U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2013, 10:00 AM

14,198 posts, read 9,120,967 times

Advertisements

http://www.alternet.org/belief/how-c...ing-gop-insane

Quote:
Looking over the data, it becomes evident that the “Tea Party” is just a new name for the same old white fundamentalists who would rather burn this country to the ground than share it with everyone else, and this latest power play from the Republicans is, in essence, a move from that demographic to assert their “right” to control the country, even if their politicians aren’t in power.
This article says that fundamentalism renders one oblivious to the harmful (unintended or heavily discounted) real-world consequences of doing what you feel is the Lord's work.

I find the disproportionate influence of the Tea Party alarming and extremely dangerous. It seems to be enabled largely by gerrymandered districts that are fundamentalist ghettoes in which a Tea Party legislator can act out pretty much as they wish with basically zero consequences. Even if the district disagrees with their actions, they are never going to elect a moderate Republican or Democrat in any case.

Do you see this as a temporary phenomenon that will blow over and/or implode, or do you see it as a more medium term thing that we'll be saddled with for a few more years? I don't see it as indefinitely sustainable, but I hope this doesn't go on much longer. The government is barely functioning these days, even when it's open for business.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:40 PM

8,388 posts, read 8,357,695 times
Years ago, Barry Goldwater warned the GOP about their embrace of the "religious right."

Their refusal to listen to his advice is now paying them dividends.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:18 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,125,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I find the disproportionate influence of the Tea Party alarming and extremely dangerous.
I sympathize with you, Mordant.

You are not the first person to think it is alarming and extremely dangerous to have someone disagree with you.

Don't worry so much. When you grow up, you will learn to be more tolerant of other beliefs.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:12 AM

1,868 posts, read 1,110,942 times
...it's a long shot to deep left center...it's gone!!! another home run hiker, way to go!

Old 10-14-2013, 06:45 AM

14,198 posts, read 9,120,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
You are not the first person to think it is alarming and extremely dangerous to have someone disagree with you.
I am extremely tolerant of other's beliefs (as well as other beliefs). It takes sustained extremism to raise one of my eyebrows. In a fragile economic recovery, we don't need people channeling Joseph P McCarthy and we DO need a government that can actually do meaningful negotiations and make actual decisions.

Don't think I have no qualms with liberals, either. Obama is disappointing to me in that he often doesn't seem to have it in himself to deal effectively with constant confrontation and lead proactively. Neither do I, but then at least I have the sense to stay out of politics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Don't worry so much. When you grow up, you will learn to be more tolerant of other beliefs.
And when you grow up, you'll learn not to be condescending and smug.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:15 AM

13,581 posts, read 21,758,261 times
Sorry guys but threads of a political/religious nature do not belong here.Please try the P&OC for discussions about politics but I suggest you leave religion out of it, else it gets shut down or moved back here
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism