U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 01:06 AM

67 posts, read 164,266 times

Advertisements

We don't all believe in something religious, there is no evidence for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 01:13 AM

559 posts, read 719,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
You clearly don't understand Atheism or atheists. I am an agnostic athiest, that is I recognize that it is logically not possible for me to prove there is not God of any sort. Thus agnostic. However the lack of evidence and logical contradictions inherent in many god-concepts are insufficient for me to hold a belief that a god exists in any meaningful way, therefor I am an atheist. I do not rule out the possibility of a divine being, but with no empirical evidence for its existence I cannot believe that one must exist.

We also do not know that faeries do not exist. We don't even know 99% of space, but we can say there are no faeries out there? Regardless of that, we do not expect anyone to base their lives around the expectations of these hypothetical fae, make laws around their wishes, or compel others to do what the Seelie Court has decreed. Instead we sadly share our heads when we read that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, whose best known works showcased the power of reasoning, spent years looking for faeries and ghosts in his garden. Why is a god any different? For us non-theists, there really isn't one...

So... Yes, Virginia, there are atheists.

-NoCapo
NoCapo summed it up well for me. Funny, OP presented the exact same argument a theist friend came up with, the fact that I don't believe in a God is a belief in and of itself which therefore makes me not an atheist. As NoCapo said, if I went to a building once a week, put up some kind of picture on the wall, sang to it, prayed to it, ate bread, drank some wine, then yeah, maybe it would be an actual belief system and I've never argued against that....I've always had an easier time understanding a person's need for a religion in their life than a deity, some group of ideals that they base their interactions with others on like the Golden Rule...I got no issue with that.

As I've stated in other posts, the intellectual arguments go way over my head, but I understand enough of it to be 100% certain there is no god now nor ever in the history of this planet. I realize non-strict atheists always leave that door open, until such time that a deity makes itself known, but I'm not one of them.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:43 AM

It is not impossible to not believe in a god, religion is not logical. I do not think that anywhere in the deepest recesses of space an all mighty creator is watching us with a telescope, randomly helping out well off people as he looks at starving children; people being raped; or people who are about to be killed and doesn't help them. I do not believe that some man created women from a mans rib bone. Or that a space man would punish two people for wanting intelligence. Or that a snake talked the two people into desiring intelligence. Science has all answers, it is unbiased, and there is tons of evidence to support it, and best of all, there is actually logical thinking behind science. Religion is illogical has no evidence whatsoever.

Last edited by LEROYJENKINS!; 10-16-2013 at 01:57 AM..

Old 10-16-2013, 01:47 AM

And also does it really matter what we are called? We term ourselves atheist for that is what was coined for us, it really doesn't matter, it all boils down to " We don't Believe in any gods".

Old 10-16-2013, 09:03 AM

559 posts, read 719,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEROYJENKINS! View Post
It is not impossible to not believe in a god, religion is not logical. I do not think that anywhere in the deepest recesses of space an all mighty creator is watching us with a telescope, randomly helping out well off people as he looks at starving children; people being raped; or people who are about to be killed and doesn't help them. I do not believe that some man created women from a mans rib bone. Or that a space man would punish two people for wanting intelligence. Or that a snake talked the two people into desiring intelligence. Science has all answers, it is unbiased, and there is tons of evidence to support it, and best of all, there is actually logical thinking behind science. Religion is illogical has no evidence whatsoever.

Well said. I saw a picture this past weekend in the paper of a group of football players bowing down in prayer and I'm like, wait, what? Their god is going to help them win a game while millions of people are suffering? Maybe they were praying for the strength to win the game or for the other team to have some kind of weakness, who knows, but I found the very idea of it disturbing.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:34 PM

4,519 posts, read 3,928,101 times
Amazing!

Sorry, but there really are those of us who don't believe in a 'higher power', however defined by whatever doctrine is out there.

Shockingly, we can (and do) go our whole lives unconcerned by this issue. 'God' has no bearing on our lives, except when pushed upon us by those that do follow a religion.

We live, we die. That's it. And that really doesn't bother me.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:46 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,828,270 times
I am shocked the OP has not been back. Shocked I tell you.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:47 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,828,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEROYJENKINS! View Post
We don't all believe in something religious, there is no evidence for it.
Nice user name. I wonder how many people understand what it is.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:33 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,704,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
I think it's impossible to be termed an atheist. Everyone, deep down, believes there is SOMETHING. Why not Agnostic? To believe that something COULD be out there. It's pretty cocky and arrogant to say 100% that there is NOTHING out there. We don't even know 99% of space, but we can say there is nothing out there? No God? No driving force? No chance that something (whether you call it God or being or something else) controls the world?
No, I don't believe in God because I simply can't believe there is such a thing. I don't see how you can believe. But I don't really care. Your right to believe is your business. I don't deny your belief and I think it's an interesting show of your own uncertainty of the strength of your belief that you can't accept that others don't accept your justification for your existence. You need to look into your own head and heart and see what's missing.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:50 AM

9,028 posts, read 8,447,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Nice user name. I wonder how many people understand what it is.

Lllleeeerrrrooooyyyy!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or