U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 01:37 PM

4,539 posts, read 3,953,521 times

Advertisements

... but find myself shaking my head at it all.

And how many times have I started to post, but just backed out of it? Lots.

How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 01:44 PM

41,512 posts, read 18,700,856 times
I participate on the Religion/Spiritualism forum because that in theory is neutral ground for debates, but I leave the others alone. I find them extraordinarily depressing, an endless parade of bad think, debates based on false assumptions by both sides. Not much point in entering some argument about whether the Bible wants us to do this rather than that when one's position is..."Why would anyone look to the Bible for their marching instructions?"

Old 10-22-2013, 01:49 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,928,872 times
The christian forum could be an infomercial on why someone shouldn't be religious.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:16 PM

14,198 posts, read 9,139,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
The christian forum could be an infomercial on why someone shouldn't be religious.
Yes, and they also mostly argue really obtuse points of doctrine, it is so inbred and incestuous and icky that I can't see any upside to engaging with it.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:23 PM

4,246 posts, read 7,860,190 times
No, I think it's unfair to do so. We don't let proselytizing on this forum, so I don't think it's fair for us to post on the other religion specific forums. Let them have a safe place to discuss their hobby.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:49 PM

2,438 posts, read 4,242,259 times
I peruse and sometimes post in the general Religion/Spirituality board, mostly for the "sacred circle" thread.
I also keep an eye on the Paganism board, which doesn't yet have a community of regulars, and the Judaism board, because my wife grew up Jewish and I've learned enough to understand the discussions. I've posted in the Christianity board three times but I don't look at it very often. I've glanced at the Buddhism and Islam boards but haven't been interested in what's there.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:38 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,307,449 times
It is occasionally amusing, in a despairing kind of way. The result of what happens when two or more people with entirely unsubstantiated world views come together to try to argue and resolve a point is something one can only watch with a mixture of amusement and horror.

Given the unsubstantiated nature of their claims they have no possible way to resolve their differences and the result ends up looking like the linguistic equivalent of two people with no arms having a boxing match.

The sheer arrogance involved in them telling each other that the other is wrong when they themselves have not the remotest substantiation that they are right is more than I could ever muster or employ.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:48 AM

7,945 posts, read 4,770,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
... but find myself shaking my head at it all.

And how many times have I started to post, but just backed out of it? Lots.

How about you?
Same. It's hard to imagine treading on their ivory towers, but sometimes I try to clear issues up between them... Most of the time I feel like my thread-starter points will be avoided anyway, and that my questions won't be answered in very meaningful, direct, and completely thought-through ways; leaving me to look like a troll just trying to find contradictions and vagaries in everything they say... It's not true, I truly wish our systems (including religious systems) were more perfected.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:22 AM

8,820 posts, read 6,385,279 times
I never read over there, I'd speak my mind and get slapped and it's not worth my time..

Old 10-23-2013, 07:08 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,130,493 times
I don't read much from the Christian forum but I always look at the Islam and Judaism forums.

In the Judaism forum, they seem to argue a lot. Like someone in that forum said, "Two Jews, three opinions."

The Islam forum is kind of boring because most of the people just brag about the Quran and Muhammed being so perfect. Except for one participant, they can't see to participate in any real discussion.

However, I still learn things from these two forums and that is why I go there. Since I have been raised in a mostly Christian society, I know all I need to know about that religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism