U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 02:24 AM

559 posts, read 717,998 times

Advertisements

Nothing in my city or most places for that matter are open before noon or worse, not open at all, which means it's a complete waste of a day because everything closes early on Sunday night as well....you can try and cram everything into the afternoon hours and compete with the post mega church throngs or hold off til Monday (today) when I will now have twice as much to do. And the more I think back on it, Monday's are usually like that for me.

So I got to thinking about it and given we live in a 24/7 world you'd think the practice of opening late on Sunday would have gone the way of the dodo. I would certainly frequent a business that made it known they opened by 7am on a Sunday. Or are there other reasons for the practice besides religious? A buddy believes Sunday is reserved for football, a sport I've never gotten into, I'm the only guy in Kansas City not wearing red.

I hate holidays for the same reasons, with Christmas being the worst since the world pretty much shuts down for 2 weeks or more. Mid-January, a time for the doldrums for many folks is a time when I emerge from exile and return to the stores knowing they will be free from crazy shoppers with their 10 kids in tow. I don't care for the everyday chaos of malls but walking through a deserted one during the month of January is very peaceful in an ironic sort of way. Until then, I got the internet I guess, /sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 05:04 AM

4,506 posts, read 3,908,225 times
What needs doing on Sunday that you can't do on Saturday? I find Sunday's a delight - because I can sleep in late knowing all the churchies are up in their finest being told how bad they are for not being better.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:15 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,747,775 times
Maybe you need to move. I don't seem to have this problem where I live. Stores open maybe an hour later than usual. Besides, Sundays are for watching football. Not shopping.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:40 AM

14,190 posts, read 9,077,440 times
Life is not a series of entertainments and society isn't obliged to entertain you. If you are so energetic and extroverted and social that you climb the walls when there is not a party or event going on or being prepped for then yes, lazy Sunday mornings are going to be BORING rather than a delectable treat. Curling up with a good book or sleeping in or even making love all morning if you're fortunate enough to have a partner for that, are going to be something that would ever occur to you. Taking off for the weekend to explore or camp or finding a new place to have brunch, etc., watching an old movie on TV ... the possibilities are endless, as anyone like me who used to have their entire friggin' Sunday tied up with church knows. So get a little creative and quitcha whinin'.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:50 AM

3,518 posts, read 2,445,913 times
Well I don't see why the OP is considered to be whining, it's all true about the Sunday thing in the South and suggesting that he/she move is....well.....ridiculous. Sometimes you can't get out for whatever reason until Sunday morning or evening and it IS very maddening that nothing is open. Nothing. It is better here than it used to be but things haven't changed enough in my opinion.

Besides stores opening late, closing early or not opening at all you have the blue laws here that prevent Sunday sales of alcohol. To some that is not an issue and others would say "well just stock up on Saturday" but like I said, that's not always feasible as there are other things that need to be done if you own a home and have a family like grass cutting, weed-eating, and any other multitude of chores that get done usually on Saturdays for people who work during the week. And then there are those people who don't have 9 to 5 jobs and work on the weekends who may only have Sunday to shop or do whatever.

I feel your pain OP, and there's been many a Sunday I had to drive to NC for a beer run to be ABLE to watch football or whatever. I haven't done that in quite a while but the point is that it is necessary to drive to another state (even though it's only 45 min) to buy something you can't get in your own back yard simply because it's the religious right's "Sunday". Not fair and needs to stop.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:01 PM

14,190 posts, read 9,077,440 times
As an introvert, time to myself is a delicious treat. I realize that 75% of the world finds that oppressive, but if you live in a fundamentalist ghetto and you know in advance what Sunday entails, and you can't or don't want to move to a more progressive place, then why does Sunday being a drag absent some proactive planning on your part come as such a surprise week after week? Just plan in advance for it. You do that for your fixed work schedule, and a thousand other compromises you make repeatedly -- why not this one?

Look, as much as I disagree with fundamentalist religious ideations, they have as much of a right to associate with whom they wish as we do, so it's no surprise that they make their environment to their liking, to the extent that they have the influence and control to do so. They would be just as annoyed, living in an liberal enclave, that liquor stores are open and there isn't much to choose from, church-wise, that's to their liking, that gays parade around in the streets unmolested, that THEY might be harassed or at least disrespected in their minds if they objected to any of these things, etc. And they would have no more right to complain that enjoying Sunday requires extra effort on their part.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:12 PM

124 posts, read 98,425 times
All malls and most retail stores open at 11 AM or 12 PM on Sundays until 5 - 7 PM across America except few places with blue laws. Sorry but Sunday will never be considered a regular day in a nation with 80% Christians

Old 10-21-2013, 08:17 PM

8,760 posts, read 10,832,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
Nothing in my city or most places for that matter are open before noon or worse, not open at all, which means it's a complete waste of a day because everything closes early on Sunday night as well....you can try and cram everything into the afternoon hours and compete with the post mega church throngs or hold off til Monday (today) when I will now have twice as much to do. And the more I think back on it, Monday's are usually like that for me.

So I got to thinking about it and given we live in a 24/7 world you'd think the practice of opening late on Sunday would have gone the way of the dodo. I would certainly frequent a business that made it known they opened by 7am on a Sunday. Or are there other reasons for the practice besides religious? A buddy believes Sunday is reserved for football, a sport I've never gotten into, I'm the only guy in Kansas City not wearing red.

I hate holidays for the same reasons, with Christmas being the worst since the world pretty much shuts down for 2 weeks or more. Mid-January, a time for the doldrums for many folks is a time when I emerge from exile and return to the stores knowing they will be free from crazy shoppers with their 10 kids in tow. I don't care for the everyday chaos of malls but walking through a deserted one during the month of January is very peaceful in an ironic sort of way. Until then, I got the internet I guess, /sigh.
There are many countries and societies where people agree with your view. Perhaps you would be happier in Russia, China or the anti-Christian societies of the MidEast. The majority of 'free' nations and societies generally choose to worship God! (Actually, you are in bondage to your disbelief ... and don't even realize it)

Old 10-21-2013, 08:22 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,747,775 times

Old 10-21-2013, 08:33 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,110,144 times
Lame thread.

It's not about religion..It's about it not being good business sense. There aren't enough weirdos up shopping at 7am on a Sunday to justify the cost of opening a business that early on a Sunday.

I find it hard to believe KC is totally dead on Sunday mornings. My hometown of Davenport Iowa always had 24/7 grocery stores and gas stations. Where else do you need to go on a Sunday morning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism