U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 06:22 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,821,743 times

Advertisements

Oy vey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 11:49 PM

56,266 posts, read 54,712,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
I think it's impossible to be termed an atheist. Everyone, deep down, believes there is SOMETHING. Why not Agnostic? To believe that something COULD be out there. It's pretty cocky and arrogant to say 100% that there is NOTHING out there. We don't even know 99% of space, but we can say there is nothing out there? No God? No driving force? No chance that something (whether you call it God or being or something else) controls the world?
That's not true. Not everyone believes deep down that there is what you call a "SOMETHING". I used to think the same thing, but after years of knowing real live atheists, I know that there are many people who truly do not believe there is anything outside of what can be proven via science or empirical evidence or in the existence of any force or being that we identify as God.

We still can respect the atheist's point of view and not dismiss it as not being REALLY what they think.

The Quakers say, "I cannot tell anyone else how to experience God. I can only know how I experience God." I think that's a good rule to follow, not only with atheists but with all people who don't believe exactly what we believe.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:27 AM

30,709 posts, read 33,524,935 times
I don't know where this "deep down" is supposed to be.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:30 AM

4,999 posts, read 3,888,375 times
Deep deeeeep down, I believe that Miley Cyrus is trashhhhh.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:03 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,944,384 times
Quote:
I think it's impossible to be termed an atheist. Everyone, deep down, believes there is SOMETHING.
And as long as that SOMETHING isn't a god, then atheist is a perfectly fitting label.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:14 AM

10,946 posts, read 8,266,473 times
Quote:
I think it's impossible to be termed an atheist. Everyone, deep down, believes there is SOMETHING. Why not Agnostic? To believe that something COULD be out there. It's pretty cocky and arrogant to say 100% that there is NOTHING out there. We don't even know 99% of space, but we can say there is nothing out there? No God? No driving force? No chance that something (whether you call it God or being or something else) controls the world?
And how would you know this to be a fact?

Have inside knowledge of what every individual in the entire world actually thinks and feels? Or did your "special" friend tell you this in your dreams?

Old 10-12-2013, 08:32 AM

9,412 posts, read 11,747,177 times
What is this "deep down" you talk about? Do you mean deep down within our brain? If it's that deep down and we don't have access to it through our neural pathways then it's completely pointless. If it's deep down where we do have access to those thought patterns then it's not that deep down at all.

Whatever you think you mean, you don't know what you're talking about. Just because YOU believe something doesn't make it applicable to everyone.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:05 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,102,293 times
I think probably to the OP, "deep down" is just code words for "driven deep into your subconscious because you just don't want to admit it to yourself or to others". In other words to the OP, belief / faith / knowledge of capital "T" Truth is innate and edge cases are explained away with pop psychology and subtle and not-so-subtle accusations of lying.

Anything to deny or "explain" away or delegitimize any personal experience or testimony contrary to fundamentalist dogma.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:18 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,225,583 times
Quote:

recent neuroscience studies which scan the brains of people already disprove the existence of gods. belief in god is a neuro fantasy. in many cases belief in god is linked to brain damage and mental illness and disorders

Old 10-12-2013, 11:48 AM

583 posts, read 1,492,451 times
maybe deep with in the colon that and the bible are both full of
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or