaks or sub headings, but be that as it maybe, they are still the TOR.

I see some significant dissing of non Christians in that forum however am not aware of any of those threads closed.

The thread on what many here may consider way out there believes was shut down. Apparently because individuals were targeted in some of the comments.

Is that a double standard or am I viewing it wrong? Many us do see some religious fanatics and seriously wonder about some of their pronouncements.

Thoughts?

Old 10-03-2013, 06:18 PM

13,570 posts, read 21,710,437 times
You may talk about fanaticism in general terms, BUT cannot name posters in these forums as that is a personal attack or post some one's post from the Religion or Christianity forum for the purpose of making fun of or attacking.

If you see any "significant dissing" of non Christians ,which would include the name of that poster or a copy/paste of his post, you need to report it.

I did close the other thread with a mod cut explaining why. I hoped it was plain and to the point.

Just keep in mind that if a religious person comes in to debate/discuss what you have said. He is allowed to do that so long as he does not bash, attack your non belief or does not go off topic into proseltyzing.

There are some Christians and other believers who post in this forum regularly and they contribute to the discussion without proseltyzing. Just keep reporting the ones who don't .
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio

Old 10-06-2013, 06:01 PM

2,637 posts, read 10,928,906 times
Consider your previous thread which was closed. I don't think that the topic itself is necessarily verboten, but in your title you led by talking about believers who come across as "bat-**** insane", and an insult like that defines the tone of the entire subsequent conversation. I know I wouldn't like it if there was a thread in one of the religion forums that characterized atheists that way, so I imagine that believers don't appreciate that either. I think you could have posted a similar topic, worded more diplomatically, and it would have been ok.

Essentially, I think you just need to put yourself in the shoes of a random believer who will read your title and post and make sure that you are not being needlessly inflammatory or insulting. Instead of calling out believers who come off a certain way to you, it is safer to home in on the specific things they say or actions they take, then it is less like an attack on them as people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism