U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 11:34 AM

14 posts, read 13,428 times

Advertisements

I think Blue Laws here are so funny. Wal-Mart will rope off the retail area of the store until 12 or 1.

There are two obvious questions with this:

1) Is church attendance affected because of shopping?

2) If it is, what does that say about church?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 08:00 PM

4,891 posts, read 3,980,500 times
Something I wanted to expound upon. When I was 14 to 16, I was stricken with some strange illness. I saw a DR many times, but no DR in Texas could figure it out of course. I would wake up Sunday morning with a fever, sneezing, coughing, and generally run-down. On at least 2 occasions, my dad took me to the ER
But no one could figure out why. Years later, it was discovered to be a psycho-somatic illness, brought about by my mind to keep me out of church of Sundays. Simple reasoning: "If you are sick, then you can't go to church"
I see that now

I hated going to church that bad. When people ask,
"Did you really hate going to church that much?" I have to say YES! I not only hated church, I hated SUNDAYS! Some people dreaded Mondays, but I welcomed Mondays, because it was so far away form Sunday.
I got over this , of course, when I stopped being a Christian and stopped going to a church I did not like every Sunday.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:07 AM

534 posts, read 713,767 times
To me it seems that the trappings of of our religious consumerist society needs escape from.

While all those that hold dear the cosmic concierge and what he can instantly deliver receive further instructions from the hive mind, that is the ideal time to enjoy the solitude, solace, and serenity of a cup of coffee, the moment of falling leaves.

Of course a work by Mozart ( a gentle woodwind serenade) works wonders to shield the Borg of religious consumerism from invading my temple peace.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:58 PM

5,192 posts, read 4,394,036 times
I don't give a blankety-blank about sports and give even less of one for religion.

But I don't mind Sunday being an "off day." Even as a kid I had fun on Sundays playing, etc. Now I just think of it as a day to decompress or work on hobbies or whatever.

The blue laws in my state are pretty stupid though. No car dealerships open. Can't pawn anything. No liquor stores, etc.

I mean, I don't drink and I'm not usually looking to buy a car on a weekly basis and I generally don't find myself needing to pawn stuff on a Sunday all of a sudden, but this still strikes me as ridiculous.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:06 AM

13,325 posts, read 25,590,184 times
We have blue laws where I live. You can go out to brunch before noon, but they only serve alcohol after noon. Liquor stores are closed unless they are x miles from the NH border- apparently they have a dispensation to compete with NH liquor stores within, I think, 20 miles.
I have always worked weekends. Less traffic, more money, quieter work environment. Sunday is a good day for morning political talk shows and the Sunday paper (or pixels). Sunday is the only night I ever wanted off and haven't been able to have it off for years until now. It feels like a true day off and I don't know why, since I never went to church or religious anything.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:58 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,855,197 times
The workweek starting on Monday has something to do with Sunday closing hours. Weekend happenings and late awakenings has something to do with Sunday opening hours.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:10 PM

77 posts, read 82,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KendellH View Post
I think Blue Laws here are so funny. Wal-Mart will rope off the retail area of the store until 12 or 1.

There are two obvious questions with this:

1) Is church attendance affected because of shopping?

2) If it is, what does that say about church?
Blue Laws have nothing to do with Christianity or any religion at all.
Christians do not own Sundays, neither are they required to not work/shop on Sundays (otherwise most of America, South America, Southern half of Africa, parts of Asia, New Zealand/Australia all be shut down on Sundays.)

Usually secular European nations have Sunday closing law.

Blue Laws are for quality of life as the U.S. Supreme Court have ruled....

Old 11-05-2013, 05:11 AM
EA

6,188 posts, read 5,220,935 times
Sunday is by far the worst day of the week and it is 100% the fault of the religious.
They even passed laws, in many places, preventing things from being open Sundays, blue laws.

The sad thing is, their holy say is actually Saturday, they're just too damn ignorant about their own religion to know that.
Sunday was the pagan holy day, Constantine changed it to Sunday to appease the pagans.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:03 AM

11,179 posts, read 22,397,366 times
I guess the north side of Chicago functions differently than a lot of other places. I've never even once thought about church, and stores, restaurants and everything else seems to function on a Sunday exactly as it does on a Saturday. I don't know anyone who goes to church.

Sunday for me is actually a really fun day drinking day in Chicago. Sunday brunch is HUGE here, with food and bottomless mimosas at dozens of places. I'm normally pretty "happy" by around 2pm, and then we wander the city and I'm home and resting by 7pm so I can start the workweek.

For me Sunday is a huge party day, which is guess is funny cause it's probaby not thought of as a huge drinking day in many areas of the country.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:21 AM

14 posts, read 13,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejsito View Post
Blue Laws have nothing to do with Christianity or any religion at all.
Christians do not own Sundays, neither are they required to not work/shop on Sundays (otherwise most of America, South America, Southern half of Africa, parts of Asia, New Zealand/Australia all be shut down on Sundays.)

Usually secular European nations have Sunday closing law.

Blue Laws are for quality of life as the U.S. Supreme Court have ruled....
Did you just make something up?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_la..._United_States

Why are blue laws only enforced in religious areas and how does that contribute to quality of life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism