U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 08:49 PM

278 posts, read 255,638 times

Advertisements

How do you know you are not deluding yourself?
What experience did you have? Is it repeatable? Can people on this board experience the same event and come to the same conclusion as you did?
If not, I have to say you are your god's chosen one, and the rest of us are here to play our pre-ordained parts and end up in the fiery inferno. Thanks for taking great pains to hide yourself from us, Miss Hepburn's god.
See how crazy this sounds? This is the kind of solipsism that draws the ire of the non-believer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 03:40 AM

17,853 posts, read 12,236,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Hi mordie, yes you and I are always good.

PS... I don't understand blind faith. I believe it leads to people believing some written words
by "who knows who", then a pastor or Elder Fathers of a Church in 700 AD's interpretation, so now a belief
is molded in the minds of millions for centuries....and they haven't had any direct experience.
SO...then dogma and rigidity starts in...anger bec of feeling threatened of anothers alternative belief.
Geeze!

Critical thinking...aha, in spiritual matters, I have no critical thinking, Unsettam...I just have my experience
And trying to get rid of concepts, even my own from last month.

Brain chemistry...yes, my brain chemistry is so changed when I have what Christians call
the Holy Spirit visits me....it's as if some sleeping folded gray matter "unfolded", was
squirted with a neat chemical, sparks of synapes are going off and Bada Bing....I'm knocked on my butt,
mouth dropped in awe looking at the trees and mountains as they are alive, breathing with Consciousness
and love unimaginable.

If a person were to have an altered state of awareness...the kind where you don't need
an electron microscope to see into things, the Doors of Perception are opened...it doesn't happen in some
Vacuum....there are chemicals shootin' all OVER my brain. Oh yeah....
Yessirree.

This Being works in a chemistry LAB, as far as I can see.

However, I am just explaining where I am personally coming from. I doesn't matter to me if
you see it differently.

I just would like peace with atheists and theists already.
But, I know people like to debate.
Sounds like you have made a neuronal connection with your beliefs to turn on your 'happy' chemicals

http://www.psychologytoday.com/files...-chemicals.pdf

Old 11-02-2013, 08:34 AM

15,440 posts, read 12,165,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDragon View Post
How do you know you are not deluding yourself?
What experience did you have? Is it repeatable? Can people on this board experience the same event and come to the same conclusion as you did?
If not, I have to say you are your god's chosen one, and the rest of us are here to play our pre-ordained parts and end up in the fiery inferno. Thanks for taking great pains to hide yourself from us, Miss Hepburn's god.
See how crazy this sounds? This is the kind of solipsism that draws the ire of the non-believer.
Sorry, SteelDragon missed your post...

Deluding myself...there is something innate in the core of our beings, in my opinion, I have no
proof and I won't be going around quoting the Bible, but it says it somewhere in there, too....
Like we all have a conscience (except mentally ill people, I know).Of course, anyone can think I'm delusional. That's why I say...
Don't believe unless you exp it yourself. Why? Bec someone "says" something? No. Prove it for yourself...that is
if it interests you.

The experiences I have had are too many...putting them down is too easy for people...they can pooh pooh "anything".
I have spoken sooo many times in detail about my Divine Visitations, Revelations , Divine.
Insights or Cosmic Consciousness exps., altered states , not on drugs...seeing "A world in a grain of sand..."
What would they mean to anyone that is dubious....there's no reason to share them...it's the old wisdom of dogs tearing you apart,
if you do. Now, I do say I will share them in pm's, oh, called dm's here.

Fiery inferno? Isn't one, unless it is self created.

I think there should be a separate thread on, "Why does God hide Himself?"
It's a pretty big topic...I do not find that "He" does...sure I used to when I was a child with childish ideas of Who
this God was...there is a formula for God to reveal Himself...and it is a right of ours...to have Him do so.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:32 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,012,033 times
Do you think those "mentally ill" people know they don't have a conscience? Do you think someone with delusions would always know they are experiencing delusions? Do you think that all personal experiences should be believed in as reality?

Old 11-04-2013, 11:47 AM

41,131 posts, read 18,604,845 times
It comes down to what I have previously identified as religious exceptionalism. The same people who would exercise normal skepticism in most situations, for whatever reasons toss those standards out the window when it comes to religious beliefs.

Were I to approach an average Christian and claim that I had a talking dog, would this claim be accepted on the basis of mere assertion on my part? Wouldn't the Christian demand a demonstration of the talking dog? Wouldn't this person insist on checking the dog to make sure that there were no hidden speakers or other electronic devices creating the effect? And if this person was unable to discover any trick behind the phenomena, wouldn't this person still reserve judgment, thinking that it was a trick so clever that it it is not possible to detect the means for engineering it with a cursory inspection, before concluding that, yes, this is a talking dog?

Why do these same strict standards get trashed when it comes to religious claims? "Here is a story of a miracle which supposedly happened 2000 years ago and the only source of information we have on it was written several decades later by the fanatic cult followers of the person who is supposed to have performed the miracle. There is no outside confirmation of any sort, only this 2000 year old claim."

Oh....okay, sounds good to me, must be true.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:33 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,285,422 times
Quote:
Ya mean if your meds are making you exp God get more!!!
Yes, I agree!!
So given there is not a SHRED of argument, evidence, data or reasoning that even begins to suggest there is a god.... you instead recommend people drug themselves up to the point where they believe it anyway? Into mind control much?

How is this any different from telling people "If taking drugs makes you believe you can fly.... then take more drugs!!!".

Old 11-05-2013, 10:03 AM

5,945 posts, read 4,875,731 times
Default Why do people need proof of God. Who cares?

Believers obviously require no proof.

That's why it's referred to as religious faith.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:55 AM

15,440 posts, read 12,165,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
Do you think those "mentally ill" people know they don't have a conscience? Do you think someone with delusions would always know they are experiencing delusions? Do you think that all personal experiences should be believed in as reality?
I believe you know the answer to all those.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:00 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,012,033 times
I believe I do as well. I was trying to get you to consider them.

You believe because you experienced it yourself, and you encourage others to believe under the same conditions. Yet you seem to understand that mentally ill people aren't always aware of their changed situations, that individuals do not always know when they are experiencing delusions, and that not all personal experiences should be believed in as reality.

Those two don't fit together for me.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:49 PM

8,341 posts, read 9,811,993 times
Quote:
I mean it...why is it an issue on so many Forums?
Who cares if some people have bind faith, have seen God or have not seen God?

I say believe in what you have seen or experienced.
Sure, be curious that others say they have seen God, UFOs, ghosts....be open..
recognize you personally have not experienced it...be polite that others have...and
wait...maybe you will see a Leprachaun...or maybe you won't...whatever.

I haven't seen a Leprachaun...but camping in England for 3 days...whoa...I REALLY
felt them in the dewy wee hours!!!! Uncanny. Whew.
Now I understand all the references...didn't until then.

Be open, curious...never shut down possibilities, I say. No need for hostile debates or name calling.
Be respectfully curious.
To me that is a sign of an advanced soul.
To me, it's a sign of gullibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism