U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 12:02 PM

1,420 posts, read 2,636,874 times

Advertisements

Will be going to a Halloween party next week. Want a suggestion for a costume that might slightly annoy religious people. Something like a dressing up as a priest with a little kid hanging on his pants would be too much. Will be all adults and neighbors so don't want to push it too hard.
Also don't want to be generic, looking for something funny and reasonably easy using household/garage materials or cardboard/paint.

Maybe something that mocks/teases the religious in a subtle way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 12:15 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,882,413 times
If your not looking to mock any particular religion.
Then maybe dress as God, and not show up at the party.

If they question why you didn't show up just say you did.
And they just have to have faith that you where there.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:26 PM

40,960 posts, read 18,569,815 times
Dress up as a single cell organism and explain that it is a tribute to evolution.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:47 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,372,762 times
Default Save yourself!

Or.. dress up in something vaguely Satanic outfit, and then hand out to those innocent kiddies some Reece's Pieces as "The Spawn of.... yourself!"

"Just one bite..."
you can intone.. "...and I've got cha! Mmm...wha...Ha...haaaahhh!"

http://images.halloweencostumes.com/...by-costume.jpg

But of course, you'll need to be prepared to be hung, whipped, burnt outside at a handy cross, or to be ravenously out-chanted!

http://www.exlibrisbitsy.com/wp/wp-c..._execution.jpg

The Christians who may well be lurking at the neighborhood's kid's party (to protect their children from the spiritually bereft likes of... well... YOU of course...) will for sure hate you, so you might also want to remain firmly masked and unidentifiable.

So... don't let 'em pull off your face mask, but if that does happen, you'll have to pull out your Salvation: a well-worn "I read it every night and was only foolin' around here!" Honest, guys!", and then break into some hugely reverent biblical trash-quote....

http://taghribnews.com/images/docs/0...00130790-b.jpg

(Oh sorry: "wrong" religion.) Here; let's try again, shall we?:

http://smalbanynewyork.files.wordpre...nger.jpg?w=652

But still, keep 'em guessing with this...

http://images.halloweencostumes.com/...il-costume.jpg

Or... for your equally Satanic girlfriend...

http://images.halloweencostumes.com/...il-costume.jpg

(Uhmmm... Yum!)

Last edited by rifleman; 10-20-2013 at 01:04 PM..

Old 10-20-2013, 01:03 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,025,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
Will be going to a Halloween party next week. Want a suggestion for a costume that might slightly annoy religious people. Something like a dressing up as a priest with a little kid hanging on his pants would be too much. Will be all adults and neighbors so don't want to push it too hard.
Also don't want to be generic, looking for something funny and reasonably easy using household/garage materials or cardboard/paint.

Maybe something that mocks/teases the religious in a subtle way.
You could dress up as a Mormon missionary. Easy enough with a white shirt, black pants, tie, etc. If you happen to have a bike...even better. You probably won't offend many christians either, since they think of Mormons as a cult.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:26 PM

7,802 posts, read 5,281,003 times
Actually sometimes you can really insult the religious by COMPLIMENTING them on their religion albeit subtly.... and allow them to reach their own insulting conclusions. That way you win satisfaction for annoying them.... while the moral victory for not insulting them at all. One of my favourite examples of this is when I dressed up as the "Vitruvian Man" but as a BACKGROUND to the circle I made a large white round cardboard Eucharist.

In case you were wondering I constructed two fake pairs or arms and legs and a frame where I could use the two real pairs to hold on... or move around normally..... it was a feat of costume engineering of which even Leonardo would have been proud. Especially since the outer frame was strong enough that if I propelled myself sideways I could actually do a full 360oC roll on it. Best... Costume.... Ever.

As what people would call an "atheist" however I do not endorse your motive to deliberately offend. You would do well to explore why you feel the need to do this.

But if you simply MUST offend then simply dressing up as Mohammad is going to offend given their penchant for hating all representations of the Prophet.

If you could find an inventive way to dress up AS a "pillar of salt" you would win points for offensiveness and creativity of course.

Or you could dress up as a boat with lots of animals hanging on to the outside of it. When asked about this you could just answer "I have no idea how else noah might have fit all the animals in unless a few were clinging to the outside".

If you want to make a geographical joke you could dress the front of you up as Alaska and the back of you up as Hawaii. This is a richard dawkins paraphrase reference against creationism because as HE says... the idea that the earth is 6000 years old rather than its actual age is roughly equivalent to thinking Alaska and Hawaii are one inch apart.

I suppose you could actually go AS jesus. Or a pregnant Mary. That will offend someone somewhere. But again I question this need you have to offend.

Of course for watchers of the Big Bang Theory.... the single best costume of all time still has to be Sheldon when he went to a costume party AS the Doppler effect. Whoever wrote THAT into the script has my hat and can feed it to me too.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:50 PM

87,003 posts, read 102,592,596 times
I, too, question the need to offend. Halloween is not a religious holiday in any Christian religion, and parties are supposed to be fun.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:55 PM

6,862 posts, read 3,786,717 times
LOL. I like Aeroman's suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Dress up as a single cell organism and explain that it is a tribute to evolution.
Or Charles Darwin? You just need a big grey beard and a mock-up book of 'On the Origin of Species'. Although you may be mistaken for Santa.

I don't know. I was going to suggest dress as a famous atheist. But looking at this list of brilliant atheists, I doubt the theists would recognise any of them. They are not exactly known for their outgoing dress sense.

The 50 Most Brilliant Atheists of All Time

I like Nozz's dopler effect suggestion too. (Though on the programme didn't they think Sheldon was a zebra crossing?)

Old 10-20-2013, 07:20 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,542,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I, too, question the need to offend. Halloween is not a religious holiday in any Christian religion, and parties are supposed to be fun.
I know, right? Just doesn't make any sense to me.

When I'm doing anything, the last thing on my mind is, "how can I do this in such a way that offends so-and-so the most?"

Purposely taking digs or trying to offend folks is kind of what you'd expect in high school.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:42 PM

87,003 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
LOL. I like Aeroman's suggestion.

Or Charles Darwin? You just need a big grey beard and a mock-up book of 'On the Origin of Species'. Although you may be mistaken for Santa.

I don't know. I was going to suggest dress as a famous atheist. But looking at this list of brilliant atheists, I doubt the theists would recognise any of them. They are not exactly known for their outgoing dress sense.

The 50 Most Brilliant Atheists of All Time

I like Nozz's dopler effect suggestion too. (Though on the programme didn't they think Sheldon was a zebra crossing?)
Most of those people are known for something other than their atheism, and some I wouldn't want to be associated with. Ayn Rand is now known for her anti-science attitude; she didn't believe she could get lung cancer from smoking. And Richard Strauss, a Nazi sympathizer, at least??? I am somewhat surprised to see that Andrew Carnegie was an atheist. The Presbyterian Church is the Church of Scotland, and there are lots of Presbyterians in Pittsburgh, a city with a large Scotch-Irish population, and one of Carnegie's homes. Carnegie is more known for being a steelmaker than an atheist.
Scottish Reformation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism