U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 01:51 AM

15,087 posts, read 12,033,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
If the religious people can't take a little dig at them, that is their problem. The OP sounds like nothing more than a little ribbing, if Halloween is supposed to be fun, then surely Christians can tolerate a light-hearted parody of their belief, right?
Actually, by-the-book Christians wouldn't celebrate Hallowe'en at all. It's Satanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 05:21 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,821,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Actually, by-the-book Christians wouldn't celebrate Hallowe'en at all. It's Satanic.
There are many threads in the christian forum on the topic of Halloween and you will find most have no problem with it. And certainly the ones at a Halloween party don't.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:58 AM

41,164 posts, read 18,614,349 times
Quote:
They may celebrate the Eve of All Hallows..the evening before November 1st which is All Saints Day, a Catholic religious holy day which dates back to the 7th Century and represents the origins of Halloween.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:00 AM

35,674 posts, read 10,566,323 times
Your wife could go as Lyndsay Lohan, and you could be a psychiatrist.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:07 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,624,239 times
Quote:
Oh please

Old 10-30-2013, 07:52 PM

87,035 posts, read 102,723,474 times
Quote:
Good grief! Christians have celebrated Halloween for many decades here in the US.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:52 PM

I did say "by-the-book" Christians, did I not? Those who believe the bible is inerrant.

As mundane as any of that sounds, fundamentalist Christian sects often see Halloween as a dangerous holiday that could damage their souls. Examples of Christian commentary on Halloween can be found on many places on the Internet: On iSawTheLightMinistries.com, a Halloween page says that parents should “refuse to allow your kid to take part in this evil holiday of Satan.” Demonbuster.com warns the faithful: “Don't even open your doors to pass out ‘tracts.’ If you do, then you are celebrating this unholy day.” Sabbatarian.com also has a page dedicated to the fear of Halloween, but it was so incoherent that I found it difficult to find a quote.
Trick or Threat: Fundamentalist Christianity's Aversion to Halloween - Minnesota Atheists ~ Positive Atheism in Action

So Satan's Birthday is coming up and I wanted to talk to an expert about it. Here's the transcript of a conversation I recently had with a Religious Studies professor about Halloween and the Christians who hate/boycott/are afraid of it.
Satan's Birthday: A Brief Discussion on Halloween and Christianity | Brandon Ambrosino

Old 10-30-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
I did say "by-the-book" Christians, did I not? Those who believe the bible is inerrant.

As mundane as any of that sounds, fundamentalist Christian sects often see Halloween as a dangerous holiday that could damage their souls. Examples of Christian commentary on Halloween can be found on many places on the Internet: On iSawTheLightMinistries.com, a Halloween page says that parents should “refuse to allow your kid to take part in this evil holiday of Satan.” Demonbuster.com warns the faithful: “Don't even open your doors to pass out ‘tracts.’ If you do, then you are celebrating this unholy day.” Sabbatarian.com also has a page dedicated to the fear of Halloween, but it was so incoherent that I found it difficult to find a quote.
Trick or Threat: Fundamentalist Christianity's Aversion to Halloween - Minnesota Atheists ~ Positive Atheism in Action

So Satan's Birthday is coming up and I wanted to talk to an expert about it. Here's the transcript of a conversation I recently had with a Religious Studies professor about Halloween and the Christians who hate/boycott/are afraid of it.
Satan's Birthday: A Brief Discussion on Halloween and Christianity | Brandon Ambrosino
When I was a kid I grew up in a church that believed in the inerrant word of God. Believe it or not, we were "allowed" to go trick-or-treating, and our youth group even went trick-or-treating for UNICEF, with the pastor driving us around!

Halloween: A Catholic View
A HalloweenEssay: Can Christians Celebrate Halloween? (This is a denomination that believes in inerrancy)
Steadfast Lutherans » Redeeming Holy Days from Pagan Lies — Hallowe’en: A short history (More from them)

Old 10-31-2013, 03:11 AM

Every year, it's the same old thing. Fundamentalists wanting to ban Halloween because it's Satanic.

But recently, conservative Christian parents, in particular, have become vocal about their belief that Halloween is a dangerous holiday that glorifies the devil. They have begun demanding that schools stop celebrating Halloween on the grounds that it violates their religious rights.

I'm positive that I'm not imagining it.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:20 AM

About 78% of people in the US consider themselves Christians.
Statistics on Religion in America Report -- Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life
There is no way Halloween could be such a popular (and profitable) celebration if Christians were opposed to Halloween.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism