U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 10:12 PM

23,653 posts, read 33,472,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
OK, I really wanted to do the mormon bicycle missionary thing. It would be easy and obvious but my wife said NO WAY since she's certain it would irritate the neighbors too much.

The party is tonight. I thought of another one, "Evolution Man". Start with a small chimp doll, then a bigger one, then a bigger one, tie them all together behind me. I just don't have those type dolls - I have lots of my kids dolls but I doubt I have enough to make it look good.

I liked the doppler effect idea but I'm not sure what it would look like (I'm also an EE who has worked on fighter jet radar).

Any other last minute suggestions?

Thank You so far.
Too bad you abandoned the Mormon idea. At the club I went to tonight, a couple came in with the Mormon costume. HUGE hit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 10:23 PM

14 posts, read 23,052 times
Exclamation tooth fairy

Dress up as a tooth fairy as every atheists argument inevitably comes down to tooth fairies.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:15 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,811,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Slutty teacher. Which of course is the correct answer 100% of the time when someone asks what they should dress as.
I hope you took my suggestion.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:12 AM

15,087 posts, read 12,028,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
About 78% of people in the US consider themselves Christians.
Statistics on Religion in America Report -- Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life
There is no way Halloween could be such a popular (and profitable) celebration if Christians were opposed to Halloween.
I keep writing it, and you keep ignoring it. I'm talking about the heavy-duty, by-the-book, fundamentalist Christians. I added links and articles and interviews.
Again, I wasn't referring to all Christians. I hope this settles the matter.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:11 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,112,192 times
Hope you went as a Cheektowaga theist. There are plenty of them around here, but I'm sure there'd be novelty in Las Flores, CA. I live in the next town over from Cheektovegas. I remember that your parents were from Dunkirk or something else respectably WNY (a great place to be from, not so much to continue to endure)

Old 11-01-2013, 01:07 PM

87,020 posts, read 102,689,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I keep writing it, and you keep ignoring it. I'm talking about the heavy-duty, by-the-book, fundamentalist Christians. I added links and articles and interviews.
Again, I wasn't referring to all Christians. I hope this settles the matter.
Maybe we are talking over each other's heads. If you looked at the link I posted, it breaks down the religious affiliation of Americans by denomination.

Let's look at the smaller denominations first:
Mormon: 1.7% of US population; usually no probs with Halloween, prefer modest costumes
Orthodox (Greek, Russian, etc) 0.6% (of US population) No known problems with Halloween
Jehovah's Witness 0.6%; generally do not celebrate Halloween
Other Christian 0.3%; hard to know since the denom is unspecified

Now for the biggies:
Catholic 23.9%; no problems with Halloween
Evangelical Protestant: 26.3% SOME of these folks have "problems" with Halloween
Mainline Protestants: 18.1% Includes some who believe in inerrancy, none to my knowledge have any problems with kids celebrating Halloween
Historically Black congregations: 6.9%; again usually no problems with Halloween.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:37 PM

21,973 posts, read 22,151,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Let's look at the smaller denominations first:
Mormon: 1.7% of US population; usually no probs with Halloween...
Never any problems with Halloween, even among the most devout. Congregations sponsor Halloween parties and "Trunk or Treats" for the kids.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:15 PM

87,020 posts, read 102,689,903 times
To see a further breakdown of Protestant churches, see this link:

Statistics on Religion in America Report -- Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life
and download the report.

Note that 3.4% of protestants are non-denominational. Many of these non-dom churches do have concerns with Halloween, and disapprove of members celebrating the holiday in the traditional sense. 3.4%!

This link previously posted is hardly a "fire and brimstone" article.
Satan's Birthday: A Brief Discussion on Halloween and Christianity | Brandon Ambrosino

Old 11-14-2013, 11:50 PM

Now that Halloween is over your mask of denial stays on.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:22 AM

I find that understanding a little bit about human psychology is often enlightening. Religion and atheism are both on different sides of the same coin. Both extremely warped views on why we exist. Both parties will ultimately belive what ever they want to believe. Atheists claim disbelief in magic which is what they accuse religion of. What is magic? pulling a rabbit out of thin air? A universe that not only comes out of thin air but no air, no anything. Then again what really is nothing? A subjective absence of reality as we know it. Science or the rudimentary understanding of science is very new at least to the extent that understanding science has flourished exponentially.However the human race if it does not become extinct, has a lot to learn about reality or the lack of it. Both religion and atheism are simplistic dogmatic statements about the state of reality.
Humans in general find real objective open minded thinking to be a painfuller task to be avoided at all costs. In psychology there are what are referred to as cognitive distortions. The one that comes to mind is black and white thinking. It is either ridiculous, or nothing at all. You either beleive any thing or nothing. You either bother to think and except the consequences or you run and hide. Ignorance is bliss
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism