U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 01:04 PM

11,121 posts, read 8,527,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I know, right? Just doesn't make any sense to me.

When I'm doing anything, the last thing on my mind is, "how can I do this in such a way that offends so-and-so the most?"

Purposely taking digs or trying to offend folks is kind of what you'd expect in high school.
What's even crazier is that "religious" people really aren't annoyed. This speaks more to some internal need in the OP than in any valid religious dialogue.

OP, have at. Your little act doesn't really equate to anything.

Although, it is always sad watching people become exactly what they propose to hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 01:37 PM

40,848 posts, read 18,553,245 times
You might seek advice from the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence. Halloween is a huge holiday in San Francisco and the annual Castro Street party is akin to a west coast Mardi Gras. The Sisters began as a street theater group satirizing moral issues and have become something of an institution associated with this affair. The "what will they do this year" speculation always is a hot topic in the gay community. They are also involved in fund raising for AIDS awareness education and were very prominent in raising money for the mayor's earthquake relief fund after the '89 disaster. I understand that there have been chapters of the organization which have sprung up in other cities as well.

Most of the criticism has come from Catholic institutions and publications, understandable since it is mainly the Catholic motif being employed in the costuming. I sort of suspect that the new Pope won't mind them at all.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:59 PM

23,629 posts, read 33,413,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I am of this opinion as well. Two wrongs don't make a right and all that jazz. Why lower yourself to the level of those whom normally do the scorning and mocking of nonbelievers? It just puts you on their ignorant playing field.

Halloween is a fun holiday everyone can join in. No one in America views it as a religious holiday. The OP shouldn't spoil the fun by deliberately trying to annoy religious people at a party. It's also an act of rudeness towards the people giving the party. There is no "subtle way to slightly annoy religious people." Someone is bound to be offended. At that point the party isn't fun any longer.
If the religious people can't take a little dig at them, that is their problem. The OP sounds like nothing more than a little ribbing, if Halloween is supposed to be fun, then surely Christians can tolerate a light-hearted parody of their belief, right?

Old 10-22-2013, 08:13 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I suppose you never got one of those pamphlets in your trick-or-treat bag about how evil and wicked the holiday is.

At any rate, atheists have had to deal with bible-thumping fools trying to turn their religion into the law of the land since Reagan. I see nothing wrong with not giving a crap whether a costume offends someone of a religious bent. I find their politics and distinct lack of respect for the separation of church and state offensive, and that's far more serious because that would affect my life for all 365 days of the year, not just Halloween.
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
If the religious people can't take a little dig at them, that is their problem. The OP sounds like nothing more than a little ribbing, if Halloween is supposed to be fun, then surely Christians can tolerate a light-hearted parody of their belief, right?
How do you know the hosts of the party the OP is going to attend are Christians? Your "logic" sounds a little suspect, right?

Old 10-22-2013, 08:43 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No.

How do you know the hosts of the party the OP is going to attend are Christians? Your "logic" sounds a little suspect, right?
This is what I was thinking as well. The thing is, the OP might be setting things up to spoil the party for the hosts if any of the guests are offended. I suppose if he knows all the guests and is familiar with their sense of humor it would be okay. In that case, everyone would have a good laugh. But if someone were to be offended, including the hosts, it might not be so funny.

Grandstander's picture is a hoot but like Mardi Gras it is expected and public and if people don't like it they can stay away. They know ahead of time what it's about. But to go to a party where you don't know everyone and dress in a costume that might be, in the OP's own words, just to "slightly annoy religious people" to get even with other religious people who have annoyed him over the years doesn't make sense.

These particular people haven't annoyed him. They aren't expecting retribution. Why take it out on them?

It's kind of an insult to the people who invited him to the party, I think, to use the occasion for ulterior motives that again, might ruin the party. It isn't even so much the costume itself but the intent of the costume.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:54 AM

1,420 posts, read 2,635,250 times
OK, I really wanted to do the mormon bicycle missionary thing. It would be easy and obvious but my wife said NO WAY since she's certain it would irritate the neighbors too much.

The party is tonight. I thought of another one, "Evolution Man". Start with a small chimp doll, then a bigger one, then a bigger one, tie them all together behind me. I just don't have those type dolls - I have lots of my kids dolls but I doubt I have enough to make it look good.

I liked the doppler effect idea but I'm not sure what it would look like (I'm also an EE who has worked on fighter jet radar).

Any other last minute suggestions?

Thank You so far.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:57 AM

86,988 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Go as a "Scandinavian gnome".

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-26-2013 at 08:22 AM..

Old 10-26-2013, 10:41 AM

540 posts, read 570,067 times
Someone mentioned a famous televangelist - or you can do a generic one. Dress slick, and glue/band some bills on either side of a stack of bill-sized papers, and have it peeking out of your breast pocket. Hollow out a bible and put candy in it.

Into Sci Fi much? Stargate SG-1 - dress as an Ori Prior (robe, staff, put a lot of white makeup on, draw some lines), and preach the book of Origin to people.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:48 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,278,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
I liked the doppler effect idea but I'm not sure what it would look like (I'm also an EE who has worked on fighter jet radar).
Like this essentially.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:49 AM

15,087 posts, read 12,007,068 times
Cover yourself in slime and carry something that looks like ambergris. Tell people you just escaped from the belly of a whale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism