U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 06:47 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,894,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
In that case, Portland Oregon, the city with the highest number of strip clubs per capita, would be the mecca. .
There is something to be said for quality over quantity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 09:38 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,126,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
What could satisfy you as unassailable proof of a god rather than an extremely advanced alien magician?
There is noting that would convince me there is a god.

Since I have a very limited awareness of the universe around me, it would be very easy to fool me. Sure, I can "see" things that give off electromagnetic radiation of a certain frequency, but I am totally unaware of raditaion in other frequencies (x-rays, radio waves, etc.) and I am totally unaware of magnetic waves.

In short, my senses are too limited to know what the truth is, and I have to base my beliefs on instinct and common sense.

I do not believe there are gods.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:13 AM

10,202 posts, read 6,121,515 times
From God? I guess it up to think back to when I was a child and then matured.

I look for proof of Santa Claus , the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and I never got them. After a while it became apparent there was no Santa Claus, nor Easter Bunny, or a Tooth Fairy even though many people leave in those 3 entities.

I would require the same of a god, as I would of those 3 childhood fantasies. There is no one that is able to provide that.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:26 AM

3,684 posts, read 4,957,667 times
Quote:
The standard position of atheists is that the theists assert and declare, but do so in the absence of evidence or proof that a god, or the god, exists. "Show us the proof" we write....but...
How would we know if we had at last met a god...or met the god of gods? What could satisfy you as unassailable proof of a god rather than an extremely advanced alien magician?
OP,
this question has gotten a lot of response, so my response may have already been covered. If it has, then my apologies as i haven't gone through all the replies.

For me, what would constitute as proof is if the 'god' being physically revealed him/her/it self in a form understood by me and my fellow human, but went a step further and did the following:

1. explained how he/she/it evolved into being, and if evolution wasn't part of his existence, provided a testable and verifiable explanation of how the god-being came into existing

2. provided verifiable and testable instant written responses to the top 100 unsolved mathematical problems. (btw, "instant" because he/she/it is god, so....shouldn't need the weekend to come up with the answers )

3. provided a valid and reasonable explanation as to why he/she/it would need to be prayed to and worshiped.

P.S. #3 exists simply because #1 and 2 can technically be achieved by an alien form of life telling us things that to them would be trivial. If they can provide a 'reasonable and valid' explanation as to why they should be worshiped (i doubt it), I'd get my praying mat ready!

Last edited by Thinking-man; 11-05-2013 at 11:01 AM..

Old 11-05-2013, 11:23 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,017,050 times
You are clearly dissatisfied, and have been for years, that atheists see your concept of a god as but one among MANY concepts of a god. We were perfectly willing to go forward with your concept and discuss it, but we were not going to stipulate that your concept is THE concept of a god by those who believe in one. So you are perpetually frustrated by our insistence upon using facts in the discussion, and you berate us for being obtuse. Why will it be different in the next thread?

Old 11-05-2013, 02:45 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,894,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryrge View Post
Dear atheists and everyone, please, I am leaving this thread.

I am going to start a new thread on "Concepts and the existence of God."
I predict that thread will be highly unproductive and highly entertaining.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:14 PM

5,307 posts, read 4,418,737 times
Quote:
The standard position of atheists is that the theists assert and declare, but do so in the absence of evidence or proof that a god, or the god, exists. "Show us the proof" we write....but...

We have Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law:
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

So, even if there was a sudden global wide display of an entity which is capable of performing things we believe outside natural law, would that be god or would it just be an entity with abilities outside of our understanding? If some alien entity made the stars in the night sky move about and spell out "I am your god", would that be sufficient or might we still be suspecting that the alien's actual ability was to plant illusions in our brains?

How would we know if we had at last met a god...or met the god of gods? What could satisfy you as unassailable proof of a god rather than an extremely advanced alien magician?
I believe that any "God" I might encounter (while alive) would of course be "an extremely advanced alien magician," as you put it. If I die and encounter God; fine: a benevolent God would not fault me for not believing in Him, since he gave me absolutely no reason to even think he might exist (an evil God, on the other hand, would explain a lot).

Your question postulates that there actually exists a "real" and singular God, one that interacted with humans in the past, and which is the creator and operator of the universe. I don't see this as being the case; human beings have always tried to anthropomorphize the world to make it more understandable and predictable. The idea of "God" is just another fiction that is interesting to think about, but there are far more intricate and internally-consistent fictitious realities sitting there in your Nook or Kindle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism