U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 06:11 PM

77 posts, read 82,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendellH View Post
Did you just make something up?

Blue laws in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why are blue laws only enforced in religious areas and how does that contribute to quality of life?
Wikipedia as a valid source? Anyone could add/change anything on that site.

The U.S. Supreme Court has declared Blue Laws as constitutional due to secular reasons. Blue Laws exist in many non-religious areas, such as Bergen County, NJ due to traffic reason and certain others. N.Y. has blue laws that ban alcohol from being sold before 12 pm Sunday, and more than 12 states ban car dealer sales on Sundays, while few states ban alcohol all day Sundays. North Dakota ban stores from being open before 12 pm Sundays.

Blue Laws are for quality of life reason giving people a guaranteed day of rest, less traffic, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 06:15 PM

77 posts, read 82,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
Sunday is by far the worst day of the week and it is 100% the fault of the religious.
They even passed laws, in many places, preventing things from being open Sundays, blue laws.

The sad thing is, their holy say is actually Saturday, they're just too damn ignorant about their own religion to know that.
Sunday was the pagan holy day, Constantine changed it to Sunday to appease the pagans.
Sabbath (Friday sunset until Saturday sunset) is only observed by Jews and Judaism. Sunday is the day when most people worship and attend church service.
Sunday was picked to distinguish Christians from Jewish (law), and because it was the day when Christ was risen (Easter Sunday).

Blue Laws = Secular reason with some religious origin.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:57 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,776,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejsito View Post
Sabbath (Friday sunset until Saturday sunset) is only observed by Jews and Judaism. Sunday is the day when most people worship and attend church service.
Sunday was picked to distinguish Christians from Jewish (law), and because it was the day when Christ was risen (Easter Sunday).

Nunor, is that you?

Old 11-05-2013, 10:21 PM

10,969 posts, read 10,196,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Nunor, is that you?
You need to ask?

Old 11-06-2013, 09:25 AM

14 posts, read 13,416 times
Quote:
Wikipedia as a valid source? Anyone could add/change anything on that site.

The U.S. Supreme Court has declared Blue Laws as constitutional due to secular reasons. Blue Laws exist in many non-religious areas, such as Bergen County, NJ due to traffic reason and certain others. N.Y. has blue laws that ban alcohol from being sold before 12 pm Sunday, and more than 12 states ban car dealer sales on Sundays, while few states ban alcohol all day Sundays. North Dakota ban stores from being open before 12 pm Sundays.

Blue Laws are for quality of life reason giving people a guaranteed day of rest, less traffic, etc.
Are you in denial or something? Have you ever looked at the sources of a Wikipedia page?

Here is another link if you're interested:

Blue Laws

Old 11-06-2013, 09:27 AM

2,141 posts, read 2,569,335 times
I definitely don't go to church or participate in any organized religion but still damn can the stores close for 1day? Life will go on if you can't get to the Target until Monday.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:52 PM
EA

6,183 posts, read 5,212,692 times
Quote:

So....Saturday....

Blue laws, infringements on the 1st amendment, 100% religious. 100% unconstitutional.

Blue Laws legal definition of Blue Laws. Blue Laws synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:15 PM

608 posts, read 530,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
[ Title of thread, As an atheist, Sundays are a big pita! Post #1 ]

Nothing in my city or most places for that matter are open before noon or worse, not open at all, which means it's a complete waste of a day because everything closes early on Sunday night as well....you can try and cram everything into the afternoon hours and compete with the post mega church throngs or hold off til Monday (today) when I will now have twice as much to do. And the more I think back on it, Monday's are usually like that for me.

So I got to thinking about it and given we live in a 24/7 world you'd think the practice of opening late on Sunday would have gone the way of the dodo. I would certainly frequent a business that made it known they opened by 7am on a Sunday. Or are there other reasons for the practice besides religious? A buddy believes Sunday is reserved for football, a sport I've never gotten into, I'm the only guy in Kansas City not wearing red.

I hate holidays for the same reasons, with Christmas being the worst since the world pretty much shuts down for 2 weeks or more. Mid-January, a time for the doldrums for many folks is a time when I emerge from exile and return to the stores knowing they will be free from crazy shoppers with their 10 kids in tow. I don't care for the everyday chaos of malls but walking through a deserted one during the month of January is very peaceful in an ironic sort of way. Until then, I got the internet I guess, /sigh.

Quote:
Quote:
Slang Dictionary

PITA definition

n. [a] pain in the ass. (Initialism. A computer abbreviation, not pronounced.) : The SYSOP here is a real PITA. I wish he would leave us alone.

Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions by Richard A. Spears.Fourth Edition.
Copyright 2007. Published by McGraw-Hill Education.
Quote:
Computing Dictionary

PITA definition

Pain in the arse/ass.

The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing, Denis Howe 2010

Definitions of PITA courtesy of Ryrge.

Ryrge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism