U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 01:26 PM

4,144 posts, read 5,106,815 times

Advertisements

It is possible to be an atheist. An atheist is just someone who doesn't believe in the existence of any god. It doesn't mean that you're absolutely certain there is no god. Also, not everyone deep down believes there is something out there. If you talk to an atheist you'll see that they deep down don't believe there is something else out there. This argument is no different than me saying that everyone deep down believes there is nothing out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 07:55 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,007,120 times
I think that "deep down" theists know there is no god. That is why they fear death and only pray for things that they know *can* happen. (Ever known anyone to pray for a limb to regenerate?)

Old 10-13-2013, 07:53 PM

278 posts, read 255,401 times
If there is no evidence for a thing, the provisional conclusion, for me, is that it doesn't exist until evidence proves otherwise.
I think religious people have made a wrong assertion about the non-believer; namely, that we are necessarily rooting against a deity or divine maker.
For me, I just want to see where the evidence leads us. So far I haven't heard a compelling argument for the existance of a big great skywizard, baby-sitter.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:27 PM

19,786 posts, read 19,886,317 times
It's impossible to be an Atheist

Wonderful! That means I've managed the impossible!
What a feat!

Old 10-14-2013, 12:33 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,754,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
It's impossible to be an Atheist

Wonderful! That means I've managed the impossible!
What a feat!
Praise the lord!!!!!!!

Old 10-14-2013, 12:54 PM

40,859 posts, read 18,557,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't know where this "deep down" is supposed to be.
I think it is one of the sub departments of the University of the Atmosphere, the same place that brings us declarations which are backed or proven by "Everyone knows.." or "Historians generally agree.." or "Common sense will tell you..." or "In your heart..."

The U of A-sphere is that place of ultimate reliance for data which doesn't actually exist, but serves as the all purpose data bank for those who like to assert in the absence of any factual information.

These forums seem to attract a lot of the graduates.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:21 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,278,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
I think it's impossible to be termed an atheist. Everyone, deep down, believes there is SOMETHING. Why not Agnostic? To believe that something COULD be out there. It's pretty cocky and arrogant to say 100% that there is NOTHING out there. We don't even know 99% of space, but we can say there is nothing out there? No God? No driving force? No chance that something (whether you call it God or being or something else) controls the world?
How many people around here have you seen claim "00% that there is NOTHING out there.".

You appear to be arguing over the use of terms.... terms that you yourself are not using the same way the people who actually identify with them do.

What does it matter to you what people call themselves? The simple fact remains that the claim there is a god remains not just slightly but ENTIRELY unsubstantiated with even the smallest iota of evidence, argument, data or reasoning to lend it even a modicum of credibility.

Who cares if you call that fact "Atheist" or "Banana pie"? The fact is not going away any time soon it seems.

Maybe that fact, and the implications of it, are more worthy of investing ones time in than essentially sitting around thinking "Oh my god that person described himself.... and DIDNT use the word I want him to use to do it! This madness has to end!!!!".

Old 10-15-2013, 08:16 AM

5,322 posts, read 8,359,262 times
I think it's impossible to be termed a believer. Everyone, deep down, has some doubts. Why not Agnostic?

It's a matter of probabilities and reason. There is no reason for a god, and no evidence. Sure, there still might be a god, but its irrational to act and think as though there is.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:10 AM

6,861 posts, read 3,783,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
I think it's impossible to be termed an atheist. Everyone, deep down, believes there is SOMETHING. Why not Agnostic? To believe that something COULD be out there. It's pretty cocky and arrogant to say 100% that there is NOTHING out there. We don't even know 99% of space, but we can say there is nothing out there? No God? No driving force? No chance that something (whether you call it God or being or something else) controls the world?

I think it's impossible to be termed a theist.
It's pretty cocky and arrogant to say 100% that you know for certain there is SOMETHING out there, especially when there is no evidence whatsoever.
Theists, deep down, must be wracked with doubt, spending their lives praying to a god when they know deep down those prayers will never be answered. I think they know there is no god, but don't want to admit it.
What a waste of time when you could be using that time living a far more fulfilling and worthy life.
It's very liberating being an atheist. It frees the mind to think about tangible issues that are actually important.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:55 AM

14,191 posts, read 9,079,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I think it's impossible to be termed a theist.
It's pretty cocky and arrogant to say 100% that you know for certain there is SOMETHING out there, especially when there is no evidence whatsoever.
Theists, deep down, must be wracked with doubt, spending their lives praying to a god when they know deep down those prayers will never be answered. I think they know there is no god, but don't want to admit it.
What a waste of time when you could be using that time living a far more fulfilling and worthy life.
It's very liberating being an atheist. It frees the mind to think about tangible issues that are actually important.
(clap clap)
Actually theists do know "deep down" that no one is there. That's why they don't kill themselves immediately to get around all this earthly struggle nonsense and get right down to the private mansion and streets paved with gold. That's why they pray for health but visit the doctor anyway (some extreme pentecostals understand this dichotomy and insist people DON'T use the doctor, and even most fundamentalists consider them wackos). That's why they pray for understanding and wisdom but go to school anyway and if they are in a position to hire, ask about that person's education and work experience anyway, even if the prospective hire is known to be a fellow Christian. That's why they pray for protection but still want the FDA to inspect their food.

Come to think of it, the doubt isn't all that deep down after all. It's on display for all to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or