U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 08:38 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,122,438 times

Advertisements

[quote=Garethe;31892397]

I hate holidays for the same reasons, with Christmas being the worst since the world pretty much shuts down for 2 weeks or more. quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Well I don't see why the OP is considered to be whining..

Really, you don't see it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 02:29 AM

6,867 posts, read 3,794,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Life is not a series of entertainments and society isn't obliged to entertain you. If you are so energetic and extroverted and social that you climb the walls when there is not a party or event going on or being prepped for then yes, lazy Sunday mornings are going to be BORING rather than a delectable treat. Curling up with a good book or sleeping in or even making love all morning if you're fortunate enough to have a partner for that, are going to be something that would ever occur to you. Taking off for the weekend to explore or camp or finding a new place to have brunch, etc., watching an old movie on TV ... the possibilities are endless, as anyone like me who used to have their entire friggin' Sunday tied up with church knows. So get a little creative and quitcha whinin'.

Who can argue with that?

Personally I think of Sunday as "Happy Atheists Day". It's the one day I get to have a lie-in with my lovely husband.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:17 PM

3,535 posts, read 2,453,367 times
[quote=Dport7674;31905048]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post

I hate holidays for the same reasons, with Christmas being the worst since the world pretty much shuts down for 2 weeks or more. quote]

Really, you don't see it?
Um no, you obviously don't live in the South. What I see is someone.....well....you know.

The only thing I see that might be suspicious is that the OP is in KC, which I think would be way more happening on Sundays than here.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:47 PM

4,246 posts, read 7,845,947 times
When we lived in the South, my husband and I toyed with the idea of starting a website called "Open on Sundays" which would just be a list of all the businesses in an area that were open on Sunday. We were sick of going somewhere for Sunday brunch only to find it closed.

Now everyone has a website, and it's easy enough to look up a restaurant's hours on Yelp.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:54 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,891,494 times
I like dedicated days off.
Leave the church people alone, they are the only ones keeping Sunday from being just another work day.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:14 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,217,394 times
Even here in Utah all the national chains are open on Sunday; I never have a problem finding open stores if I need to get something.

Still, I'm not against the whole "day of rest" idea. I really enjoy having Sundays off; I get to spend time with the family, do my hobbies, relax and generally enjoy the fruits of my other 6 days of work.

Leave it to the rabid atheists to demand we go to forced "business as usual" on Sunday too, lest they be offended that the bible said it was the right day of the week to go to church on.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:07 PM

14,197 posts, read 9,097,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Even here in Utah all the national chains are open on Sunday; I never have a problem finding open stores if I need to get something.

Still, I'm not against the whole "day of rest" idea. I really enjoy having Sundays off; I get to spend time with the family, do my hobbies, relax and generally enjoy the fruits of my other 6 days of work.

Leave it to the rabid atheists to demand we go to forced "business as usual" on Sunday too, lest they be offended that the bible said it was the right day of the week to go to church on.
I think the "day of rest" idea is also a good one, and that we have as a society largely agreed on one for what I regard as the wrong reasons, is no less fortuitous for all that. We should keep it. People can work voluntarily on Sundays, but shouldn't be made to.

The Jews also had the concept of a "year of Jubilee" where all slaves were freed and all debts forgiven every (IIRC) 50 years. I think placing hard limits on debt and obligation like that is also a healthy thing and a custom like that would restore some balance to our debt-happy society. It would prevent any one person or group from having too much power and control over others.

There are good, creative ideas to consider in all cultures and belief-systems. In a back-handed way, maybe even especially the ones whose memes have made a large, even though in some ways misguided, impact on humanity.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:35 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,012,410 times
Mmmmmm....pita. I love to go get some on Sundays at 11:00, when no one is out. We call it "heathen hour."

Old 10-24-2013, 06:16 PM

3,535 posts, read 2,453,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
When we lived in the South, my husband and I toyed with the idea of starting a website called "Open on Sundays" which would just be a list of all the businesses in an area that were open on Sunday. We were sick of going somewhere for Sunday brunch only to find it closed.

Now everyone has a website, and it's easy enough to look up a restaurant's hours on Yelp.
But what if you had followed your instincts with that website, however many years ago? You would have been the gateway to the non-conservative south's uprising and we could have started all kinds of protests and crap.

Just sayin', I'm an ex-business person and ex-Christian (not that that has anything to do with anything just thought I would clarify) and as both there are things I can appreciate about the time I spent with my business and how creative I was, it was the bomb.

Next time you have a brilliant idea, act on it. At least investigate it.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:31 PM

734 posts, read 1,471,292 times
Sunday's are typically the start of my weekend, and with Football and NASCAR on, I don't have much of a reason to go anywhere anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism